Playstation TV - Launching Octover 14th 2014 - Details / Information / Reviews thread

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I looked around and I know it is probably being discussed in various threads, but this is a pretty nice feature for those of us with a Sony infrastructure. Especially if you have a Vita combined with a PS4/PS3.

PlayStation TV is a small device that will literally rest in the palm of your hand. Once installed and configured, you will be able to do a large amount of cool things.

* If you own a PS4 you will be able to place this device elsewhere in the house and on your network be able to remote play compatible PS4 games with a DS4 controller without purchasing another console to do so.
* If you own a PS Vita, you will now be able to play games that are compatible with the device on a big screen TV, and also with a DS3 controller if desired.
* It will have all the media applications that are existing today on the PS4/3. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and rental/purchasable movies.
* Download games to a (Yes, the same proprietary memory card the Vita uses) card to play. Including access to PlayStation NOW for all game streaming (Have not checked prices on this lately but last I checked you would be better off buying the game)

This is the bundle on Amazon.

Amazon.com: PlayStation TV: playstation vita: Video Games

This bundle comes with a Dual Shock 3 controller, Lego Movie video game, and an 8 Gb Memory card. For an extra $40. So it is a decent bundle value pack.

Basically for me, I want to be able to play some of my Vita games on the big screen. Like Persona 4, or Child of Light (which didn't have a cross play function) along with basically having access to games in case my home theater is in use by another family member.

Games that are supported with use of the PS TV:

Games Compatible with PlayStation TV

Quite a few games listed. Mine comes tomorrow from Amazon. I think I am more looking forward playing my Vita games on a big screen. But some of the other features will be nice to have as well. For those without a PS3 that want to play some games on the NOW network, this is a good alternative from having to purchase a used PS3 and has some added functionality.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yep, seems nice - on my "to buy" list once we've got the house more set up - mostly as a PS4 "extender" than the other functions in our case though - once we've got this place finished being set up we'll have 4 TV's and two PS4's that might want to be used on a secondary TV at various times (guest bedroom/living room - both are in the same gaming den currently - possibly two Vita TV's if the demand is high from the first)

Vorph

Was all set to buy one until I saw that its only audio output is over HDMI. I would be hooking it up to a monitor and using speakers that only have optical or coaxial digital as their inputs. The other deal-breaker was that despite having the DLNA client that some retard thought was ok to omit from the PS4, the max output resolution from the PS TV is only 720p (or 1080i, but that shit is even worse). Also, does it even support Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. yet? Last I heard it only played stuff you bought from Sony's PS Store and didn't have clients for any of the streaming services. I can't find any info on whether or not that is still true on release day.

Those things, combined with the fact that Sony still insists on using ridiculously overpriced proprietary memory cards, and the one Vita game I have from Plus that I really want to play (Soul Sacrifice) has since been updated with a new SKU that makes the Plus version obsolete... NOPE.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Was all set to buy one until I saw that its only audio output is over HDMI. I would be hooking it up to a monitor and using speakers that only have optical or coaxial digital as their inputs. The other deal-breaker was that despite having the DLNA client that some retard thought was ok to omit from the PS4, the max output resolution from the PS TV is only 720p (or 1080i, but that shit is even worse). Also, does it even support Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. yet? Last I heard it only played stuff you bought from Sony's PS Store and didn't have clients for any of the streaming services. I can't find any info on whether or not that is still true on release day.

Those things, combined with the fact that Sony still insists on using ridiculously overpriced proprietary memory cards, and the one Vita game I have from Plus that I really want to play (Soul Sacrifice) has since been updated with a new SKU that makes the Plus version obsolete... NOPE.
So, all the video applications like Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon, etc - are supported so basically anything on the PS4 is on the PS Plus. I agree the memory card is still ridiculous. For me, the main draw is playing PS Vita games on my TV with a controller. So 720p is fine given the device stream transfer. I can see how that is a no no for using it as a streaming box though for the applications but I have a 720p Apple TV now so that works for me as it's replacement. HDMI audio doesn't effect me as it would go to a receiver switch. For you though yeah I can see that being an issue. What I would like to know is if I will be able to plug in my Sony Wireless headset. It should technically work since it has a USB port, but I am not sure if it requires the application. One would think native 1080p would be a must considering it can take over for streaming devices. That was a poor move on their part. One thing I would want to see is more PS2 game support. I was never able to play Champions of Norrath and always wanted to play it. Hopefully it will be made available as I do not have a PS2, don't feel like buying one for one game, and it would work fairly well on the PS TV.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok so I bit the bullet on this. Stay away. At least for now.

1) I knew this going in, but only 720p and 1080i support for video display. Which wouldn't be a big deal if...

2) All the movies available for rent/purchase through the Sony Store are ALL STANDARD DEFINITION. This will not replace a Roku or Apple TV if you wish to use it as a streaming box with the perks of being able to stream your PS4 from another room to another set.

3) Although it may be coming, there is zero support for apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, or even Youtube. (Based on my post above, they stated this would be in at launch, it isn't.)

4) About the only thing this is good for is playing your PS Vita games on your set. But this is cumbersome and here are my reasons.

4A) I have a Nyko Controller grip for my PS Vita. When I want to play games on my TV, I have to detach the Nyko grip entirely from my Vita, take out the memory card, insert it into the PS TV, activate the games, and play. Obviously to get it back to the way it was before and play these games on my Vita, I have to go through that process again.

4B) The graphics are not even close to what the games look like on a Vita. It doesn't scale well and there is a lot more pixilation than I am used too.

4C) I am not sure why I cannot stream from my PS Vita to my PS TV similar to how I can do that with my PS4 to my Vita with remote play and use my DS3 Controller connected wirelessly to my PS TV. This reeks of poor design.

Some of the good things:

1) The interface is the same as your PS Vita and is very quick and responsive.
2) It was easy to set up and get going out of the box.
3) Sony Gold Headset works.

The reason I purchased this was to use it as a set top streaming device in my upstairs bedroom with an ability to play my Vita games on the big screen. I can do this, but the result is far lacking. With horrible scaling, no applications released for Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime, and movies I may want to rent/purchase only available in Standard Definition, this is a worthless device as it stands. These are the changes they need to make.

1) 1080p Native. How this isn't standard is almost appalling.
2) Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, and Hulu Plus apps should have been on here to begin with.
3) Remote play from the PS Vita to the PS TV and the ability to select the DS3 wireless controller configured to work with the PS TV for game control.
4) High Definition streaming of content services from Sony if they want ANY Chance to actually market any of their services.

This product as it stands would have been fantastic. Had it been released in 2005 along side the PS3.

As of now I am considering returning and waiting until they fix all this.

I do not recommend a purchase. Even if you are looking to play Vita games on your TV as the scaling is awful and you will not be impressed with the graphical changes.

Vaclav

Ut: The PS Store has HD versions of things normally, it's just stunting the offerings for VitaTV?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ut: The PS Store has HD versions of things normally, it's just stunting the offerings for VitaTV?
Correct. On my PS3 and PS4 I can rent or buy movies in HD. In the store via my PS TV, only SD versions are available.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Anyone tried out the ps4 streaming? I realize it will be 720p which kinda sucks, but if it works well then it should be worth it. Does it have AC wifi? Dual band?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Anyone tried out the ps4 streaming? I realize it will be 720p which kinda sucks, but if it works well then it should be worth it. Does it have AC wifi? Dual band?
I'll check the speed of the wireless. I have not done that yet. The wireless PS4 remote play blows. It does have a wired connection method, but with my bedroom 2 levels above where my router is, I would never be able to wire it.

It baffles me that you cannot order HD movies from the store, even on a 720p/1080i device. For the record, in the menu system, I cannot tell the difference between 480p and 720p which is weird as well.

Edit: 802.11n is the highest.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I got one, like it so far. I mean, really all I wanted to do was play Vita games on a TV without having to spend 30 hours soldering tiny fucking 32 gauge wires. For that it's great!

I really just hate playing on handhelds for some reason, but I want to play a lot of handheld exclusive games.
Yeah. If you are fine with the graphical degradation and poor scaling (Jaggies) it's fine for that. But this could have been a million times better and replaced set-top streaming. They should have aimed for an all in one box. And they severely missed the mark. It should be 1080p native, support HD TV/Movie streaming, and have all the apps we already have access to on PS4. Not to mention you will want to buy the bundle. At $139, just to play Vita games in a poorly scaled environment, well, to each their own. I don't see the value unless it could scale it to 1080p and look as good as on a Vita.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
As a quick aside, Amazon shipped me two PS TV's and only charged me for one. They only have a record of one invoice and there wasn't an invoice in the second box. My honest bone which I have had since birth says I should contact amazon and send it back to them. The other part of me is disgusted with the lack of features to the point where I could stick it to Sony and return the unboxed 2nd unit for a refund and just keep the other one for free. Help me rerolled, should I follow my honesty track record?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It'd probably cost them more to receive and restock and they would tell you just to keep it. Therefore you should send it to me.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It'd probably cost them more to receive and restock and they would tell you just to keep it. Therefore you should send it to me.
Ha! I'll let them know about it. I am too honest I guess. Maybe they will let me keep it. If so, I'll sell it and basically get a free PS TV. If not, I guess I can sleep at night knowing I did the right thing.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Thanks for the review. You definitely saved me some time/money. Hopefully in a year this will be worth the purchase or there will be an updated version.

Amazon Fire TV pulled the same crap. Advertised HBO on the box but there was no access to anything HBO .

Szlia

About the Vita games on TV: are there different scaling options? Like playing with no scaling even if not in full screen?

Vaclav

Good question Sz. PS3 had that for classics, would be an odd omission.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was intrigued by this, if only for the desire to play PS Vita games (hate handhelds).

Guess this is a pass.

I'm honestly surprised Ut bought one without first bashing everything about it up until the moment of release and then buying it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
About the Vita games on TV: are there different scaling options? Like playing with no scaling even if not in full screen?
Nope. The entire operating system is the PS Vita operating system. The only options in video is to chose 480p, 720p, and 1080i - adjust the screen size which doesn't have any effect on the graphics of the Vita games, and RGB.

It isn't horrible mind you. But when playing Child of Light, the transition from PS3/PS4 and PS Vita to Ps Vita on the TV is very jarring and lots of jaggies.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'm honestly surprised Ut bought one without first bashing everything about it up until the moment of release and then buying it.
Ha! The good thing is, I called Amazon, and they told me to send back the second one and it will be processed as an RMA and credited to my Amazon card. Even after I explained to them I was sent two and invoiced for one. So... Free PS TV. I need to buy a 70" LED from them soon I think.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So do Vita games look worse when you play them on this thing?