Post Your Pet

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
New addition to the family. A good friend ended up inheriting two large dogs into a very small 2-bed condo (with a baby) and couldn't keep them both. We had previously dogsat for them and this 3-year old cream golden fit in great with my kids and dog. She's a rescue from a backyard breeder where she was probably abused, so we have a little work to do building her confidence up. Nothing serious, just some nervous habits about passing through doors and entering spaces. She's a total cuddlebug. As a bonus, she actually fetches. All I ever wanted growing up was a dog to fetch and my two previous lab mixes both flat refused to play.

On the downside, I'm probably vacuuming the house every other day for the next 10 years.

1691343009653.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 18Like
Reactions: 17 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
New addition to the family. A good friend ended up inheriting two large dogs into a very small 2-bed condo (with a baby) and couldn't keep them both. We had previously dogsat for them and this 3-year old cream golden fit in great with my kids and dog. She's a rescue from a backyard breeder where she was probably abused, so we have a little work to do building her confidence up. Nothing serious, just some nervous habits about passing through doors and entering spaces. She's a total cuddlebug. As a bonus, she actually fetches. All I ever wanted growing up was a dog to fetch and my two previous lab mixes both flat refused to play.

On the downside, I'm probably vacuuming the house every other day for the next 10 years.

View attachment 485578

Invest in a Roomba.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Invest in a Roomba.
invest in roomba shares. you'll burn a few !

love the golden breed though, they're just awesome. They are starting to be used as avalanche rescue dogs around the alps due to their endurance and great smell, they can last 2-3 hours on a site where other breeds get tired after half an hour.
What's her name ?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Well... There goes that idea. Unless I get one for the living/great room and one for the bedrooms.

If you're doing it more than once a week, should be NP.

I did it every day when it was just me and the dog living here, and it worked just fine. Still gotta hit it with the vacuum on the weekends, but at least I didn't have tumbleweeds of fur floating around.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Well... There goes that idea.

I just have mine return to base when full and finish cleaning when I get around to emptying it out. I have a Neato Botvac instead of a Roomba, though, which I like because they make a LIDAR map of the house and clean in a grid instead of the random walk Roombas use. This lets them pause and resume efficiently after bin empties and recharging. Plus I think my OCD couldn't take a Roomba bumping all over randomly like a moron.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I just have mine return to base when full and finish cleaning when I get around to emptying it out. I have a Neato Botvac instead of a Roomba, though, which I like because they make a LIDAR map of the house and clean in a grid instead of the random walk Roombas use. This lets them pause and resume efficiently after bin empties and recharging. Plus I think my OCD couldn't take a Roomba bumping all over randomly like a moron.

The Roomba is really only maddening if you sit down and watch it. It gets better over time on mapping the floor, so it bumps into stuff less later on.

But I think the underappreciated part is because of the weird pattern, it actually cleans the floor pretty well since it comes at it from different angles all the time.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have added robot vacuums to my list of shit to research.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
How well do robot vacuums work on carpet? Seems like a decent idea for hardwood, but I have a hard time imaging them being effective with those little bitch brushes with pet hair on a carpet. I am tempted to get one just to throw into the basement. The cats aren't allowed down there, so it's not exactly hairy, but we only go down there occasionally and it'd be nice to not have to lug the vacuum down there to clean up all the fucking dumbass bugs that crawl in there to die. Something that can just autorun every couple of days and pick that shit up would be nice.

Captain Suave

How well do robot vacuums work on carpet?

They're ok for maintenance but will never have the roller brush power or suction of a plug-in vac. I have hardwood floors with various low area rugs and I still need to hand vacuum once every week, week and a half or so. I have two 80 lbs dogs with double coats, though.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
How well do robot vacuums work on carpet? Seems like a decent idea for hardwood, but I have a hard time imaging them being effective with those little bitch brushes with pet hair on a carpet. I am tempted to get one just to throw into the basement. The cats aren't allowed down there, so it's not exactly hairy, but we only go down there occasionally and it'd be nice to not have to lug the vacuum down there to clean up all the fucking dumbass bugs that crawl in there to die. Something that can just autorun every couple of days and pick that shit up would be nice.
I have the Wyze LIDAR robot vac , we use it on a half carpet, half sheet flooring house weekly with a cat and my long haired wife and it does a good job. I mention long hair as the vac is usually half my wife's hair, half the cats. It usually takes 2 charges to do the house , it stops at 8% power and goes to recharge, then finishes when it's fully recharged. I clean the filter, brush , etc after every cleaning. Only time I've had issue is when we put some splinkly smelly shit my wife wanted on the carpet , looked like flour. That time it took 2 cleanings to get it all up and I'm guessing because it was so fine of a powder. Vac says it did 665 sq ft last week.

I insisted we get it when I had back surgery as my wife used a plug in vac, I did it to take some of the stress off of her since I would be unable to help around the house. We went from 'no I'm not using a robot' to the plug in vac is in our shed collecting dust. I highly recommend them.

EDIT: added a pic of the little demon in question.
20230807_153739.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>

Honestly, I don't have a problem. Carpet looks great, pulls up a lot of fur. Gets wrapped around the brush, but they give you a brush cleaner attachment so you're back in business in 20 seconds.

Maybe everyone else around here has higher standards than me. /Shrug.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Do the Roomba and a Roomba clones have enough space to do a house with adog without needing to be cleaned out in one sitting?
You can get a roomba which returns to base AND empties it's bin into the base, then goes back to work. We have one here. It works pretty well.

This wasn't the exact model, but one like this..

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Do the Roomba and a Roomba clones have enough space to do a house with adog without needing to be cleaned out in one sitting?
The Roomba with a base definitely does. We have three dogs, works great. You just buy a bunch of cheap Chinese replacement bags and change it out when it’s full. One bag lasts for 30ish cleans.

I would not recommend the manual empty once we tried the self empty kind. Manual empty would still be ok for small apartments but not a house.

• 1Like

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
You can get a roomba which returns to base AND empties it's bin into the base, then goes back to work. We have one here. It works pretty well.

This wasn't the exact model, but one like this..
A Roomba didn't last long with my pups or pup I should say. Hymir (see photos above), who is extremely intelligent and obedient and also extremely active. His reward center is playing catch and playing with a medicine ball. His favorite things in the world. But... Roomba... It moves by itself and every time it moves it's time for battle in his mind. So, we decided it's cheaper to not buy them anymore. He's an asshole 😂

• 1Worf