Playstation TV - Launching Octover 14th 2014 - Details / Information / Reviews thread

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So do Vita games look worse when you play them on this thing?
Oh definitely. On the Vita Child of Light looks awesome on the Vita in 960 ? 544 - which is an off resolution. Now imagine throwing a 544p game horribly upscaled to 720p/1080i format on a 50-60" LED. The differences are night and day. And look awful. Obviously smaller screen on the Vita, but I tested Child of Light on the PS3, forced 720p, and threw it up at the same 50" in 720p, and it was infinitely better.

The scaling is just atrocious.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Thanks for the review, was going to pick this up but will hold off till it gets some updates.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh definitely. On the Vita Child of Light looks awesome on the Vita in 960 ? 544 - which is an off resolution. Now imagine throwing a 544p game horribly upscaled to 720p/1080i format on a 50-60" LED. The differences are night and day. And look awful. Obviously smaller screen on the Vita, but I tested Child of Light on the PS3, forced 720p, and threw it up at the same 50" in 720p, and it was infinitely better.

The scaling is just atrocious.
I think the TV size is likely part of the scaling feeling so horrendous to you - I'll be curious to hear some 30-40" reviews of how the scaling is. I can't imagine too many people were thinking of using it to extend their systems onto a huge TV while having their primary systems on small TVs... seems backwards to most people.

Most people have a household with a few 50+" TVs that would primary their systems, and use these with small 25-37" TVs that would extend their systems into additional rooms I'd imagine. So if the scaling is awful on big TV's it's not really that big of a deal if the demographics work out like I'd imagine.

But then again, since that's my plan I could just be assuming my situation is normal and it's not. (50" in bedroom with PS4&3, 50" in Living Room with PS4&3 and will in the future extend the PS4s into the guest bedroom and second TV in the Living Room (both 37") with Vita TVs)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The size of the screen shouldn't matter if you're at the proper viewing distance (assuming equal resolution of the televisions).

Vaclav

The size of the screen shouldn't matter if you're at the proper viewing distance (assuming equal resolution of the televisions).
True - quick and dirty to assume that you might be pushing it with a 50" though, since the proper viewing distance is further. Especially since lower resolution pushes proper viewing distance even higher, no?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Lets assume someone doesn't own or give a fuck about the Vita, Netflix or anything like that.

Is this thing worth buying just for the PS4 remote play? I just want to be able to leave my PS4 in the living room and play in the office when my wife wants to watch stupid shit.

Most reviews are glossing over it but that's been the main selling point to me since this thing was announced.

Vaclav

From the bit I've seen, supposed to do it very well (not seen any mention of measurable lag) but at 720p. So as long as the resolution hit is fine by you it should do that well from what I've seen. (see my mentions of smaller TVs above - part of my reasoning)

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
So if vita games look like shit. I am guessing psp games look double shit? Was curious if stuff like ff4 complete and fft would look nice enough to play again.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Lets assume someone doesn't own or give a fuck about the Vita, Netflix or anything like that.

Is this thing worth buying just for the PS4 remote play? I just want to be able to leave my PS4 in the living room and play in the office when my wife wants to watch stupid shit.

Most reviews are glossing over it but that's been the main selling point to me since this thing was announced.
If you are wired into both connections from your router (Wired Connection to your PS4, and Wired connection to your PS TV) it will be most definitely playable. If you areon Wireless, forget about it. Pixelated and awful experience and disconnects.

Vaclav it's definitely the scaling within the PS TV. As noted, forced 720p from my PS3 to the same screen looks absolutely fantastic. Upscaled to 720p from 544p from the PS TV is fucking horrendous. Has nothing to do with the size of the TV in my case, which is appropriate viewing distance in my Bedroom (With a 50"). One does it well. The other does not, and it is definitely the scaling.

Vaclav

Have you tried doing the "Child of Light" test running the PS4 version streaming to it though? (or PS3, but I don't think you can stream from PS3, right? Obviously can use something else to test fidelity if you don't have CoL on PS4, just using that term since you used it for the two previous) I know CoL looks great on PS3's 720p on a 50" (In fact it's how I played it first before double buying for PS4 as well) - but does the Vita TV scaling screw up the scaling when it's NOT A VITA game is what I'm wondering.

I realize for you, most of what you wanted to do with it was to have a "Big Vita" which quite clearly going from the bizarre resolution to 720 is going to be wonky (frankly I hope if/when I get around to playing Vita titles on one it would get a "letterbox" option rather than stretching it to hell) but if it scales stuff that's pushed via PSNow and PS4 Remote Play just fine that's a different ball of wax for many users.

Yes, for people in your boat it sucks - but trying to find out how our desire to eventually use it would work out. (I'm imagining it'll work out well at 37"ish though, since I was doing PS4 Remote Play over the internet via Vita [portable] when I was hotelling to find our new place with the TV adapter and it looked fine for D3:UEE barring the occasional artifacting from doing it over the internet)

Szlia

The home console versions of Child of Light probably have their assets stored at an optimal resolution for 720p while the Vita version have them for 544p. Upscaling 544p to 720p means it will have jaggies or be blurry (or both!). They should upscale to 1088p and crop 8 lines or cheat with the top and bottom 4 lines. At least it would look crisp.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Have you tried doing the "Child of Light" test running the PS4 version streaming to it though?
I have not tried that. I can give it a shot. I have the demo version of Child of Light for the PS4.

but does the Vita TV scaling screw up the scaling when it's NOT A VITA game is what I'm wondering.
I'll test this for you tonight. It will be going from 1080p and downscaling to 720p.

but if it scales stuff that's pushed via PSNow and PS4 Remote Play just fine that's a different ball of wax for many users.
This seems to be hit or miss right now for a lot of folks, and more often than not, miss. A lot of user reviews are having a lot of issues with remote play over PS4. Most are probably due to the wireless network, others are wired and still experiencing delay in control responsiveness and artifacts/disconnects. For the record, when I am within direct connection range, the Vita remote plays PS4 very well. When I hit any sort of network, it doesn't.

Yes, for people in your boat it sucks - but trying to find out how our desire to eventually use it would work out
I think a lot the problems can come from Wireless connections within a house, but also the type of hardware Sony must use as network adapters for their devices. Single band 802.11n on the PS TV hardware for remote streaming a PS4 game over a network is one of the main reasons people are having problems with it (In addition to wireless/network issues)

I wish I could have the Vita direct Connect remote experience be as good as over the network. I would have no qualms then about the lack of settop box features and hardware limitations/Sony store limited to SD movies only.

Vaclav

Seems odd if it's having problems without the direct connect Ut vs. Vita Portable Remote Play - the wireless/over the internet versions seemed as close to flawless as you can expect in each case for the Vita Portable.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Seems odd if it's having problems without the direct connect Ut vs. Vita Portable Remote Play - the wireless/over the internet versions seemed as close to flawless as you can expect in each case for the Vita Portable.
It could be software issues/network issues/network hardware issues, or a combination of all. I'll be the go to tester for you.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok so testing the remote play on PS4 to the PS TV. Scaling was a lot better from 1080p to 720p. On a few games I tested. Input lag was bad but I'm on wireless with no way to try a direct connection via wired. Not sure if that would help. My wireless router is two levels down but I get a full three bars.

If you have your ps4 and psTv wired it may work better. Untested yet. The scaling however is a lot better than 544p up scaled to 720p which is still a disappointment.

Tol_sl

shitlord
How do vita games that require touch input work when using a ds3? I'd love to have my vita library on bigscreen

Vaclav

There's a compatibility list, Tol. None of the touchscreen games I know of are on it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Persona 4 has some touchscreen stuff for the online component, but it's on the compatibility list. Do you just lose that feature or something?

Szlia

There is a a soft emulation of sorts with a pointer you can move on screen with the analog stick I believe? I remember seeing something like that when they first revealed the gizmo several months back, so it might not be in the final product.