PlayStation Classic: Sony does what Nintend-also-does

Szlia

December 3 (US, Canada, Europe, Japan and Australia), $100, 2 controllers (standard, not DualShock 1), USB powered (no AC adaptor).

The game list is currently incomplete. The total number of games will be 20 (ish?) and we know of 5 for now:

- Final Fantasy VII
- Jumping Flash
- Ridge Racer Type 4
- Tekken 3
- Wild Arms

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

I have two concerns: the first is that most PS1 games aged very poorly. I mean, good luck enjoying Jumping Flash as anything other than a piece of video game history. It’s not really a surprise too, since most are using a technology, polygonal 3D, that was in its teens back then and is all grown up now. While there is a nostalgia for 16-bit or even 8-bit era 2D graphics, there is just about none of that for Playstation era 3D graphics (I mean, just look at indie games and which retro aesthetics they go for).

The second concern is the filtering. If you ever tried to play a PS1 game on a HDMI connected PS3, you would know that for some reason the 3D looks like absolute garbage. I mean we are talking major aliasing and things that just didn’t seem to connect right. I was so shocked at the time that I dusted off a PS2 and plugged it in RGB to a CRT to check the difference and it was night and day. I have not tried the NES classic, but the CRT filter of the SNES classic did the job pretty well. If the PS1 classic does not offer the same type of quality in its filtering, it will be a miserable experience.

• 3Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
20 titles is so so weak, Lordy. The PS1 literally had dozens and dozens of truly great top-tier games and hundreds of games in total. It was the 4th best selling console of all time and was the foundation of many franchises that still run strong today. Fucking 20 games in total is a disgrace.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Szlia

Well... if they also went the Raspberry Pi route, by December 5 you'll be able to upload all the games you want in it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Not holding my breath, but I'll wait and see what else Sony has in mind. Right now it's basically "Hey Look! FFVII!"

Also, the fact that the controller isn't DualShock is a red flag for me. I get that there aren't a ton of PS titles that had DualShock compatibility, but I'd have liked to see Sony integrate the DualShock into some of the older titles (kinda like what Resident Evil did back in the day).

Highly polygonal PS games have not aged well, but there's still plenty of titles that have held up graphically.
A few I'd like to see:

1) Symphony of the Night
2) Einhander
3) PaRappa tha Rapper
4) Tomba!
5) Oddworld
6) Valkyrie Profile
7) Intelligent Cube
8) Suikoden II
9) Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
10) Street Fighter Alpha 3

• 2Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Agree that 100 is too much. I have so many new games in my backlog, that I have no interest in playing old shit. Every few years, I go crazy and download tons of ROMS/emulators and play them for like 2 minutes each, then go back to trying to finish the 12 billion Steam games I haven't played yet.

• 4Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Classic N64 please

Or has this been done already?

FUCK IT why haven't I just built a retro system myself?

• 3Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Classic N64 please

Or has this been done already?

FUCK IT why haven't I just built a retro system myself?

This is what I did. Works like a champ - and like Soygen Soygen , turn it on for about 10 minutes and play some things and go back to trying to finish my backlog.

I had a lot of fun setting this up though :) That may have been more fun for me than playing any of the games.

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Stop gives your money for scam like that please. Maybe pro versus fighting players will find a use of the ps1 gamepad replica, but i doubt it's the same quality as the original.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
FF7 was a good business decision on their part, tho. Probably sells 5x-10x as many units with FF7 than it would have without.

• 2Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm surprised they used the PSX controllers without the analog sticks.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
All you're paying for with these systems is a "raspberry pi running emulators"

I put it in quotes because it's not an RPi, but it's the same thing. Just a small computer running emulation. You aren't really paying for any proprietary hardware or code at this point.

• 4Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I have two concerns: the first is that most PS1 games aged very poorly.

Mostly this.

FF7 is not a good game to look at.

$100 is pricer than it should be, but given SNES is $80 it's not wildly off. If it's ROM-capable for true nostalgia feels (fuck whatever 20 games they ship with), it'd be fun though no Dual Shock means no PS2 games right? Playstation 1+2 emulator for $100 might be worth it, but I don't know if I could properly play/enjoy games with graphics that aged so poorly.

spronk

FPS noob
to quote a wise midichlorian boi, let the past die

Sw8VVS9.gif

i never understood the craze over retro games, but then again I grew up on ultima 2, wizardry, and bard's tale so its always been available from a single box

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
People buying this overpriced garbage (and all the Nintendo ones) for the 4 minutes of nostalgia they get upon pressing the power button are terrible consumers.

For a $5 and 30 minutes (assuming you can read) you can setup an emulator on your PC with pretty much every system, link games to steam via ICE, use the $5 steamlink with your entertainment system and enjoy. Then promptly uninstall because the games back then were only good/tolerated due to having nothing better to play barring a handful of exceptions.

• 1Salty

Szlia

I guess there is room for debate with the NES Classic and the PlayStation Classic (since even their original controllers were kinda meh), but for the SNES Classic, the thing was barely above the price of two good controllers, hardly making it overpriced. Also, mileage may vary, but I played through the whole of Earthbound and Super Mario RPG on it, plus whole playthroughs of Contra, Castlevania, Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, F-Zero and a good chunk of Super Metroid (most of those with a friend who grew up on computer games). Depending on the game list and the quality of the emulation, I'll certainly buy this thing to play with him some of the titles or catch up on classics I missed.

The notion that "games back then were only good/tolerated due to having nothing better to play barring a handful of exceptions" is also pretty absurd. There are hundreds of games that aged perfectly well. As I mentioned, as far as visuals go, many polygonal PS1 games will look a bit gaudy or shoddy today (I can't think Tekken aged very well), but I am pretty sure those that had strong aesthetic choices will still work reasonably well (Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Vagrant Story or, in a totally different style, Tobal N°1, come to mind). Obviously, visuals are just one part of the equation and, on top of that, many classic games on PS1 are mostly sprite based (Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy Tactics are the obvious examples).

On a side note, something that will have aged super poorly for sure will be most CGI intro movies! It's pretty crazy to consider what is being done in real time these days compared to what used render farms back then!

• 1Like

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have already bought a lot of the classics on my ps3 fat. I already have ff7 on multiple platforms. It will need to be a oddball list of games or hard to find jrpgs for me to be interested but I dont think I am the type of person they are going to be marketing this to.