Playstation 5

spronk

FPS noob
i have a feeling it'll be almost impossible to actually get a ps5 in 2020. They plan on "only" making 5m WW by march 2021. They sold like 3m just in the USA in the first 72 hours, and around 7m in the first 3 months. 5m worldwide in the first 4-6 months may mean only 2m or less in the first 30 days, spread out across NA, Europe, and Japan that is gonna be "wii at release" kinda thing.

$(KGrHqF,!ocFCreMbg(6BQs9eC8,j!~~60_57.JPG

(yeah i know thats a wii u not a wii)

this next gen is wildly underwhelming though. Xbox has already come out and said every new game will run on older xboxes, there will be no X2 exclusives for a while. Sony hasn't said fuck all about PS5 exclusives and I have to imagine stuff like Spidey 2, HZD2, etc are probably holiday 2021 releases. Cyberpunk 2077 is releasing previous gen. So you'll be able to run PS4 stuff a little faster on a PS5, woopee.

I'm more excited to hear about nvidia 3xxx cards and see what an improvement Cyberpunk would be on them. Also LG OLED's doing VRR, HDR, and gSync on PCs. Cyberpunk on a 3xxx on a 2020 OLED will be glorious.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Depends a lot on how the economy is doing by then. If shit is still tanking people won't be buying.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
this next gen is wildly underwhelming though. Xbox has already come out and said every new game will run on older xboxes, there will be no X2 exclusives for a while. Sony hasn't said fuck all about PS5 exclusives and I have to imagine stuff like Spidey 2, HZD2, etc are probably holiday 2021 releases. Cyberpunk 2077 is releasing previous gen. So you'll be able to run PS4 stuff a little faster on a PS5, woopee.
I don't really follow the logic here. Cyberpunk will very likely run on my old PC too, but that doesn't mean the one I just built will be underwhelming. Surely there will be more difference between this gen and last gen consoles than simply doing 4K30 without checkboarding and having a faster drive. Lighting models and shadows should be improved, I'd expect to see a lot more ambient occlusion and better AA, as well as a couple steps up in texture resolution at the very least.

That said, I do agree that unless you have an Amazon alert setup and get the notification within moments of when the product page finally goes up, you're very likely not getting a PS5 this year. And probably not even well into 2021. People who typically do the Gamestop trade in bonus for previous gen to next gen can forget it too. Personally I'm not terribly optimistic about getting ahold of a Series X this year either. Even if MS doesn't have any issues with their hardware like people have claimed about the PS5, there's no way they aren't facing the same supply shortages due to Wu flu and all the faggots who buy a new phone+tablet every 6-9 months. (Edit: And if Sony really is having the overheating problems that have been rumored, I'd rather get a rev. 2 anyway.)

Last edited:

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i have a feeling it'll be almost impossible to actually get a ps5 in 2020.

You reminded me of the PS2 launch. I managed to score a pre-order and ebayed it for twice the selling price and then proceeded to not buy another. Think it's the first and last time I bought a console I never used, I was PC master race around that time though, full on EQ poopsock.

Szlia

Depends a lot on how the economy is doing by then. If shit is still tanking people won't be buying.
Back when David Reeves was one of the key people at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe he did several very interesting presentations at press events about the economic side of things. It was like 15 years ago so I might not remember clearly or things might have changed, but he noted that, just like cigarettes and potatoes, video games actually do pretty well in times of economic crisis. The idea, basically, is that when times get hard, people value escapist entertainment pretty highly.

That being said, you can probably put a number of asterisks : while spending money on video games might continue during harder times, that money is maybe less likely to go to an hardware upgrade (one of the big take-away from Reeve's presentations was how different generations of PlayStation can strive at the same time but in different territories / economic categories). Another asterisk is that the entertainment options changed in the last 15 years and that while video games had a very competitive 'time / $' ratio, streaming services are probably significantly better value nowadays.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Unreal Engine 5 supposedly running live on a PS5.

Hah, yea. Wake me up with a console can run a game in 1080p 60fps and actually play well. Maybe in 50 years that tech demo will mean something.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This'll be the first PS I'll buy with the knowledge there won't be a Wipeout game released for it.

R.I.P. Psygnosis / Studio Liverpool.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm just going to preorder it then forget about it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
If I stuff the "Dual Sense" controller's microphone with boogers right out of the gate, will my muffled voice still be enough for the lizard people to steal my soul?

• 1Worf

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I'm more excited to hear about nvidia 3xxx cards and see what an improvement Cyberpunk would be on them. Also LG OLED's doing VRR, HDR, and gSync on PCs. Cyberpunk on a 3xxx on a 2020 OLED will be glorious.

Heh, Cyberpunk will probably jump start PC / GPU sales all by itself, I know that's what I'm waiting for. Definitely picking up a PS5 too, PS4+PSVR has been good to me, and the exclusives are usually great.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If I stuff the "Dual Sense" controller's microphone with boogers right out of the gate, will my muffled voice still be enough for the lizard people to steal my soul?

Mixing your kids blood with some bondo should do the trick.

• 1Jonesing