Pokemon (Handhelds, not Go)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wanted to blab about Pokemon but didn't want to clutter up the Go thread with handheld talk.

So who wants to speculate about the typing of the Gen 7 starters?

Gen 1 had Grass/Poison, Fire/Flying at stage 3, and Water.

Gen 2 all three starters were single type.

Gen 3 had Grass, Fire/Fighting at stage 2, and Water/Ground at stage 2.

Gen 4 had Grass/Ground at stage 3, Fire/Fighting at stage 2, and Water/Steel at stage 3.

Gen 5 had Grass, Fire/Fighting at stage 2, and Water.

Gen 6 had Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Dark all at stage 3.

Gen 7's Grass starter is Flying at stage 1, and since it's a bird I doubt it changes from Flying.

Gen 7's Fire starter is a black cat, so I could see it turning Fire/Dark at stage 2 or stage 3.

Gen 7's Water starter is a sea lion, so it could really gain any secondary type at all or stay pure water. There was no real indication that Gen 4 or 6's water starters would gain the secondary type they did.

Incidentally, seems like they really have a hard-on for Fire/Fighting starters. 3 generations in a row.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's worth it, Chimchar evolves into my favorite pokemon Infernape. Flare Blitz/Close Combat (120 power stabs) makes it a glass cannon which usually goes first, Thunder Punch and U-Turn deal with its counters. It destroys Gyrados.

I hate Infernape. His learned moveset is terrible throughout the early and mid-game, why the hell would you give a priority move (mach punch) to a pokemon with such a high speed? And since it's Gen 4, focus punch is still trash tier which means the only decent fighting move off a TM is brick break. Flame Wheel is decent when you get it but it falls so far behind in the midgame that I had to give him Flamethrower.

I'll take Emboar over Infernape any day of the week and twice on Sunday, although I prefer Samurott in Gen 5 because the native water pokemon in Gen 5 are pretty bad and my typical lineups just roll without a grass type anyway.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Gavin, or anyone else, ever mess around with Pokemon ROM hacks? Seems like there's actually some pretty damn good ones out there, but I've never messed around with any other than the ones like Emerald 351 (all Pokemon catchable without trading).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nah. I feel like they balance what pokemon are available before you get to the post-game pretty well, it's always fun getting your all-purpose lineup just right. The only hack I'd like to see is every pokemon that requires trading to evolve to gain their third stage as soon as they hit stage 2. Gen 5 is hurting for fighting types (I prefer not to use Emboar). If you can't evolve Gurdurr into Conkeldurr, you're pretty much just left with Mienshao, except you can't get Mienfoo until you're in your mid/late 30s and Mienfoo is pretty shitty until it evolves into Mienshao at 50.

At least White/Black 2 add Heracross and Lucario to the mix.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
From what I remember of the leaks, the starters will be Grass/Flying, Fire/Fighting (kill me), and I think Popplio stays pure Water. Most of the stuff in Sun/Moon I'm looking forward to, but I'm annoyed that Gamefreak is giving every 'mon and its sister alternate forms. I really hate the 1st gen alt forms. I'm tired of the pandering to nostalgia fags, I want new cool Hawaiian-themed Pokemon.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
So I dropped down some loot and picked up 2 3d's systems and all 4 gen 6 games to get ready to plan gen 7 and win tournaments with my fiancee.

Does anyone here play the game at the competitive level that could answer a question or two, do we have someone like that on the forums by chance?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
So I dropped down some loot and picked up 2 3d's systems and all 4 gen 6 games to get ready to plan gen 7 and win tournaments with my fiancee.

Does anyone here play the game at the competitive level that could answer a question or two, do we have someone like that on the forums by chance?

All I can tell you is that official sponsored competitive is Double Battles. You're gonna want to check out these links:

The 2016 Video Game Championship Format Has Been Announced! | Pokemon.com

2016 Pokémon Video Game Championship Series Preview | Pokemon.com

Unfortunately I don't play competitively. But there is a community that does and it will most likely answer most of your questions.

Smogon University - Competitive Pokémon Community

The amount of info the place is pretty insane, tbh.

Smogon is a decent resource but keep in mind that most Smogon competitive discussion is based around Smogon's custom banlists and formats, which are NOT sponsored by Nintendo and do not have tournaments that pay out. The only information you'll want too look at on Smogon is information related to VGC.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Wow guys thank you, this was huge. I made a team that so far is smashing people in Smogon and now that I see the Play! Pokémon events are 4 pokemon only and currently allowing 2 legendary I can work on that team. All this changes of course on November 30th when the format switch happens for the 2017 season, but thanks guys you gave me a ton to work with and I've spent the past few days just getting it all in.

Wish me luck! ;p

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Wow guys thank you, this was huge. I made a team that so far is smashing people in Smogon and now that I see the Play! Pokémon events are 4 pokemon only and currently allowing 2 legendary I can work on that team. All this changes of course on November 30th when the format switch happens for the 2017 season, but thanks guys you gave me a ton to work with and I've spent the past few days just getting it all in.

Wish me luck! ;p

Keep us updated!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Girlfriend and I got matching Gameboy Advance SPs and matching copies of Ruby/Sapphire. Having a blast so far, at 30 years old this is actually my first time playing Pokemon along with someone.

Next will be either FireRed/LeafGreen, or if we can afford it DSis and HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Better to skip FR/LG, IMO they're some of the worst games in the series.

Pokemon Tier List.png

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
List is kinda funny considering how much I enjoyed X and Y and how I've heard so much negativity about Sun and Moon.

The only real complaint I have about X and Y is the goddamn exp share change making it too easy, but not using it at all makes leveling too tedious.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
FR/LG would be so we can stick with our GBAs and not get new systems.

Also we have a strong attachment to Gen1.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Is this the closest thing the board has to a Pokemon thread? Damn. I've played every main-series Pokemon game and the only ones I remember not having a ton of fun with were X and Diamond. Especially Diamond. So goddamn slow, that one.

Just got the Gen 4 remake Brilliant Diamond. Hoping it's closer to Platinum than it is to Diamond in terms of QOL.

I was expecting visuals like Pokemon Sword and instead it's... basically the original Diamond with better resolution. The characters are superdeformed POP figures rather than the lifelike models they usually have in modern Pokemon. While it looked good/normal in old 2D games, it looks ridiculous in a semi-3D setting. Alpha Sapphire didn't even do this. Completely jarring. Blech.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Is this the closest thing the board has to a Pokemon thread? Damn. I've played every main-series Pokemon game and the only ones I remember not having a ton of fun with were X and Diamond. Especially Diamond. So goddamn slow, that one.

Just got the Gen 4 remake Brilliant Diamond. Hoping it's closer to Platinum than it is to Diamond in terms of QOL.

I was expecting visuals like Pokemon Sword and instead it's... basically the original Diamond with better resolution. The characters are superdeformed POP figures rather than the lifelike models they usually have in modern Pokemon. While it looked good/normal in old 2D games, it looks ridiculous in a semi-3D setting. Alpha Sapphire didn't even do this. Completely jarring. Blech.

I'm mostly just disappointed so far that TMs are still one time use in this. I thought they changed that for most of the other remakes. Oh well. Otherwise having fun. This was not my favorite gen, though, but it's the only goddamn generation with the Shinx line in it before endgame or without fuckery. Shinx is fucking dope.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
2786 attempts through Thanksgiving week. Hope he got a crapton of donations.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So my 7 yo son likes Pokémon but has never played any game yet. He has a switch, which one should he get? He’s never really played a game that you select things from a menu to fight though he’s seen me playing games like that. He loves botw, smash bros, anything Mario or Zelda really. I’ve never played a Pokémon game either so I’m clueless. I see diamond, pearl, legends, shield, let’s go evee, and no idea what the differences are.

Rajaah Rajaah Gavinmad Gavinmad you seem to be the main Pokémon weeb gurus on the board, what’s the best intro game on a switch? Or just best one really.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've messed with Shield/Sword; they're honestly really solid. The Dyna stuff is a little meh but otherwise I highly recommend. Also a learning curve that really starts to test you in the last 20% of the game. You get a strong introduction to how having opposite type skills on some pokemon are super f'n strong in certain situations. It'll be the first real time you need to look at lineup vs. just pure "what is weakness" thinking. Dragon guy gives zero fucks about your strengths hah.

It's Late/Early, whatever - edit

So Diamond and Pearl are remakes of earlier games, and are mechanically less... interesting, even though those are considered super solid for the time. Anything with Go in the title means you do little jerk off motions to toss balls at Pokemon; if that's his interest then Go is his actual desire, and it'll get him outside. No idea about Legends or the new Arceus thing, but sword/shield and pearl/diamond are much more traditional Pokemon games.

• 1Like