Playstation 5

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Preemptive Disclaimer: I don't know shit, but I'm hoping you do.

I've been listening to Colin Moriarty's "Sidequest" lately, and he sidestepped a question on a show recently. It was subtle, but I got the impression that some details about the PS5 are starting to leak out? Spill it here if you got it. If not, answer me this one question-

Will you buy Skyrim: ReRemastered on PS5?

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
No one knows anything. Anyone who says they know anything at this point is lying. Someone will say they know something in the next 6 months, and they will look like a fool.

You are welcome.

• 1Salty
  • 1SJW
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 4 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Magic 8-ball say's all bullshit right now ..... they "might" be lookin at next gen hardware already for it, but any actual console info a long ways out.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Unless it comes out with some wicked exclusives, I'll probably do what I did with the PS4 and buy one 1.5years later when the price drops(or well try to, last time I bought one 3months before the price drops because I wanted to play Bloodborne, which in retrospect wasn't worth not waiting).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

The question is: will it be the last gen console? The thing will most probably deliver 60fps on 4k screens (two values that have no actual reason to ever need to go up) with all the bells and whistles and only super AAA games can afford to use all the bells and whistles anyway. I guess what would require more raw power would be higher resolution VR goggles, but the same 10 guys care about those every 10 years. Another way it can be the last gen console is if the gen after that they go with stream boxes, leaving the heavy lifting to server farms (I must say though that I don't believe in this tech because I don't believe in magic (or magical infrastructures if you will).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
I doubt it will be the last real console. Many people still don't have reliable/fast internet and having to depend on the internet not crapping out on you just to play a game on your TV would be terrible.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

The only thing that will kill the consoles is a paradigm shift to certain types of games where the traditional console cannot support said games, isn't the ideal platform for those games anymore, or the market for traditional console games shrinks to the point of no longer being popular. I don't see that happening any time soon. People were saying 'lol PC gaming is ded" for the past 20 years and PC gaming is still doing just fine.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
The question is: will it be the last gen console? The thing will most probably deliver 60fps on 4k screens (two values that have no actual reason to ever need to go up) with all the bells and whistles and only super AAA games can afford to use all the bells and whistles anyway. I guess what would require more raw power would be higher resolution VR goggles, but the same 10 guys care about those every 10 years. Another way it can be the last gen console is if the gen after that they go with stream boxes, leaving the heavy lifting to server farms (I must say though that I don't believe in this tech because I don't believe in magic (or magical infrastructures if you will).

It's not gonna run 60fps. It'll be powerful enough but they're gonna do the console thing and maximize visual fidelity at grave costs to performance. It's easy to see why, too - a lot of console guys never play PC and honesy think 30fps is fine. Compound that with the fact that prettier graphics makes for better trailers and you've got a recipe for most console games being locked at 30fps forever. Hell, most games on the Pro and X still run at 30, just at immensely higher settings.

Still love my PS4 to death though. Those games....

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
With pro versions of the consoles being a thing now, we might very well see the base versions being 30 fps across the board with the pro versions being 60fps, or at least with options that include a 60fps mode. An entire generation based around that potential opens things up quite a bit, especially if they include HDMI 2.1 and thus have access to VRR

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
With pro versions of the consoles being a thing now, we might very well see the base versions being 30 fps across the board with the pro versions being 60fps, or at least with options that include a 60fps mode. An entire generation based around that potential opens things up quite a bit, especially if they include HDMI 2.1 and thus have access to VRR

That'd be great, but what I'm really getting tired of is enhanced versions that basically just break the 30fps cap and deliver variable performance that I find a lot more jarring than locked 30. MHW is main offender for me; I hear God of War was the same, so I just used the locked 1800p (or whatever it was) 30fps mode.

Nioh was one of the first Pro games, and it's still the best as far as the performance options it provides: a locked 30 uhd option for dumb people, a variable, lower-res option for dumb people, and a locked 60fps 1080p+ mode which is basically required for a game like that.

• 1Solidarity

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Wait you don't think the next gen will try to go beyond 60 fps? I mean you could be right in what you've said here but it seems like it's the next logical step to try and push for those 144. Maybe the technology isn't there yet at the price point. But I feel like it would be an insult to cap base systems at 30 fps with the progress consoles have made. Then again we took a step back with backwards compatibility after PS2 early PS3 and now we're fucking praising them (rightfully so) for putting it back into the PS5 (rumored?).

EDIT: Also I'm a little out of the loop with current TV refresh rates and how that impacts FPS on consoles so maybe I'm drawing too many parallels to the PC market where its more complex then that.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
What the hell. It feels like the PS4 was released not too long ago. Is a PS5 really necessary this soon?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What the hell. It feels like the PS4 was released not too long ago. Is a PS5 really necessary this soon?

It’s been five years. I think most console lives are around seven years so it’s about time for them to start developing the hardware and games.

I’m holding out for the 5 and will probably get one at release date. I generally wait a year or two for new consoles but if it’s fully backwards compatible I don’t see a reason to wait this time. The library of games I own for ps4 is good enough I’d love to have 4K versions, but don’t want to get the pro as it doesn’t seem like a big enough payoff for the money.

• 1Solidarity