Ssraeszha Raider
fresh from groomer
E57E0442-9A58-441F-9ACB-6F35245CE7B4.jpeg

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Looking for suggestions on a dog for a female relative in her 70s who recently lost her golden retriever. No small pocket dogs. Must have similar temperament (or better?) than golden. Preferably sheds less. Should get along with cats. No price limit for purchase.

can go golden again but curious what other options are out there

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
All large breeds can have an issue with hip dysplasia. Start them out on glucosamine as a puppy, it is now standard in most large breed dog foods.

Make sure it gets trained. For safety purposes. You need to make sure he doesn't jump up to say hi as at 80+ pounds it could knock over an elderly person.

They are incredibly loyal, smart (vocabulary of about 25 words) and protective with women.
Ok. I’ll need to train it myself as this person is too old to do it. Thanks

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Hire someone. Assuming you aren't in the sticks, find someone who works for sheriff's training their K-9 units. We used a guy who worked with Broward Sheriff K9s. It was one fee for lifetime training and refreshers. Was worth every penny.
That was actually my next question. My time is a little tight and hands down I’d rather have someone do it. I’ve never really trained a dog myself. Thanks a ton

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
You can get started dogs of many breeds that would need little training they'd just be a more expensive. Be honest, if she can't undertake training herself how will she be in two years when it is near finished.

Started dogs are usually very well trained but just didn't pan out for their intended purpose for one reason or another. I've never looked for one from companion training but they aren't rare in hunting breeds.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Miniature (not toy) poodles are great old lady dogs. Super smart, don't shed at all, hypoallergenic, won't knock her over like a lab/golden/German Shepard puppy might. Very athletic and can be taught to do anything. Very nice companion dogs.

miniaturepoodles-buffyR.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Miniature (not toy) poodles are great old lady dogs. Super smart, don't shed at all, hypoallergenic, won't knock her over like a lab/golden/German Shepard puppy might. Very athletic and can be taught to do anything. Very nice companion dogs.

miniaturepoodles-buffyR.jpg
My neighbors have one and she is dumb as fuck. We take her to our house a lot to play with our dogs and love her to death but she’s flat out dumb.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My neighbors have one and she is dumb as fuck. We take her to our house a lot to play with our dogs and love her to death but she’s flat out dumb.
Don't know about your neighbor's dog but...

Screenshot_20220217-213933.png

Screenshot_20220217-213817.png

What a manly dog you have their Brutal. I especially dig the pink leash. 😃
You don't look that intimidating walking them, but my grandparents had one and she was an awesome dog.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Otto

Just had to put my Dachshund Heidi down a few hours ago. Day started normal and then she started wandering around the house constantly and wouldn't respond when called or even acknowledge me. Vet tech said she had gone blind and her kidneys and liver were shutting down. She was diagnosed with stage one kidney disease last year but bloodwork showed she was stable not even a week ago. She would've been 16 in Aug. Going to miss her. Been working from home ever since the lockdowns and she was my shadow. Best dog I ever owned.
20211001_133200.jpg

• 16Solidarity
  • 2Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 17 users