Playstation 4

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yes you do I need moar plats

btw Diablo plat is a pain in the fucking ass. Not really hard just extremely everquest levels of grindy. Well Hardcore can be hard if you don't pay attention.
Hadn't looked at it, but I'd believe it - plan to get the Ultimate Evil Edition on PS4 down the road. (Probably not immediately though, simply because wife will want a second copy plus it's coming out in such a busy window)

Ruhl

Boner Donor
Is it worth upgrading the HD in the PS4 to something likethis?Think it's the HD that Sean had linked in a different thread? Or any other suggestions? Getting the Destiny bundle so I have a little time till I upgrade. Thanks in advance

Vaclav

Depends on library size you plan to keep (and how much digital - I don't think disc-based versions take up quite as much drive space [although they do install quite a bit]) - with 6 full games on the system and a number of small PS+ titles I'm still about 30% free on mine at the moment with the stock drive. When it comes to performance drive upgrades (even SSD) aren't making any substantial difference for PS4 that I've seen thusfar. So it just comes down to storage.

However this is a SFW part of the forums, so I'd suggest removing the pic ASAP.

spronk

FPS noob
i installed that exact same drive into my ps4 and it made load speeds slightly better but not a huge difference. It was under 10% difference for AC4 and Need for Speed, the two games I tried with each drive, like going from 45 seconds to load a level to 41 seconds, that kinda thing.

Frankly at this point I say don't bother, there are simply not enough PS4 games for any normal person to need more storage and the SSD cache makes no noticable difference to most gamers. It won't make much of a difference in Destiny at all, the load times are pretty long but once you are in a level there isn't any more loading and loading "faster" won't give any advantages in PVP like BF4 (the level doesn't start until everyone loads in). In a year or two when you may actually fill up a hard drive then it might be a good time to do it, but by then there will be 2 and 3TB ssd cache drives.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
There was an article, maybe on Anandtech, that did a game load time comparison on various hard drives for the PS4. The hybrid drives were barely quicker than typical 5400RPM units. SSDs, of course, were the fastest.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Game informer has a article in this months mag about doing it.

Haven't decided if I wanna throw a ssd it yet. Prolly will eventually cuz I am no fuckin nerd.

Vaclav

Has there been any talk of ever having external drive support?
I doubt it, PS3 it was rumored for a long time - but the only thing was some voodoo you could do to make an external connect to the normal HD hookup on the inside with the right cabling.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I doubt it, PS3 it was rumored for a long time - but the only thing was some voodoo you could do to make an external connect to the normal HD hookup on the inside with the right cabling.
Why don't they support it? It's not like you can only use some special Sony HDD like they do with their memory card bullshit. Is there some kind of security rick to the machine if you allow someone to connect a external? They have to have some reason.

Vaclav

Why don't they support it? It's not like you can only use some special Sony HDD like they do with their memory card bullshit. Is there some kind of security rick to the machine if you allow someone to connect a external? They have to have some reason.
Considering the USB's don't even recognize anything besides the Controllers, Vitas, and USB drives - I'd imagine it's just that they don't feel like making the USB "drivers" for it or whatever the OS needs.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The thought of running games off an external drive frightens me. I haven't done anything with USB 3.0( I think ps4 is 3.0) so I'm not sure if there is a performance hit, but you'd really want it connected to the sata disk controller anyways.

The difference for ssds is marginal anyways, but over the next year there are going to be very large capacity ssds becoming affordable.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
The thought of running games off an external drive frightens me. I haven't done anything with USB 3.0( I think ps4 is 3.0) so I'm not sure if there is a performance hit, but you'd really want it connected to the sata disk controller anyways.

The difference for ssds is marginal anyways, but over the next year there are going to be very large capacity ssds becoming affordable.
I've been doing this for years with my Wii which is only USB 2.0

so I'm sure USB3 could handle PS4 games. (just looked USB3 nominal transfer rate 625MB/s ya i"m sure it could do it.)