Planetside 2

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I saw Timmac playing and jumped in last night. I am not familiar with TR though. Is there a carbine similar to the pulsar C? Decent medium range with select fire or semi auto?

I found an optic I like, the one with the big ass long +

I've got a ns11 pdw for close up, usually with the night optic.

Also, I'm getting what I can only describe as a draggy mouse. It seems to happen when my fps drops below 60.

Having just written rawinput mouse code I'm guessing it is the message queue getting a bit flooded and dropping messages. Mouse comes in on WM_INPUT the way I did it.
It's the Cougar.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Fired this up again last night with some buddies. TR is for fags, NC is for CHADS!

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Cougar hahaahah. Thanks :D

It isn't select fire but it shoots so slow I can tap it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Looks like summit and timmac are on indar tonight.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So when is the PS 3 coming out? Shit, id even play this with an updated engine so shooting was not so clunky.

Hekotat

So when is the PS 3 coming out? Shit, id even play this with an updated engine so shooting was not so clunky.
I keep trying to play this but it's ruining my memories. High ping players, shit hitreg and zero guilds seem all that remain.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I keep trying to play this but it's ruining my memories. High ping players, shit hitreg and zero guilds seem all that remain.
Planetside (both 1 and 2) always had a fairly shitty "infantry" experience. Bad hit reg, ping in large battlefields, inconsistent weapon balance, etc. It was always a blast to me because of the 100v100v100 vehicle warfare and map tactics. No game has ever come even close to replicating the level of vehicle warfare available in a Planetside game.

If they ever made a PS3 and allowed for destructible environments, I'd be hard pressed to ever play another game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Planetside (both 1 and 2) always had a fairly shitty "infantry" experience. Bad hit reg, ping in large battlefields, inconsistent weapon balance, etc. It was always a blast to me because of the 100v100v100 vehicle warfare and map tactics. No game has ever come even close to replicating the level of vehicle warfare available in a Planetside game.

If they ever made a PS3 and allowed for destructible environments, I'd be hard pressed to ever play another game.
EQNext/Landmark terrain but with better physics in a PlanetSide-like game. That'd be the dream.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

And of course we keep saying a 40k game like this would print money like Elden Ring

Maybe the right someone will hear it

Hekotat

I always had fun up I til the last few years. It's gotten worse

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I heard people mention a net limiter. I'm guessing it is a tool to throttle incoming packets. This probably explains how some people can bust into a room and kill 5 people that are all shooting at them.

Nightmare

Golden Knight of the Realm
I heard people mention a net limiter. I'm guessing it is a tool to throttle incoming packets. This probably explains how some people can bust into a room and kill 5 people that are all shooting at them.
It goes way beyond net limiter. The same people have been cheating at PS2 for years. Some of them were doing it way back in the PS1 days. A fully modern Planet Side 1 Style game with active inventory and not this bullshit battlefield style class system of PS2 would be the fucking tits. Shit, just PS1 released with proper anti-cheat and fixed net code would be super fun. The issue with modern games like this is that it's extremely niche, by design as much of the players skill is removed from the game as possible to even the playing field and to reach as large an audience as possible.

Your average person will not continue to pay for a game when they just get rolled by the top 10% of players constantly. This is what games like Planet Side and Dark Age of Camelot learned. It's why we have games like World of Warcraft and PS2.

If I remember correctly, during alpha, they said they only want the power of a character ever to be a 20% difference between no gear and maxed out gear. That way your more skilled players could never out pace the rest of the player base to a certain degree.

If you pay attention to what nerfs have been made in PS2 you'll realize a lot of them were made to mitigate against higher skilled gameplay. For example; Air superiority fighters. Your average player isn't going to go 20:1, 40:1, or 80:1 in dog fights. They might go 2:1 or 3:1. Some of us however, took the time, figured out the mechanics, honed our skills, then absolutely shit on everyone else in the air. This of course drives away your average player so they nerfed the piss out of everything in the air.

So PS2 has this issue where they have narrowed the gap in player skill with game mechanics, they've evened the playing field so to speak. A funny side effect of this is that it paints a giant target on the people that cheat. They become a statistical anomaly. They may be a good player to begin with, but even the greatest players have off days. No one plays "in the zone" or at peak at all times. Some cheats just make a good player look like they are having a great day, all the time. You can find these people in PS2. Just look at the stats of players, especially in vehicles like the mag rider where they just never miss. There's whole groups of them like that.

I know that entire outfits have reported people for crazy in-the-open cheating and nothing was ever done. The game can be fun at times but when cheating on this level takes place.. Meh.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I know that entire outfits have reported people for crazy in-the-open cheating and nothing was ever done. The game can be fun at times but when cheating on this level takes place.. Meh.
Welcome to Modern FPS'. It's why the genre has been in such a shitty state for so long and why I wish more devs would really take the Valorant approach.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Welcome to Modern FPS'. It's why the genre has been in such a shitty state for so long and why I wish more devs would really take the Valorant approach.
Rootkit people's computers?

Always Sunny Fx GIF

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Yup. I wrote one recently because a friend and I fucked around with it back in 2014 or so. Though, they went a bit harder than I had an interest in, and started spawning game objects like giant meteors / construction sites raining hellfire on people. I think they did a flying sunderer at one point. That's a bit gamebreaking for me, but hilarious nonetheless.

Recently, I wanted to see if the interpolation bug still worked.

It does. It's hilarious. Players interpolate into the air, you can shoot them, and when you turn off the net limiter, all the damage lands and your character never moves till the net limiter is off.

edit: found one of the videos he was featured in

and another

Last edited:
  • 1Like