Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
In this day and age it seems so outdated not to be able to preorder this game and get early access. Its a shame because I think the audience crossover between this game and Bloodborne is going to be quite high...and I highly doubt this will be choice #1 for next week's purchase. Looking forward to it personally but, yeah, don't see any point in buying till I'm done with Bloodborne.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I must be weird because I have zero interest in Bloodborne. Possibly it is because I've always been much more of a wizardy type in RPGs and have thus really not gotten much into Dark Souls / Witcher style games.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I like Dark souls quite a bit but not having a PS4, or wanting one, makes the decision on what to play next week really easy.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I'm not seeing the crossover connection between Bloodborne and Pillars. Two completely different game genres on completely different platforms. Now, they both look to be good games, they have that in common, but that's about it. It's like saying Dying Light and Cities:Skylines have crossover appeal just because they came out around the same time.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'll be playing both this and Bloodborne. Most likely Bloodborne first since it's probably shorter.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm a little late to the party here, just started reading up on this game a couple days ago... so sorry for the total noobness

What game system/ruleset is this based on? Is it D&D-based or just something completely unique to the game?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm a little late to the party here, just started reading up on this game a couple days ago... so sorry for the total noobness

What game system/ruleset is this based on? Is it D&D-based or just something completely unique to the game?
It's unique. It uses fairly standard RPG stuff from what I have seen and it has an ingame encyclopedia thing where you can read about every mechanics in detail with hyperlinks and shit. So you can look up DR(damage reduction), then it'll tell you how it reduces damage and you can click damage to see how damage is rolled, which will also tell you about miss/hit/graze/crit and accuracy/deflection mechanics and will/resolve/fortitude rolls and shit like that and you just read it all. But yeah it's fairly basic and it doesn't have weird stupid shit like THAC0, STR 18/89 and AC being reversed. I mean the D&D shit made sense once you sat down and tried to understand, but it was such a fucking mess at first.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
When I was a kid and first played BG1 I was very confused why my starting armor had a higher THAC0 rating than armor I was finding later. Since I had no clue what THAC0 was I just assumed bigger=better.

Or was it AC? I can't remember. All I remember is I had no idea what was going on.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, both. Lower THAC0(To hit armor class zero) is better, and lower Armor class is better. Whoever designed both of those must have been an avid golfer.

Raign

Golden Squire
Yeah, both. Lower THAC0(To hit armor class zero) is better, and lower Armor class is better. Whoever designed both of those must have been an avid golfer.
Laugh, first edition D&D rules were full of some crazy stuff that most people did not understand and rarely used... even the games based on the rules usually just glossed over them or skipped them. There were whole massive tables that showed how particular weapons fared against certain armor types (e.g. a flair got a bonus to hit against heavy armor like plate, where as a sword got bonus against leather and cloth) but the problem was, they never really said anywhere how to read the table properly. It all made sense if you sat down and studied it, but none of it was straightforward at all.

So stoked for this and Tides of Numenena. Those coupled with some of the decent titles that have already launched (Wasteland 2, Divinity: OS, First half of Darkest Dungeon) have brought back my love of gaming -- something all the shitty MMOs of the last few years had managed to strangle the life out of.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone know if the creators will make more money if I buy from Paradox or does Steam get the same cut?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Direct distributor is usually the better option, but I doubt you will get 100% correct answer because it's almost always under NDAs

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Preordered but couldn't wait so I grabbed a "beta" build to check out the different classes. Going Chanter for sure, they are really interesting and unique class, you twist three chants together that do various things, then you can cast a powerful spell. Combat on hard is rough and it took me a while to get use to the whole endurance vs health thing but great system. Health is your overall life which is much higher than your endurance but your endurance is what you use per fight, if you lose all your endurance in a fight you go unconscious, but if the rest of your party wins you pop up again but deduct a chunk of health. The only way to get heal back is from resting via inns, or camping which uses 1 supply of your maximum of 4 you can carry.

Not sure I like the rogue class, maybe they get better with levels but not seeing a lot of utility or damage from them in combat.

I am going to stop playing it since launch is so close but even more pumped now.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Rogues are apparently good damage dealers and good debuffers, but they take specific group setups to play well and are still at risk of dying easily, which ranged chars aren't. Can also do ranged rogues though, which apparently do very good damage.

Good thing about this game is you don't actually need a rogue if you don't want. You can put mechanics(traps detection and traps themselves) and stealth on any character you want.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I even have the 26th off coincidentally. Should be a good time.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Laugh, first edition D&D rules were full of some crazy stuff that most people did not understand and rarely used... even the games based on the rules usually just glossed over them or skipped them. There were whole massive tables that showed how particular weapons fared against certain armor types (e.g. a flair got a bonus to hit against heavy armor like plate, where as a sword got bonus against leather and cloth) but the problem was, they never really said anywhere how to read the table properly. It all made sense if you sat down and studied it, but none of it was straightforward at all.

So stoked for this and Tides of Numenena. Those coupled with some of the decent titles that have already launched (Wasteland 2, Divinity: OS, First half of Darkest Dungeon) have brought back my love of gaming -- something all the shitty MMOs of the last few years had managed to strangle the life out of.
Old school RPG gaming is back. although I expect this one to be a bit less beefy than bg1 or 2.

Pillars of eternity
Tides of numerena.
sword coast legends
and there is a baldurs 1.5 sequel with same engine slated for 2015 as well