Playstation 5

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Some Best Buy rep called me the other day asking for the serial number of my Echo Dot I recently purchased. They had some special for a Fire Stick and Echo for $40. Needed something for the TV I moved to my garage / wood shop.

Anyways, she calls asking for the SN to “close out my purchase” and I’m thinking what the fuck kind of scam is this that someone wants the serial number of my Alexa? She was like “you can find it on your box it came in” which I had already thrown away. She said okay no problem we’ll look in to it.

Couple days later I get a $20 refund on my Visa from Best Buy. Was the strangest thing that has happened and about the only free thing I’ve ever benefited from.
What Best Buy employee did you get that had the extra time and gave a fuck? Wow! Nice job.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
While I was never crazy about the design from the start, I was willing to keep an open mind until seeing it up close and on display. Having said that, this is hands down the ugliest and dumbest looking console I have ever owned. I thought the disc less might look a little more symmetrical, but laying flat (only way I can fit it) it looks crooked and off balance. Like who in the fuck actually signed off on this? My first priority will be to find a spot to hide this eye sore.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Whats crazy is the demand for this is so high, the designer is probably going "fuck man what a masterpiece, people are buying these things like crack!". Half hoping they have a redesign at some point when I actually need one - Selling mine tomorrow for about $1k, which I'm stoked about.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Whats crazy is the demand for this is so high, the designer is probably going "fuck man what a masterpiece, people are buying these things like crack!". Half hoping they have a redesign at some point when I actually need one - Selling mine tomorrow for about $1k, which I'm stoked about.
Local sale or you go eBay?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I typically do the same and in Christmas 2019 I did the same with the ol' credit card. Bought like 12 Ps4 games, and Nintendo Switch with like 5 games? Was insane as I haven't touched most of those games yet here I am trying to buy an Xbox or Ps5. Why? I don't need it. I just want it and that's where my problem is. My hobby isn't necessarily gaming. It's technology. Just saw the Apple Event streamed on Youtube, and now I want a Mac Mini for no other reason than it's cool. Technology hobbies get expensive. Lol

I probably saved thousands of dollars over the years by only buying games when I was ready to play them. Case in point, you buy something new for $60, finally get to playing it eight months later, and at that point it's worth $15 or something. Might as well just get things when you're actually going to do something with them. Had friends who would buy tons of games and play a fraction of them. One friend had a literal bookcase of games, and most of them were still in shrinkwrap when I'd go over there. It was always like "yeah I'll get to all of these". The problem is that he was dirt-poor and barely scraped by, by splitting expenses with his GF. So he'd be complaining about money while talking about going out and buying some new game that he wasn't going to play.

Anyway, yeah, I saved a ton by not engaging in this kind of thing. I have noticed in the past couple of years since I've had a lot more money to play with that all of a sudden it's a lot easier for me to just buy things I'm not actually ready to play yet. It's a new phenomenon for me. Like there are 3 games I'm interested in getting right now that I don't have, and instead of waiting til after the PS5 launch wave dies down, I'm ready to just order them now and put them on the pile despite knowing I won't get to them until at least January. So I get how people do this.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
(not me)

Emp7eSNXUAElUGW

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Dual sense demo thing is pretty damn sweet lol

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
One thing that I immediately noticed about the controller that is kind of triggering me is the O button is right on side curve. So if you are using R1, the side of your index finger rubs against it. Maybe a minor gripe, but I immediately noticed it. I like the adaptive triggers. If they actually hold up it is a solid edition to this gen console, but that's a big if.

• 1Like

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
If standing the ps5 vertically, how much clearance do you need above it? My shelf is about an inch above the ps5 and I’m guessing that’s not enough airfow.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Mine is horizontal with the stand. Seems perfectly fine that way.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well BestBuy decided to betray me. Delivery date is now the 16th. They gave me a tracking Wednesday, still hasn’t been picked up by courier and still haven’t billed me.

Oh well, good thing I’m enjoying AC:Valhalla :)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Pretty sure Walmart isn't happening for non-botters. Where are you actual humans going to score these when they're available?

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
The PS5 is huge. Like Piano big. And not visually attractive. Perhaps I have just gotten used to the PS4/PS4 Pro and the XSX but man, it was just jarring to take it out of the box. I love the controller but the console itself is an eyesore. I love looking at the XSX. Perhaps its just the newness/the paradigm shifting nature of the PS5 and perhaps over time I will adjust to it.

The UI, though, is killer, and its so responsive. I much prefer the PS UI to the XB UI.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I don’t own a bag large enough.

When I picked mine up, I asked the store if they had a bag big enough for it, joking "so I can walk to my car without getting mugged".

...they did not have any bags big enough. I didn't get mugged, at least.

So far I've spent most of the day installing and updating things and figuring out which games to actually put on this thing for now. The hard drive space is atrocious, and I'm already out of it after only installing the few games I'm actively working on or plan to play soon.

Anyone know if there's any real difference between HDMI cords? I've got one of those slightly-expensive Rocketfish high-speed HDMI cords with gold/nickel plugs around here somewhere, wondering if using that instead of the nondescript included HDMI cord would result in any improvements.