Playstation 5

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So what sold you on the launch PS4? Was it Knack or Killzone?

I was excited for the Madden upgrade that turned out to be terrible admittedly, but Battlefield 4 was , and still is incredible and probably the best Battlefield in the whole series.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Hey everybody!! We updated Peter's face, give us some more money!!!!!!!!!

• 1Worf

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
FB_IMG_1601496902376.jpg
Looks like some gay amalgamation of Tom Holland and Andrew Garfield.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So what's the best way to still get a retail pre order?
I've helped 3 other people get these by just telling them to sign up for in stock alerts on Walmarts website. They send out an email a minute or two before the website updates to show stock. Have an account with all your info (including payment info) already stored and just wait for that email and move fast.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Samsung’s 980 Pro is looking to be fast enough that it should be ps5 compatible for the internal slot. At $230 for 1tb that's not all that bad considering you only get 660 GB to actually use on the stock drive

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Need way more than 1TB... Hell I've had 2 TB for 3 or 4 years on the PS4. I can't imagine cutting that in half. I have to keep a bunch of games that my kids like on it while also keeping my games on it.

spronk

FPS noob
ps4 games can run off USB drives on ps5 (and X), only "next gen" games will require you to run them off the internal SSD. It's pretty easy and super fast to move games from SSD to USB and vica versa

Vorph

But then you lose a lot of the benefit of playing the games on the new hardware. I'm definitely not buying an 'official' storage upgrade until Seagate and Samsung have competition and the prices drop under $150 per TB, but I don't think I'll be installing BC games onto the SSD I currently use for my X1X unless it's something that already has little to no loading time. A huge mechanical drive is right out, those things aren't good for anything besides NAS.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I got a 970 EVO on sale for my PS4 way back, put it in an external NVMe enclosure via USB and it runs roughly equivalent to a standard SSD because of the hardware bottlenecking.

Amazon has some of the older 1TB models in the $130-170 range already.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not going to be buying a PS5 anytime soon so $230 now, provided it will be compatible, means better down the line. The Samsung 980 pro is just the only drive I've read about with people thinking it should meet the requirements.

Vorph

I got a 970 EVO on sale for my PS4 way back, put it in an external NVMe enclosure via USB and it runs roughly equivalent to a standard SSD because of the hardware bottlenecking.

Amazon has some of the older 1TB models in the $130-170 range already.
Finding a SSD for current gen is easy. I paid $100 for one when I bought my X1X, and it already exceeded the USB spec that either console could use.

The issue is that if you plug any current external SSD into either next gen console they will only allow you to install BC games onto them. PS5 requires an internal m.2 NVMe that is Gen 4x4 and can do at least 5.5GB/s sequential reads. Xbox has much lower speed reqs but it doesn't matter because they make you buy their stupid proprietary drive 'cartridge' made by Seagate, which is still $220 even though the drive in it is average at best by today's PC standards and less than half the speed (on paper) of the PS5 SSD. Only way to get a PS5 expansion that can actually install next gen games is to buy the Samsung 980 Pro due out this month. IIRC it peaks at about 7GB/s reads, and the next fastest drive currently for sale right now is like 4GB/s.