Post Your Pet

FiReBReTHa

N00b
Ya know, its funny since I had problems with the tank I really didnt talk to anyone about it, it stressed me out so bad I stepped away from the reefing community, kinda goofy to come out to you guys about it finally.

I had redundancys on redundancys, apex programming up the wazoo, power supplies, I just went nuts on it. But that was something that couldnt be kept from.

I loved your RC thread Grey, probably going to reread thru it for inspiration/excitement.

I found some old videos on youtube that just broke me and made me realize how beautiful it used to be.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Here's a shot of my only "pet". His name is Hank and he's 4 years old and about 22 inches. Pardon the crappy cell phone pics. DSLR is at home from the last photo shoot at the shop.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cool to see other reefers. I'm a year in and taking a overstocked w/ coral + a few fish. 55g into a 210 (just bought and cycled a 125 before finding killer deal and hating the 125 so swapping them out before I even used it.)

Have a little tiny mantis running around which finally hit me the other day as well as a huge peacock mantis in it's own tank with sea urchins and a damsel who knows me and isn't aggressive to my hand.

No pics really as I don't own anything but my cell phone cam. The upgrade only was possible moving from a 3rd floor apartment to a house w/ a unfinished basement. Sadly I've been losing a bunch of sps frags that bleach out pretty quick that I've added since I've moved as well as losing other corals due to being over crammed in there and losing some live rock lost me surface area to put them. (Let it get so overstocked because I knew of the coming upgrade but then got huge delays having to run new lines, and now waiting for the 210 till the guy gets his new tank.)

Stave

Potato del Grande
I had to put down my cat of 13 years today, had him since my bachelor days. It was super hard. He was really old, and even though he was still spry, he couldn't keep any weight on, and puked every time he ate no matter which food, and started not using his litter box about a year ago and it's just gotten to be too much with accidents everywhere all day every day. The last 6 months he got super raspy sounding when he breathed/purred, and he would have sneezing/coughing fits whenever he would be active/move around from one area to another. He may have gotten another year or so, but I don't know if he was suffering. That's the hardest part, knowing if he was suffering or not. He seemed happy, but it was just getting to be too much and he was sooo skinny. I was in the room when they did it, and it was super hard to say goodbye. I felt like I was letting him down or responsible for ending his life and choosing when he goes. First pet I have ever had to put down, and first real pet I ever had, cat/dog. Anyways though, shit sucks man
frown.png
He slept with me every single night, gonna be a hard one tonight I'm sure.

I feel for ya.
Try to stay away from alcohol the first few days. It doesn't help. It makes it worse.
Took me about 2 weeks and I was feeling better.
I even started looking for another kitten, but haven't chose one yet. Maybe next year.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Sorry to hear that man. Every time someone posts that they had to put their pet down I feel terrible. I know that day is coming for me soon'ish too, and I don't know how well I'll deal with it. My first cat is 11 years old and almost 30 lbs, so who knows how long he has? He seems in good health (other than being a fatass), but that can change at a moment's notice.

I wish you, and everyone else that loses a pet, well. Pets are so awesome that we can't imagine being without them, but losing them is painful just to think about.

Hasto_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_41257.jpg
rrr_img_41254.jpg
rrr_img_41255.jpg
rrr_img_41256.jpg

First is my JRussell Caoimhe, 2nd is my French bull Bella, 3rd obviously is the 2 of them passing out and the last is my future French bull Jake. Caoimhe is almost 1 yr old now, Bella is 6 months and Jake is 5 weeks old so I won't be getting him for another 5 weeks.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hasto, you like your Frenchies? I've always been really fond of their look, but I've never really been around one for more than like 10 minutes.

Hasto_sl

shitlord
I love Frenchies. Actually, both them and Boston Terriers are really fun dogs. But the French Bulls tend to be more friendly with other animals than the terriers do. They love to run and play with other dogs, are good with kids and are pretty intelligent and surprisingly easy to train. If you have had any experience with English Bulldogs, they are similar to them in the way that they always want to be the center of attention and are also built like a tank so they tend to just run through things... like chairs or coffee tables. Bella is smaller in physical size than my jack russell but she outweighs her by probably 3-4lbs. And it is pure muscle. When the 2 of them play and she is actually able to sneak up on or catch my Jack Russell, she tend to just torpedo straight through her. It's pretty humorous.

They don't like hot weather too much. They tend to get overheated pretty easily. And, although I haven't tested this, they apparently are not able to swim? Or maybe they just have difficulty with swimming. Something to do with them not being buoyant. The darker coat frenchies have less skin issues than like your cream colored ones. They do tend to have similar breathing issues as other flat faced type breeds like pugs or english bulls. Although Bella doesn't snore yet, I am sure she will start.

If you do look into getting one, make sure you get it from a reputable breeder and not a puppy mill. Just like with pugs, english bulls, boston terriers and other dogs of that type they have to be checked properly to verify they don't have any breed specific medical conditions which are inherit in these types of dogs. Which tend to be issues with the eyes, breathing passages or severe skin issues. This normally comes about from overbreeding or inbreeding. But this is an issue when purchasing most dogs these days.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thank you Hasto. I'm a ways off from getting a dog, but I would most definitely get mine through a breeder. I do live in Florida, but I've seen plenty of English bulldogs around and they seem to fare okay.

Hasto_sl

shitlord
Yeah. They all tend to do okay. Even though they don't do well in heat, as long as you keep plenty of water around they do fine. They just overheat faster than a lot of other breeds. It actually cracks me up when they come in to the house and just spread eagle on the tile floor trying to cool off. I am sure a vet or somebody more knowledgeable than myself would be pissed at me for allowing them to just run around as much as I do during the summer, but they always enjoy themselves and typically let me know when they have had enough.

I actually just lost my English Bulldog about a month ago. She was only 6 and some family was watching her while I was out of town. She was fed something, still not sure what, and got real sick. After she was throwing up for almost 48 hrs they called to tell me. I immediately called the emergency vet and had them take her over there. She died a few hours later. According to the vet she inhaled the vomit back into her lungs because of how much she was heaving. Broke my heart and I have never wanted to hurt a family member as much as I did at that time.

rrr_img_42408.jpg

Hasto_sl

shitlord
Thanks man. I think one of the things that truly pissed me off was them waiting 2 days to finally call to let me know. The vet said if she had been brought in during the first day or even early the second that she probably would have been fine.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Ugh. Seriously if it is any consolation to you at all I am going to my brothers wedding in a couple months. My mom's sister, who is a complete dolt, is watching my parents dog. I told my mom there isn't a chance in hell that I'd allow her to watch my dog. You just reaffirmed my decision that come hell or high water I find someone who is responsible to watch him.

Really sorry dude

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I actually just lost my English Bulldog about a month ago. She was only 6 and some family was watching her while I was out of town. She was fed something, still not sure what, and got real sick. After she was throwing up for almost 48 hrs they called to tell me. I immediately called the emergency vet and had them take her over there. She died a few hours later. According to the vet she inhaled the vomit back into her lungs because of how much she was heaving. Broke my heart and I have never wanted to hurt a family member as much as I did at that time.
This almost happened to me on Friday. My dog walker decided to take my 10 week old Bulldog puppy out to play fetch at the park at 3pm in 105F Texas heat. There was a freakin' heat advisory in effect even stating not to take your children outside. Well, I just so happened to leave work early on Friday and arrive towards the tail end of his visit. I walk in through the garage and the carpet on my ground floor is covered in diarrhea and vomit, while the stairs were covered in water. I run up the stairs only to be confronted by a nightmarish scene where my puppy is convulsing and vomiting pink foam while the walker is dousing him in cold water. I immediately knew what the idiot had done and grabbed my puppy, threw him in the car, and raced to the vet with my emergency blinkers on. Three vets simultaneously jumped on him as soon as I walked through the door. Initially they thought he had pneumonia because his lungs were filled with fluid and he could barely breathe, but after explaining the situation they realized he was suffering from non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema as a result of heatstroke. They gave him about a 50/50 chance of surviving and put him in an oxygen tank to help him breathe. Thankfully he stabilized by the morning and after a few days (and a $1400 vet bill) was able to come home.

I wouldn't be surprised if your dog perished for a similar reason. It may have not been heatstroke, but anything that blocks a bulldogs already small windpipe puts extreme pressure on their lungs, which over time can create permeability as they struggle to breathe, at which point fluid starts to build up making it even harder. So sorry for your loss, bulldogs are such friendly harmless lovable clowns..

Spent this morning raging at the dog walker company. Needless to say they are firing the walker and will reimburse the vet bills.. Fucking idiots..

rrr_img_42428.jpg

Hasto_sl

shitlord
This almost happened to me on Friday. My dog walker decided to take my 10 week old Bulldog puppy out to play fetch at the park at 3pm in 105F Texas heat. There was a freakin' heat advisory in effect even stating not to take your children outside. Well, I just so happened to leave work early on Friday and arrive towards the tail end of his visit. I walk in through the garage and the carpet on my ground floor is covered in diarrhea and vomit, while the stairs were covered in water. I run up the stairs only to be confronted by a nightmarish scene where my puppy is convulsing and vomiting pink foam while the walker is dousing him in cold water. I immediately knew what the idiot had done and grabbed my puppy, threw him in the car, and raced to the vet with my emergency blinkers on. Three vets simultaneously jumped on him as soon as I walked through the door. Initially they thought he had pneumonia because his lungs were filled with fluid and he could barely breathe, but after explaining the situation they realized he was suffering from non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema as a result of heatstroke. They gave him about a 50/50 chance of surviving and put him in an oxygen tank to help him breathe. Thankfully he stabilized by the morning and after a few days (and a $1400 vet bill) was able to come home.

I wouldn't be surprised if your dog perished for a similar reason. It may have not been heatstroke, but anything that blocks a bulldogs already small windpipe puts extreme pressure on their lungs, which over time can create permeability as they struggle to breathe, at which point fluid starts to build up making it even harder. So sorry for your loss, bulldogs are such friendly harmless lovable clowns..

Spent this morning raging at the dog walker company. Needless to say they are firing the walker and will reimburse the vet bills.. Fucking idiots..

rrr_img_42428.jpg
Yeah man. That is basically the same issue. She inhaled the vomit and it went back into her lungs. Basically she drowned.

But anyways, I still have my other dogs who are all trying to keep me happy. haha Come home everyday to lots of love from the 2 pups. And I may be able to pick up the blue boy this weekend.

Thanks for the condolences guys. Any of us that have lost one of our small family members knows the pain that goes with it. It's actually funny if you think about it. All of us on here are the first to rag on one another for any other situation. Wife/GF cheated on you? Your fault for being a douche and having a small penis. Cat/Dog/Animal dies and we all turn into a support group. Makes me smile.

edit: btw awesome pic of the pup. English bullies are such awesome companions.