Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Stardust isn't as hard to farm to as you think it is. I've spent a bit north of 200k already and have something like 70k in the bank still, and the game is what, less than 2 weeks old?

I agree though, blowing 50k+ on a single pokemon is madness.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I sure hope so, my first 10k egg popped a 90% Scyther with what looks like the worst possible moveset a Scyther can have. Although it looks like Scyther is pretty much just a shit pokemon regardless.
I'm at level 22 and only seen one 10k egg. Got a 200 something Electabuzz. I'm not happy about it.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Rather than carrying a single level 21 Charizard to level 31.5, which would take 89k Stardust, I would rather use that Stardust to power up a variety higher CP Pokemon I found while climbing to trainer level 30.

Also, what happens if you find a slightly higher IV Charizard while climbing to trainer level 30? Your Stardust will have gone to waste on your old one, assuming you've been powering it up as your trainer level increases.

To me, all it comes down to is do you see IVs as a min/max function, or is it a bonus? I tend to see it as a bonus.
Yeah, I agree. Trying to power up that "perfect" Evee you found at level 4 is a gigantic pain in the ass, versus just leveling up that 70%er you found at trainer level 27. I'm all for min/max, but at a certain point it just isn't pragmatic.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'm at level 22 and only seen one 10k egg. Got a 200 something Electabuzz. I'm not happy about it.
Yeah but what are its IV's? Pokemon from eggs have higher IV than caught.

I'm all for min/max, but at a certain point it just isn't pragmatic.
Min/max is almost never worth the effort. I could beat FF7 at level 30, does that mean I'm not gonna get to 99/9999 on every character? No it does not.

Holy shit, Pokevision finally clicked for me. It's way better than I thought it was.
Yep, tried it today. Works flawlessly, although it was down for maintenance for a bit. Saw an Eevee right near my house, walked 100 feet, grabbed it, and evolved my first Vaporeon.
tongue.png

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just mean it clicked that I need to scan all over the place, every 30 seconds. Didn't realize that was how you fill in the map.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure I just linked some data showing that a Snorlax with zen headbutt and earthquake is better than 93% of the other move sets. Is that amazing? Is it accurate?

I completely agree with you that it's too early to consider any of these numbers to be set in stone. On that same note, It's also too early to think that the "best move is only worthy move" rule of thumb is set in stone.
Snorlax is competing with other snorlax for snorlax candies. If you have a surplus of them and have to decide between boosting a zen snorlax and an optimal staryu, then yeah, the snorlax is better.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I agree. Trying to power up that "perfect" Evee you found at level 4 is a gigantic pain in the ass, versus just leveling up that 70%er you found at trainer level 27. I'm all for min/max, but at a certain point it just isn't pragmatic.
From what I've read, (here's the first source google found just now) hatched pokemon stop getting better when you hit lvl 20 and caught pokemon stop getting better if you hit lvl 30. So at a certain point it just isn't pragmatic to keepanyof your pokemon powered up to max lvl.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Rather than carrying a single level 21 Charizard to level 31.5, which would take 89k Stardust, I would rather use that Stardust to power up a variety higher CP Pokemon I found while climbing to trainer level 30.

Also, what happens if you find a slightly higher IV Charizard while climbing to trainer level 30? Your Stardust will have gone to waste on your old one, assuming you've been powering it up as your trainer level increases.

To me, all it comes down to is do you see IVs as a min/max function, or is it a bonus? I tend to see it as a bonus.
For me it is about not wanting to invest candy and dust into a gimped pokemon.

The debate is largely academic though. Most top iv pokemon come from eggs, and most eggmons have a high level. I do t evem bother checking random low cp mons i find.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I also think the short term optimization is a little overdoing it. Once you have a few strong pokemon you have your level 10 gym wrecking crew anyway. We could pretend thwt we are preparing for a future pvp patch but that is silly.

Im just out running with my kid and spending resources in a way that makes sense long term.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
My first 10km egg was a bit disappointing too. The good news is that getting 29 candy from hatching that one egg is better than a kick in the balls. Or at least it will be sooner or later when I actually start caring about battling.
smile.png

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That Snorlax was 73-84%

At WORST it would max out at 3072 CP.

Good job getting rid of it for that 1k buzz. Best possible Electabuzz is 2134 cp.
Eh? The Electabuzz doesn't have anything to do with the Snorlax.

Still have the Snorlax, but I'll never have the candy to max it out. Which is why IV isn't everything. It'll go in the trash as soon as I get a decent one. Keeping it now just to have it though.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've gotten exactly one Snorlax and it was from a 10km egg and I haven't seen anymore so I just leveled him up. He's sitting at 1100ish with plenty of room to power him up more but no candies to do it with. I love the guy so much. =(

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I wonder if/when we'll see a balance sweep on mons? The entire gym and "battle" system right now is basically a joke, did they say anything at comicon or whatever about making it less of one?

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I wonder if/when we'll see a balance sweep on mons? The entire gym and "battle" system right now is basically a joke, did they say anything at comicon or whatever about making it less of one?
They really didn't say much at all as far as I know. I hope they add a bit of depth to battling, as right now it's kind of bare bones. It'd be cool if I could summon a Pokemon to weaken a high CP one to make it easier to catch, too.

One thing I've been thinking about over the last few days is the potential of what Niantic has. I'm not talking about Pokemon, but the MMO aspect. Niantic could literally make an INSANELY cool fantasy MMO with this. Imagine walking around in real life, fighting mobs for XP and loot? Imagine coming together with friends to take on a raid monster, doing quests, etc. Running around the world grinding IRL, getting gear, making friends. How they haven't done this is beyond me. Sadly, I doubt they ever will if they think it will compete with Pokemon Go.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
They don't have that kind of ambition or budget. They are only interested in a micro transaction market. Look at Black Desert to see how well that works, they just added subscription benefits IIRC.