Pokemon (Handhelds, not Go)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The catching mechanics in Let's Go are fucking horrendous. It's absolutely not fun in the least. Once you have to try to catch harder stuff like the legendary birds, etc. it's fucking infuriating.

As for Arceus, IDK, it just looks boring as fuck to me. Just watching reviews and seeing that Kleavor encounter where you dodge and chuck balms at it for 90% of the "fight" and that's being praised as one of the cooler types of content in the game...oof. Maybe there's better quests later, but it looked mostly like "go catch X bidoof" or "go hit Y little shits with some herb bombs" etc. On top of that, the game just looks like shit...it's ugly as a motherfucker.

Anyone hear able to change my mind? I don't really trust any review sites with Pokemon games, because the soyboys are always going to gargle the Pokemon cock. I skipped out on Sword and Shield as well because they looked like hot trash and dynamax is a retarded gimmick, but then again it sold more than any other Pokemon game ever, apparently, so maybe I'm wrong.
I won’t try to change your mind. I’ve watched my kid play Arceus and it looks boring as hell to me. I think he’s just so young and fascinated with interacting with Pokémon instead of just watching them on tv that he doesn’t realize the game barely has any mechanics to it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
The catching mechanics in Let's Go are fucking horrendous. It's absolutely not fun in the least. Once you have to try to catch harder stuff like the legendary birds, etc. it's fucking infuriating.

As for Arceus, IDK, it just looks boring as fuck to me. Just watching reviews and seeing that Kleavor encounter where you dodge and chuck balms at it for 90% of the "fight" and that's being praised as one of the cooler types of content in the game...oof. Maybe there's better quests later, but it looked mostly like "go catch X bidoof" or "go hit Y little shits with some herb bombs" etc. On top of that, the game just looks like shit...it's ugly as a motherfucker.

Anyone hear able to change my mind? I don't really trust any review sites with Pokemon games, because the soyboys are always going to gargle the Pokemon cock. I skipped out on Sword and Shield as well because they looked like hot trash and dynamax is a retarded gimmick, but then again it sold more than any other Pokemon game ever, apparently, so maybe I'm wrong.
Looks like a shitty version of a Genshin Impact open world (which also has a lot of dodging in combat).

I mention Genshin because it's fucking free.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
There are 5 total encounters in the game which you have to dodge and throw shit with your character while wearing down a pokemon, and you also have the option to battle normally in-between those phases. You guys are literally making a mountain out of a fucking molehill here. The rest of the game has classic style battles and the other shit is just a modern take on the old formula. Honestly the most refreshing take on the franchise in two decades. It's addicting.

Sword and Shield was garbage comparatively, same story that's been redone a dozen times, and it was much easier overall. This game deserves a purchase just because it isn't the same bullshit 8 gyms + elite 4 + your rival.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah taking a chance on this one after the good reviews and impressions. Skipped BDSP as that looked more of the same, at least this is trying something different.

BDSP is actually a step back. It's inferior visually and innovation-wise to ASOR. Like there's a huge difference between Gen 3 OG and ASOR, and very little difference between Gen 4 OG and BDSP. Barely qualifies as a remake, more of a remaster if anything.

Gonna grab Arceus this week, but I hope it doesn't take too long to finish.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I just finished the main story line yesterday in Pokemon Legends Arceus, and holy fucking shit is that an amazingly good take ont he Pokemon formula. I know it's not graphically awesome (or even good), but the game play is so fucking fun.

I plan on working on the pokedex and the Arceus quest you get after completing the main story. I literally didn't even complete Pokemon Blue Diamond because I got bored halfway through. Pokemon Legends Arceus in contrast was addicting as hell.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I got through Pokemon Brilliant Diamond by basically leaning heavily on my OP party with 3 legendaries in it (the game just gives you 3 legendaries near the beginning, seriously). I rolled over the entire game with ease, and watched things while I played to ease the boredom.

Then the final boss is absolutely ABSURD. I wrecked everything up to the Elite Four, had a little trouble with the Elite Four but got past them in one go, then ran into a total brick wall with the final boss. I'd get down 4 of her 6 'mons without much issue, then the 5th would heal itself endlessly while I ran out of attacks. Eventually got lucky and used up all her heals, had a couple crits in a row, etc, and downed that complete cheapskate foe. Then the 6th 'mon always went first and ALWAYS ONE-SHOTTED EVERYONE. So I couldn't even get an attack off. It was incredibly absurd after how easy the rest of the game was. I ended up using revive spam to revive everyone she one-shotted until she ran out of attacks. Seriously. Eventually all she had left was a buff ability and I was able to get 2-3 attacks off and win the fight. I couldn't even get ONE attack off until she ran out of attacks. Spammed about 30 revives doing that. I've never seen anything like it in Pokemon. I actually ran out of revives right about as she ran out of attacks, so I was that close to having to do the whole Elite Four over again. Like I said, absurd.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Then the final boss is absolutely ABSURD.
Cynthia is something of a legend in Pokemon, especially her Garchomp. She's actually even harder in the Gen 4 versions of the game because Spiritomb had no type weakness until Fairy was added. You want some Intimidate swap-ins for her Garchomp, like Staravia and/or Gyarados. Gyarados can also learn Ice Fang, which is 4x against Garchomp after you deplete that Yache berry. An Abomasnow can just tank Garchomp, and matches up well against that Milotic that was giving you trouble. People who like to live dangerously will bring a Garchomp of their own with speed EVs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Funny story about Arceus, I went to Best Buy to pick it up and they didn't have it. I was like "any other stores have it?" and the clerk (who was right out of Idiocracy) was like "naw everybody sold out" so I asked if I could order it online and she went on the computer and was like "naw you can't order it either". I was like "No stores have it...and I can't order it?" and then I just sorta gave up. I was too busy to pop over to Gamestop and see if they had it, but I did have to return some stuff to the library so while I was there I asked if they could order the game. I figured maybe in like a week or so they'd get it at best, and it was just a kind of "if I haven't gotten it by whenever they get it in I'll get it here I guess" thing. I was probably just gonna go buy it anyway. Well, one day later, library calls to tell me Arceus is in, brand new copy, first person to check it out.

Dunno, I think it's a cool story, never doubt the power of the local library. So I've got Arceus now. It'll take like a day to download the day one patch on my sub-dialup Phone Hotspot internet speed, plus I'm pretty busy tomorrow, so I'm gonna start it on Sunday probably.

Anyone have any advice before I get going on it? Specifically I want to clear the game as quick as I can because I have a lot of RL stuff to get to this week. Dedicating like, Sunday and Monday to it.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Your progression through into new areas is tied to your Scout rank, which is tied to pokedex completions. You can keep it high enough without really any grinding by generally just catching/battling whatever you see as you go through an area. Larger streaks (10/20/30+ catches) in a single outing will net more bonus points, so try not to go back to town until you actually need something. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

Always empty whatever you have in your inventory into storage before you leave town/camp. There are a lot of crafting materials you wont need to keep on you at all times and your bag can get full pretty quick. Just keep balls, potions and whatever you need to craft more of those things on you.

I felt like the owl starter is weak to damn near everything I fight so I'd probably go with Typhlosion or Samurott instead next time.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I felt like the owl starter is weak to damn near everything I fight so I'd probably go with Typhlosion or Samurott instead next time.
Apparently the three Arceus starters have Hisuian forms at their third stage with new typing. Fire - Fire - Fire/Ghost, Grass/Flying - Grass/Flying - Grass/Fighting, Water - Water - Water/Dark.

The Arceus Pokedex also shows the Gen 4 Starters (Chimchar, Turtwig, and Piplup) so I'm guessing you'll be able to recruit one or more of them fairly early on as well.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yes you can get them all (not early) but playing through the main story I wouldn't pick the owl again.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'll probably go with the Fire dude, Ghost is generally pretty strong. Though Water/Dark is appealing too.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Cynthia is something of a legend in Pokemon, especially her Garchomp. She's actually even harder in the Gen 4 versions of the game because Spiritomb had no type weakness until Fairy was added. You want some Intimidate swap-ins for her Garchomp, like Staravia and/or Gyarados. Gyarados can also learn Ice Fang, which is 4x against Garchomp after you deplete that Yache berry. An Abomasnow can just tank Garchomp, and matches up well against that Milotic that was giving you trouble. People who like to live dangerously will bring a Garchomp of their own with speed EVs.

I still have a Pokemon Platinum run to do in the future so I'll keep all this info for that. I'll probably base my party entirely around defeating Cynthia at the end, since nothing else in the game poses that much of a threat. Staravia, Gyarados, Abomasnow, and whatever else.

Intimidate swap-ins were a huge help in the remake version fight with Cynthia. I basically swapped in characters with auto-debuffs one after another as she one-shotted everyone and I spammed revives. It was the weirdest fight I've ever seen in a game, I think. Closest comparable thing would be people revive-spamming an untanked Sleeper in EQ or something. Unfortunately the debuffs didn't do much because every so often she'd use Sword Dance to negate them (and I couldn't capitalize on the breaks in one-shotting because I'd already punched in an item use for that round).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I still have a Pokemon Platinum run to do in the future so I'll keep all this info for that. I'll probably base my party entirely around defeating Cynthia at the end, since nothing else in the game poses that much of a threat. Staravia, Gyarados, Abomasnow, and whatever else.

Intimidate swap-ins were a huge help in the remake version fight with Cynthia. I basically swapped in characters with auto-debuffs one after another as she one-shotted everyone and I spammed revives. It was the weirdest fight I've ever seen in a game, I think. Closest comparable thing would be people revive-spamming an untanked Sleeper in EQ or something. Unfortunately the debuffs didn't do much because every so often she'd use Sword Dance to negate them (and I couldn't capitalize on the breaks in one-shotting because I'd already punched in an item use for that round).
No yache berry in gen 4 so a single decent ice attack should get the job done, although her spiritomb will be much more annoying.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
In all the Elden Ring hubbub I missed this getting announced. Looks like they’re going open world again. My opinion of the franchise is at an all time low with how shit Sword and Shield turned out and how boring and ugly Arceus seems but that goddamn grass cat is sickeningly cute enough I may have to just get it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
In all the Elden Ring hubbub I missed this getting announced. Looks like they’re going open world again. My opinion of the franchise is at an all time low with how shit Sword and Shield turned out and how boring and ugly Arceus seems but that goddamn grass cat is sickeningly cute enough I may have to just get it.

I prefer the gameplay of Arceus, but Sword/Shield is WAAAAY better looking visually.

This new one looks like it combines the best of those two things. Scarlet/Violet are really good titles too. So far Gen 9 is looking pretty rad.