Playstation 5

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Read above. Memorializing it illustrates its significant, no? They still maintain the destroyed buildings as a specific example of how terrible it was. The loss of property for most people is a life altering event because their lives in many cases are significantly dependent on that property. Sony didn't place a qualifier on when property destruction is okay, or some limit. So why remember at all?

We remember because its important, because mass destruction and chaos actually means something. Dismissing it is profoundly fucking stupid.
So we should keep all the destorued property in the majority black eighborhoods of cities where these peaceful protests have occurred as a reminder. I like it!

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty interesting that the PS5/XboxSex SSD technology is going to leave the pc master race in the dust

• 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Pretty interesting that the PS5/XboxSex SSD technology is going to leave the pc master race in the dust

This is not the first time consoles have claimed X thing will be better PC...I've yet to see one of those boasts actually pan out.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
This is not the first time consoles have claimed X thing will be better PC...I've yet to see one of those boasts actually pan out.
Seems to me that the only edge consoles ever have on PCs is standardized hardware making optimization much simpler for the dev teams.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

In this case, it is absolutely true. I linked it over in the desktop thread but will add it here as well.

• 2Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Console OS has always been vastly less overhead than a full version of Windows, so I guess it makes sense that when you throw in the ability for devs to take for granted that the game is stored on a high end SSD that the gap gets even larger.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Assuming it is indeed the case, PC will catch up anyway, hell it might catch up before the PS5 even releases. And it's not just all SSD, the new graphic cards coming this year will most likely still bury whatever the PS5 will run and I doubt somewhat faster SSDs are going to make up the difference there.

It is good they're not releasing consoles that are already behind PC again though, means we'll get better games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
the real interesting thing will be multiplat games. Its simple to imagine stuff like Spiderman 2, God of War 2, etc will be optimized just for PS5 and have no loading screens etc which is awesome.

But what about Call of Duty 2020 or Assassins Creed Valhalla? That will run on PS4, Xbox One S, PC, and PS5/XSEX. Will they optimize for the new SSDs or not? I'm gonna imagine a big nope, since once you put in loading screens and stuff its gonna be weird to remove all that and re-jigger your entire engine and game to depend on never having to load new areas/maps.

I remember I thought around the ps4/xb1 times that most games would be developed on PC and then ported down to ps4/xb1, setting new fixed texture, memory, GPU, etc settings like a custom PC setting. But that has turned out to rarely be the case, for most of the AAA games instead there are two teams, the main team works on the ps4/xb1 edition (the big money maker) and a second team ports the code to PC, either doing a great job (Rockstar) or a shitty job (Mortal Kombat 11). Its still weird to me that most games aren't dev'd on PC and then ported around, although nowadays I think that is maybe becoming a bit more true as PC sales have done really well for most games.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Assuming it is indeed the case, PC will catch up anyway, hell it might catch up before the PS5 even releases. And it's not just all SSD, the new graphic cards coming this year will most likely still bury whatever the PS5 will run and I doubt somewhat faster SSDs are going to make up the difference there.

It is good they're not releasing consoles that are already behind PC again though, means we'll get better games.

I mean its not like it wouldn’t be possible for PC now, but they don’t have the luxury of having fixed hardware to develop for. I don’t know enough about SSD controllers so maybe I’m talking out my ass, but someone would have to develop it for PC and then be adopted widespread enough for it to be reasonable for Devs to develop for.

I’m sure eventually it’s going to be the case, but how long until adoption is high enough to justify it? And would they require that you have the SSD/Controller to even play the game, or make accommodations for those that don’t?

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean its not like it wouldn’t be possible for PC now, but they don’t have the luxury of having fixed hardware to develop for. I don’t know enough about SSD controllers so maybe I’m talking out my ass, but someone would have to develop it for PC and then be adopted widespread enough for it to be reasonable for Devs to develop for.

I’m sure eventually it’s going to be the case, but how long until adoption is high enough to justify it? And would they require that you have the SSD/Controller to even play the game, or make accommodations for those that don’t?
The tech is already on the way, it's just not widespread, but the PS5 specs are basically PCIe 5.0 which already exists, and next year they should add PCIe 6.0 which doubles the bandwith and adds a bunch of low latency shit but most people seem to think that shit's basically unnecessary already unless you do some AI stuff or some other super specific activity. The "problem" as you said is unlike PS5, people with PC will still run old shit, there's still people playing games on HDDs nowadays even though SSDs have been affordable for a long time and are a massive quality of life improvement.

But by the time the PS5 releases, there might be PCs which already surpass that by a large margin, although it will only be the stupid top of the line shit that no one will have.

I'm still somewhat skeptic about how useful the whole thing is, other than the whole reducing the size of the games and obviously the faster loadings. We'll have to wait some more to be sure, but with all the games for the first year or whatever requiring to be compatible with the old consoles, I expect it won't be too much of an issue at first anyway.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Better looking games you mean. Joel being golfclubbed in 8k will be pretty sweet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It's not that PC can't do it it's more that the Hardware has been specifically designed for this use case.

PC's can do it, the issue is the 14billion different hardware combinations that can be made from everything, were consoles only get 1 set of specific hardware(With a slight refresh mid-release, it is gonna be interesting seeing the upgrades later in the cycle)...

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, I don't think you will see that level of integration until it is standardized across multiple PC brands. So the products that come out between now and then will be niche at best.

gak

<Gold Donor>

I just started watching "The Cherno" youtube guy reacting to the PS5 briefing, and ya it's interesting how they talk about finally being able to stream SSD assets fast enough to "only" need 16GB ram for the next few years, but my first thought on PC was you could just load the whole/most of the level into 32/64/128/GB ram without worrying about SSD HaXX0rs.

d.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
But the riots won't be done by then, guess that's enough PR for now then? Fucking companies.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like black controllers better than white ones. It makes me hate the Dual Sense a little less

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's not like you can broadcast in 4k on Twitch anyway. On YouTube, I think you can though for both live, and of course for pre-recorded.