Portable Air Conditioners

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Anyone have any good recommendations? I can’t put in a window unit so I’m looking at a portable one I can vent through the window. Anyone ever use any?

I’m looking to keep it in the $300 range. The room I’m cooling is about 250-300 sq feet.

Reviews range so wide in many and some units with the same exact specs say they do far less area than others so I’m confused about too.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Is it louder than a large 30 inch that’s on high 24/7 ya think? (Which is pretty loud)

I’d rather have the noise than 90 degree humidity, it’s not even hot outside yet and a few nights already the heat in there has impacted my sleep.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I said in the OP I could vent through the window I just can put in a window unit.

How big a room did you have that in? Mine is about 18x15 ish.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We got one last year for our place in northern mi. We bought it at Costco for like $400. Upright unit that sits on the floor and has a tube that goes out the window with adjustable baffles. Costco had 2 of them, we chose the bigger more powerful one. Does the job quite well.

Oldbased

> Than U
Anyone have any good recommendations? I can’t put in a window unit so I’m looking at a portable one I can vent through the window. Anyone ever use any?

I’m looking to keep it in the $300 range. The room I’m cooling is about 250-300 sq feet.

Reviews range so wide in many and some units with the same exact specs say they do far less area than others so I’m confused about too.
A month late but I have for the past 15 years ran a window AC in my bedroom when he hate central heat and air. Shelly freezes below 72 and I was working outside often so I would be hot at 70. Solution was a window AC. I've had 5000, 6000 and 8000 btus and over those 15 years they have become more quiet, with better features and use much less power, especially on compressor startup.
The problem with this is, cheaper brands still are about as good as they were 10 years ago in terms of those things but higher end brands even like Frigidaire are a bit better on those things.
Currently I am using a 6000 btu Frigidaire that uses 530ish watts of power when running, has a energy setting and a remote with sleep, temp and fan speed controls on it but it is directly over my bed with tilting vents. It uses a decent filter so it filters shit out of the air as well. It is fairly quiet making only a hum when it is cooling and normal low noise fan when not. You can set it to where the fan will only run when it is cooling too if you want.
My room is 13x15 or 195 sq feet and on 100 degree day it runs maybe 15 minutes a hour to keep it 69 with the house AC set at 73. It is digital display and had more features than the base model same brand so I think I paid $170 for it. It would cool 250 no problem. If you go up to 8000 btu which is suggested for that square footage it will be slightly larger, louder and pull more like 700 watts. That is a no go when you have a tv, cable, router, 3 monitors, pc, printer, soundbar with sub, floor fan, allergen unit, fishtank in the same room.

My killawatt tool says at my power costs, it costs me $18 a month to run it, but it actually helps cool part of the house which is using around 8000 watts when it runs, so I personally think it saves on the power bill. The best thing to do is figure out where you will buy it, go and write down the model numbers then go to the websites where it tells you everything about it. Then you can make your choice knowing how loud, how much airflow and how much power it will use.