Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

vGrade

Potato del Grande
If I put a high level Vaporeon at a gym I usually get him back after a few hours if im lucky but I put a 1600 Snorlax at a gym and he sits there for 3 days. I wonder when I will get him back

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
My 1900 Lapras has been gatekeeping a gym since Monday, I want her back damnit :x

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Heh, I actually have a second Eevee that's in the 86-93% range if it's level 5, and 6-11% if it's level 6. So I just power it up once and plug the stats back in to the calculator to figure out which is which?

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Look at the semi-circle above the pokemon on the profile sheet. That will tell you their level. Compare how full that bar is to another pokemon whose level you're more certain of. Just keep in mind that as you level up, the max level on the bar changes, and so all of the other levels less than max shift to the left on the bar.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Look at the semi-circle above the pokemon on the profile sheet. That will tell you their level. Compare how full that bar is to another pokemon whose level you're more certain of. Just keep in mind that as you level up, the max level on the bar changes, and so all of the other levels less than max shift to the left on the bar.
H1D3nHF.png

I'm level 16, and the IV calculator says that Slowpoke is lvl 7. If I'm level 16, shouldn't the middle be level 8, meaning that Slowpoke should be left of center? If the calculator is right about the Slowpoke being lvl 7, does that make the Eevee 5 or 6?

*edit*

All that being said, powering it up once should narrow down what level it is right? That's only 600 dust and 1 candy.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
You'll get the most trustworthy results if you evaluate the levels of a lot more than just two pokemons. If you pay attention to the level of everything you catch, then sooner or later you'll find a bunch that you're 100% sure of what level they are and the differences in the bar length will be easier to trust. It's kind of hard to talk about the details right now though, because there's a bunch of calculators floating around and the methods for being 100% certain with each calculator are all a little different.

I can't recommend spending any dust just to figure out what level they are though. First of all, you don't need to. Second, every stardust is precious, and you need a shit ton of it if you want max lvl pokemons. Third, low level pokemon need two or three shitloads of dust compared to the single shitload of dust the higher level pokemons you'll catch later will need.

ETA:Pokédexcel v2.07 - *Works Online* - IV Calculator, Roster, Moves, Weakness/Strength, ALL-in-ONE - [Permanent Homepage Linked From Excel] : TheSilphRoad
That's the calculator I've been using. It doesn't use half levels like apparently the game does (seriously though, why the hell do they use half levels?), but I like it anyway.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
There is nothing you people won't min/max is there. Even if you get the perfect pokemon, pretty much any scrub can still bounce him out of a gym with 6 pokemon to use. What's the point?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There is nothing you people won't min/max is there. Even if you get the perfect pokemon, pretty much any scrub can still bounce him out of a gym with 6 pokemon to use. What's the point?
If it has numbers, it must be min-maxed. GTFO pleb.

I can't recommend spending any dust just to figure out what level they are though. First of all, you don't need to. Second, every stardust is precious, and you need a shit ton of it if you want max lvl pokemons. Third, low level pokemon need two or three shitloads of dust compared to the single shitload of dust the higher level pokemons you'll catch later will need.
600 dust is still a drop in the bucket though. Are really high IV% pokemon not rare enough to be worth the trouble of leveling up a low one?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I just paused a UFC event to run out and grab a Tauros outside an Einstein Bagel. Picked up a 950 Magmar otw back. Totally worth it.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Eggs are higher IV range than captured Pokemon:

m4dpGA4.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/thesilphroad/comments/4twea5/_/

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
600 dust is still a drop in the bucket though. Are really high IV% pokemon not rare enough to be worth the trouble of leveling up a low one?
Is it really only one drop in a bucket though, or is it just the first of hundreds of drops? You don't need to spend stardust to figure out their IVs, but you can if that's what you want to do with your stardust. From what I can tell, it looks like stardust is the bottleneck stopping us from maxing out all of our high IV pokemons.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think people are probably assuming (or at least hoping) that a better form of battling than the wonky ass gyms is going to happen eventually.

Also, epeen, obviously. I shouldn't even have to tell you that Mr 143 Taconauts.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is it really only one drop in a bucket though, or is it just the first of hundreds of drops? You don't need to spend stardust to figure out their IVs, but you can if that's what you want to do with your stardust. From what I can tell, it looks like stardust is the bottleneck stopping us from maxing out all of our high IV pokemons.
If the Eevee is currently lvl 5, that means it's between 87 and 93% IV ratings. Is it not worth the stardust to level a pokemon up from that low even if he has high IVs? I'm perfectly willing to be patient if it's better to just wait til I find another high level Eevee with good IVs.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Idk, how important is it to you to go out and overthrow some gyms? If you want to get started doing that right away, then by all means, your high IV Eevee evolved into a Vaporeon and kept at max power up as you level is going to be your go-to for quite a while. If you're more interested in being conservative with your dust right now and using it on naturally higher CP pokemon later on, then maybe your army of pokemons will eventually be slightly bigger? It's your call really.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Save your dust, it's not worth powering up anything until you're level 20 and are catching higher CP Pokemon. You'll be dust limited real quick if you start powering up early.

Also, there's no point in powering up anyway until you can stand toe-to-toe with the local gym leaders. If your local gym leaders are also around 100-250 CP, then I'd still wait anyways until you have at least 1000+ CP Pokemon.