Portugal

lofwyrx_sl

shitlord
I plan on going to Portugal this year, I speak french and english.

Will I be able to communicate with the majority of population in big cities ?

What about small cities ?

thank you.

Bortas_sl

shitlord
Portugal is very quet place. I've see the Porto and Coimbra, the 1st is cute and cheap place (good fish dish) obl. a tour on porto's cellars, the 2nd Universitary city with a qurter of very strnge student house...

Candiarie_sl

shitlord
I spent a week in Porto only being able to speak French and English and got by fine. I had a Portuguese phrase book but a lot of the young folks spoke English. Older hospitality folks spoke French. Anyone else I got by with the charades game. Porto is crazy cheap to stay in. We rented a 5 or 6 bed flat near the center of town with internet and a kitchen for something like 20euro a night.

Isengard_sl

shitlord
I plan on going to Portugal this year, I speak french and english.

Will I be able to communicate with the majority of population in big cities ?

What about small cities ?

thank you.
No problem in big cities. Small towns, depending on literacy may be dificult, but you'll get by.
It's like Candiarie said, the young folks speak mostly english while the older tend to be more fluent in French.

Try to avoid tourist traps i.e. Algarve and anywhere with blatant portuguese "traditonal" merchandise.
Porto and surroundings, Lisbon and Alentejo are definitely worth visiting. And there are many interesting places along the way if you do plan to make such trip.
If you want to i can help you with a detailed rout through the best spots.

The best "black pork" lingui?a comes from the tiny( and i mean tiny, there isn't even an ATM) village of Amieira in Alentejo. The mighty acorn fed iberian pigs are specially good in that region and you can see them in the fields nearby.

I'll try to get some this weekend.

Fruit_sl

shitlord
Hi I want to be a famous explorer(at the moment I am an unknown explorer), I am looking for the lost Brazilian gold said to have been stolen by the Portuguese. Until recently I did not believe it was lost, but rather being hoarded, but then I found out Portugal is in a lot of debt so I thought to myself "Why wouldn't they use the gold to pay it off?". I came to the conclusion that it is indeed lost, and that an explorer such as myself could find a great fortune in Portugal should he find it.

My question is, how hard to do you think it will be to find the lost Brazilian gold and do you have any idea where said gold is?