Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Keep in mind you can click on the map to see the results of other peoples' searches - they and their timers will be added to your map. The searches are not likely as fresh, but the timers are still good. I live in a smallish town, and there are at least several other people using this site (I can tell from where their searches are centered).

At least, this is my assumption on why I can click (not Search) in some places and pokemon and their timers pop up.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Due to increasing xp costs past trainer level 21, I'd say you're good to go in evolving / powering up this guy. Same for your Squirtle.

No, IV is permanent. But as you level you'll find higher CP values. Your charmander is a very, very good one and you're unlikely to find better anytime soon. But it's worthless without a bunch of charmander candy to evolve it.

My recommendation, put 2913 in the charmander's name and keep it. If you find a high CP charizard with similar stats, replace it. If you find a good nest of charmanders, farm them for a ton of charmander candy.
Thanks guys, very helpful. I was going to evolve them unless strongly advised not to. That's the point anyway right.

I have a spot where Charmanders spawn so I'll be heading there frequently to get him leveled. I only need 7 more candies for a Charmeleon. Then Charizard is only 100 looks like. That's not too bad!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Gavin, the best solution for mapping I've found is Poke Scanner. Android app, gets updated a lot. Gives you a visual indicator of your search radius and allows changing the size, pokemon filtering, etc.

Releases . PokeScanner

This game has given me a reason to finally use my samsung popup window feature

YKp10Sp.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My local area isn't working right now but this is the default search area for Pokevision. Looks pretty huge to me.

L8AkzbI.png
This is a conglomeration of multiple searches. Go to a populated area far from there, zoom in all the way, verify no pokemon show up, then scan. You'll get results similar to Gavinrad.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Stardust is the limiting factor because it takes so much to level a low CP Pokemon. Anything less than 80% CP just isn't worth considering powering up, imo.
I disagree because the stardust cost to level isn't high at low CP values.

Would I level a 95% IV, CP100 Charizard over a 90% IV, CP2000, Charizard? No. But if I had a 95% IV, CP500 Charizard vs a 50% IV, CP2000 Charizard, no way would I invest more in the 50% IV charizard. I'd still keep it though.

The most important thing is moveset, then IV and current level last.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Periscope livestream:https://www.periscope.tv/w/1rmxPDpDRzDxN

Trading mentioned, same with Pokemon Centers. Seems like they want people to create points. Working on stops. Want to add additional generations of Pokemon

Talking about cars vs walking in LA.

Confirmed Eevee naming easter egg.

Question about breeding, no current plans. And the stream went down...

It's back, question about a legendary event (i.e. right there at Comic-Con), doesn't seem like it's going to happen. They want to get the game live everywhere first.

Aware of the 3-step bug.

Debuting leadership of the teams: Image here (Pokemon GO on Twitter)
Team Mystic = Blanche
Team Instinct = Spark
Team Valor = Candela

More to come from the team leaders. Possibly involving legendaries.

And that's it.
Pretty weak update. I'm really curious as to what their road map for the game is, but they don't really owe me anything.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
lol @ Onix. I've hatched two of him (10k eggs).

This tier list fits with everything I know (up to B-).

UFggkh6.jpg

Neph_sl

shitlord
I disagree because the stardust cost to level isn't high at low CP values.

Would I level a 95% IV, CP100 Charizard over a 90% IV, CP2000, Charizard? No. But if I had a 95% IV, CP500 Charizard vs a 50% IV, CP2000 Charizard, no way would I invest more in the 50% IV charizard. I'd still keep it though.

The most important thing is moveset, then IV and current level last.
I admit that I haven't been looking that closely at IV and it was mostly a 'feels' thing. So I read a bunch of links from the OP and am still convinced that IVs aren't worth the effort.

Let's start with a 500 CP Charizard (Charizard | Pokemon Go).It'll take 147,600 Stardust + 122 Charmander Candy to get a 500 CP Charizard to 2000 CP.

147,600 Stardust is months worth of playing. You only get 100 Stardust per Pokemon catch, 500 Stardust a day per gym, and 2,000 Stardust per 10km egg (couldn't find the numbers for lower distance eggs, assume less than 2,000).

What about the benefit? If we scale Charizard to about 2000 CP, it'll be level 33 can have 2008.07 - 2343.09 range in CP. The midpoint is 2175.58.

Pop the numbers in an IV calculator (Pokemon GO Tools | The Silph Road) and you'll find that it's only a 21 attack + defense IV stat difference between the 50% and 100% Charizard, given both have the same HP/Stamina.

Charizard's base attack + defense are 212 + 182 or 394 combined. Therefore the 50% Charizard will have 403 stats and the 100% Charizard will have 434. The 50% Charizard has 92.8% of the attack/defense of the 100% Charizard.

For the amount of effort in getting the Stardust and Candy, I'll stick with the 50% Charizard with the higher CP.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
speaking of eggs, I think once I hit 20 I'm gonna sink some money in for incubators and try to always have 2 extra going. Don't really care about lures or incense, but extra incubators encourages me to get out there and keep racking up distance traveled. Think I put in close to 10km already today now that I've started mixing in bike riding with the walking.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I still don't get why people are calculating IVs for Pokemon with less than 80% of a full CP bar. Seems like a whole lot of work when you'll likely find better CP Pokemon, yet middling IVs, that are useful now.
IVs are permanent and an 80% full CP bar is going to go down as you level up. In the "long run" (whatever that means) IVs are more important than the "right now" usefulness of a full CP bar.

What I think is a little puzzling is that IVs are getting more discussion than move sets, because which attacks your pokemon uses is a bigger factor than IVs when deciding whether it's god tier or almost but not quite.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Its because iv is a spectrum and move sets are almost binary. Either you get a high value primary attack or your pokemon is gimped.

A zen headbutt \ earthquake snorlax isnt worth the candy or stardust to upgrade no matter how good its iv is. If its iv was high id keep it though.

Caveat, im not sure how good slow moves are for defending. So maybe zen headbutt is better for defending.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is a conglomeration of multiple searches. Go to a populated area far from there, zoom in all the way, verify no pokemon show up, then scan. You'll get results similar to Gavinrad.
Holy shit, Pokevision finally clicked for me. It's way better than I thought it was.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its because iv is a spectrum and move sets are almost binary. Either you get a high value primary attack or your pokemon is gimped.

A zen headbutt \ earthquake snorlax isnt worth the candy or stardust to upgrade no matter how good its iv is. If its iv was high id keep it though.

Caveat, im not sure how good slow moves are for defending. So maybe zen headbutt is better for defending.

Almost binary? Not by a long shot.Thismay be the best list I've seen so far. It seems to be the most thorough, at least.

Just as an easy to see example, a Snorlax with Lick is rated pretty close to the top of the list, but even the worst Snorlax move set is better than 93% of the other possible move sets. So the obvious question is whether this model accurately reflects real-world outcomes, and if not, where does it fall short?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I admit that I haven't been looking that closely at IV and it was mostly a 'feels' thing. So I read a bunch of links from the OP and am still convinced that IVs aren't worth the effort.

Let's start with a 500 CP Charizard (Charizard | Pokemon Go).It'll take 147,600 Stardust + 122 Charmander Candy to get a 500 CP Charizard to 2000 CP.

147,600 Stardust is months worth of playing. You only get 100 Stardust per Pokemon catch, 500 Stardust a day per gym, and 2,000 Stardust per 10km egg (couldn't find the numbers for lower distance eggs, assume less than 2,000).

What about the benefit? If we scale Charizard to about 2000 CP, it??Tll be level 33 can have 2008.07 - 2343.09 range in CP. The midpoint is 2175.58.

Pop the numbers in an IV calculator (Pokemon GO Tools | The Silph Road) and you??Tll find that it??Ts only a 21 attack + defense IV stat difference between the 50% and 100% Charizard, given both have the same HP/Stamina.

Charizard??Ts base attack + defense are 212 + 182 or 394 combined. Therefore the 50% Charizard will have 403 stats and the 100% Charizard will have 434. The 50% Charizard has 92.8% of the attack/defense of the 100% Charizard.

For the amount of effort in getting the Stardust and Candy, I??Tll stick with the 50% Charizard with the higher CP.
Ok. I'm either misunderstanding your post or your numbers are off. I'll use the same resource you're using (Charizard | Pokemon GoandPokemon GO Tools | The Silph Road)

Let's say you find two charizards simultaneously and are level 20.

One has 100% IV and is level 7 and has CP 508.
Other has 50% IV and is level 21 and has CP 1448.

In order to raise the 100% IV to level 21, you need 47.4k stardust.

Let's say your target level is 30 (My target level) and you want to carry your charizard with you (to level 31.5). The 100% IV will take 47.4k + 89k = 136.4k. The 50%IV will take 89k.

At level 31.5, the The 100% will have 2286CP. The 50% will have ~2132CP.

In my opinion the 47.4k stardust is worth the 150 difference in CP. I've collected around 160k stardust thus far at level 23. I would keep both charizards and keep the 50% IV at its level and use it for guarding gyms.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Almost binary? Not by a long shot.Thismay be the best list I've seen so far. It seems to be the most thorough, at least.

Just as an easy to see example, a Snorlax with Lick is rated pretty close to the top of the list, but even the worst Snorlax move set is better than 93% of the other possible move sets. So the obvious question is whether this model accurately reflects real-world outcomes, and if not, where does it fall short?
It's binary in that unless I see some data showing that a Snorlax with zen headbutt is amazing at gyms because it hits as often as lick anyway, I won't spend snorlax candy upgrading one. You're right that it's not binary. A snorlax with lick/hyperbeam is still very good. I'm just saying that movesets are so important that a dragonite with steel wing / hyperbeam isn't worth improving.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
BTW: I recommend against throwing away high IV, high value pokemon with bad movesets. You never know when they will rebalance the moves. The game's combat definitely feels like a proof of concept and all this will change.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Ok. I'm either misunderstanding your post or your numbers are off. I'll use the same resource you're using (Charizard | Pokemon GoandPokemon GO Tools | The Silph Road)

Let's say you find two charizards simultaneously and are level 20.

One has 100% IV and is level 7 and has CP 508.
Other has 50% IV and is level 21 and has CP 1448.

In order to raise the 100% IV to level 21, you need 47.4k stardust.

Let's say your target level is 30 (My target level) and you want to carry your charizard with you (to level 31.5). The 100% IV will take 47.4k + 89k = 136.4k. The 50%IV will take 89k.

At level 31.5, the The 100% will have 2286CP. The 50% will have ~2132CP.

In my opinion the 47.4k stardust is worth the 150 difference in CP. I've collected around 160k stardust thus far at level 23. I would keep both charizards and keep the 50% IV at its level and use it for guarding gyms.
Rather than carrying a single level 21 Charizard to level 31.5, which would take 89k Stardust, I would rather use that Stardust to power up a variety higher CP Pokemon I found while climbing to trainer level 30.

Also, what happens if you find a slightly higher IV Charizard while climbing to trainer level 30? Your Stardust will have gone to waste on your old one, assuming you've been powering it up as your trainer level increases.

To me, all it comes down to is do you see IVs as a min/max function, or is it a bonus? I tend to see it as a bonus.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's binary in that unless I see some data showing that a Snorlax with zen headbutt is amazing at gyms because it hits as often as lick anyway, I won't spend snorlax candy upgrading one. You're right that it's not binary. A snorlax with lick/hyperbeam is still very good. I'm just saying that movesets are so important that a dragonite with steel wing / hyperbeam isn't worth improving.
I'm pretty sure I just linked some data showing that a Snorlax with zen headbutt and earthquake is better than 93% of the other move sets. Is that amazing? Is it accurate?

I completely agree with you that it's too early to consider any of these numbers to be set in stone. On that same note, It's also too early to think that the "best move is only worthy move" rule of thumb is set in stone.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Another thing to consider is that, as far as I heard/seen, movesets are random between evolutions, while IVs stay the same. Sure, you can nurture a lower CP Pokemon with perfect IVs, but hopefully it doesn't need to evolve.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
BTW: I recommend against throwing away high IV, high value pokemon with bad movesets. You never know when they will rebalance the moves. The game's combat definitely feels like a proof of concept and all this will change.
I sure hope so, my first 10k egg popped a 90% Scyther with what looks like the worst possible moveset a Scyther can have. Although it looks like Scyther is pretty much just a shit pokemon regardless.