Post Your Pet

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Not really sure where to put this but just needed to bitch a bit. Husband came home and said he saw a black kitten near the retaining ponds on the way to our house. So I get the idea in my head and we go and get some food and try to catch it. We had it by one of the drains in a pile of rocks where it was hiding out. Got it to come out plenty of times with some nice stinky food. I got fairly close to it and, and I regret not trying, probably could have reached and grabbed it while it was eating, since it wasn’t the fastest kitten around. I didn’t want to miss and then lose all the trust, though. Kept giving it more food that it scarfed down but a bunch of yellow jackets kept coming due to the food and harassing the poor thing and we had to leave to go to a movie. Husband eventually said he was too tired for the movie, though, so we turned around and just went home. I went back out again and saw it twice again but the bees kept on flying in its ears and it would go back into hiding. Eventually wouldn’t come back out so I left my last thing of pate and went home.

I know it’s stupid but I feel like a failure and a bit of a jackass. I made us miss our movie, husband was all tired from standing there in the sun in the retaining pond with a shit load of bugs for over an hour and I wasn’t able to catch this poor kitten. Was so small and skinny, I feel horrible. We didn’t see any other kittens or a mother, so not sure if it was abandoned or not.

Stupid woman brain, I know, but had the hope of getting a kitten off the street and into our home, having a potential playmate for Arya, and trying to recapture a moment from my husband’s childhood when a black kitten showed up at his house around Halloween and they adopted it. But of course all that didn’t happen and now I just feel like shit.

Sorry for the dumb rant. I didn’t even snap a picture of the little baby. So here’s some more pictures of my foofs.

IMG_6999.jpeg
IMG_7014.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Took a couple of pictures this morning. It came out for a couple spoonfuls of tuna and then curled up and sat a few feet from me with eyes closed for a bit before a school bus scared it. I’m going to see if I can get a trap at Tractor Supply when it opens and try again with that. It’s not letting me get in range to grab yet, so maybe setting this with some food will work better.

IMG_7016.jpeg
IMG_7017.jpeg
IMG_7019.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Not really sure where to put this but just needed to bitch a bit. Husband came home and said he saw a black kitten near the retaining ponds on the way to our house. So I get the idea in my head and we go and get some food and try to catch it. We had it by one of the drains in a pile of rocks where it was hiding out. Got it to come out plenty of times with some nice stinky food. I got fairly close to it and, and I regret not trying, probably could have reached and grabbed it while it was eating, since it wasn’t the fastest kitten around. I didn’t want to miss and then lose all the trust, though. Kept giving it more food that it scarfed down but a bunch of yellow jackets kept coming due to the food and harassing the poor thing and we had to leave to go to a movie. Husband eventually said he was too tired for the movie, though, so we turned around and just went home. I went back out again and saw it twice again but the bees kept on flying in its ears and it would go back into hiding. Eventually wouldn’t come back out so I left my last thing of pate and went home.

I know it’s stupid but I feel like a failure and a bit of a jackass. I made us miss our movie, husband was all tired from standing there in the sun in the retaining pond with a shit load of bugs for over an hour and I wasn’t able to catch this poor kitten. Was so small and skinny, I feel horrible. We didn’t see any other kittens or a mother, so not sure if it was abandoned or not.

Stupid woman brain, I know, but had the hope of getting a kitten off the street and into our home, having a potential playmate for Arya, and trying to recapture a moment from my husband’s childhood when a black kitten showed up at his house around Halloween and they adopted it. But of course all that didn’t happen and now I just feel like shit.

Sorry for the dumb rant. I didn’t even snap a picture of the little baby. So here’s some more pictures of my foofs.

View attachment 493725View attachment 493726
This all just sounds like a good backstory in a few years for when you finally catch it and give it a good home. Good luck!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Well, I went and got a trap and went back to the drain. However, the kitty is no longer there.

Because that was the easiest trap ever apparently. I set it down, they went straight in. This is its home for now in the basement. Going to quarantine for now, get a vet appointment going, and then wait to make sure there’s nothing contagious and no FIV. If that’s all good then we’ll move upstairs to a confined area and start introductions with my other cats. I want to do things right this time.

IMG_7026.jpeg
IMG_7027.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 18Like
Reactions: 17 users

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Awwwwww. Really happy you got it!

*Showed my kid and she loved it.

Last edited:

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Went down and fed it dinner. Husband went in for some pets. It had hissed at him earlier in the day, but once it got the touch, it just wanted more and more affection. Started purring and even started mewing at the husband when he stopped petting. Was able to pick it up and do the ol’ check and looks like we have a boy. My guess since he’s weaned and has non-blue eyes probably puts him at 6-7 weeks I’d guess.

My god he is pure skin and bones though. Was a good little hunter, as we saw him catching crickets and other bugs to eat when we were trying to catch him. Hopefully will start to put some muscle on with the canned food. Just going to be careful not to over feed. Got some towels in the carrier downstairs, got his water dish and litter box. He already made a tiny poop!

Sadly couldn’t get a vet appointment until October 25th, but will make sure to call daily to see if someone cancels. A little concerned as Sansa is about due for her annual distemper vaccine and can’t get in for that until November 6th. Being as careful as we can going downstairs. Set aside some sandals to swap to down there, plenty of hand washing, disposable gloves if we’re going to handle him. He’s got a good appetite, we don’t see any missing patches of fur, the ears don’t look bitten, eyes look clear. Hoping no fleas, no distemper, and no ringworm but we’ll see once vet time comes. Both Sansa and Arya were fostered strays but they were already vaxed, fixed, disease free but the time we got them, so this is my first time doing kitten care like this. Hopefully don’t fuck it up and hopefully don’t drive myself crazy worrying about it all.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Got a nice breakfast and more snuggles and bonks this morning. Added another towel to the carrier to make sure he’s staying warm. Tried to see if he wanted to play with a little string toy and while he had radar lock on it, didn’t seem to want to try to go for it yet. He still definitely wants to explore outside the big crate; keeps trying to march right on out.

We’re trying to make sure to pick him up at least once a visit to get him used to it. Husband felt around him a bit and feels like he has a bump on one side. Not sure if one of the bees maybe stung him the other day or if it’s something else. I did see the Tractor Supply is having a vet clinic on the 15th, so I’ll try to bring him there if we can’t get a sooner official vet appointment. He’s so small and I’m just worried he needs extra formula or something else for his weight. Next time we go down, I’ll bring my small scale to try and get a weight. Sounds like around his age (I’m guessing) he should be getting close to 2 lbs, but I have no idea if he’s anywhere near that.

Otherwise, I think things are going well? He’s very alert, mobile, though his voice seems a little weak, but has a good appetite, doesn’t seem to have any noticeable injuries or movement problems (other than that little bump). Didn’t see anything weird in his poop when I cleaned the box last night.

In other kitty news, Sansa has been having what seems like feline acne on her chin lately. Washed her up a bit, did extra washing duty on her bowls and the fountain. It was getting better but looks like it came back today. Kind of frustrating. I hope it isn’t bothering her, but going to give her another wash and hopefully help clear it up.

Arya unfortunately has FIC and had another flare up last week. Thankfully this one seemed to pass without any bloody urine and only was there for a couple days. Always makes me worry, though. And hopefully having the kitty around doesn’t cause her a lot of stress and cause another flare up.

Oh, and the kitty was named Kit Kat. Little chocolate boy, around Halloween, so candy, and Kit Harrington played Jon Snow, so we can indirectly keep with the GoT pet name theme.

IMG_7035.jpeg
IMG_7036.jpeg
IMG_7043.jpeg
IMG_7041.jpeg

• 13Like
Reactions: 12 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Alright, I promise I’ll slow down farming reacts after this, but goddamn. This boy loves his daddy. Goes cuddling right into hubby’s arms now when he comes out of his carrier. Look at this face.

IMG_7046.jpeg

• 18Like
Reactions: 17 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Alright, I promise I’ll slow down farming reacts after this, but goddamn. This boy loves his daddy. Goes cuddling right into hubby’s arms now when he comes out of his carrier. Look at this face.

View attachment 494036
See? Doesn’t look like a man who gives a shit about missing a movie a few days ago.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Took my iPad down with me and just sat next to the crate just to give him some company while I watched OPL. Husband came down too, so we got in some play time and Kit came and watched some TV with me for a little bit.

IMG_7056.jpeg

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

Molten Core Raider
This little guy is the feline embodiment of 'right place, right time'. Crazy to see the changes in him in just a few days.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ya, he is a skinny boy, but good on you for taking him in. Get some food in him and get him to start playing to exercise and learn to hunt, and he'll be a great cat. The best cats and dogs I've ever had were all the wild ones I spent the time on to domesticate. They seem to appreciate it more because they saw the other side of a hard life.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Took my iPad down with me and just sat next to the crate just to give him some company while I watched OPL. Husband came down too, so we got in some play time and Kit came and watched some TV with me for a little bit.

View attachment 494072
Omg don’t raise him on local armed robbery news he’s going to hate humans even more than a normal cat.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The best cats and dogs I've ever had were all the wild ones I spent the time on to domesticate. They seem to appreciate it more because they saw the other side of a hard life.
Also true in my experience. These ones also seem to end up way smarter.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Ya, he is a skinny boy, but good on you for taking him in. Get some food in him and get him to start playing to exercise and learn to hunt, and he'll be a great cat. The best cats and dogs I've ever had were all the wild ones I spent the time on to domesticate. They seem to appreciate it more because they saw the other side of a hard life.

Sorry for the picture-less update; didn't take my phone down with me this morning. Came to give breakfast and saw a nice little poop in his box. We're feeding him 3-4 meals a day so far, just so we don't upset his stomach, but my god, he is ravenous when eating. Afterwards, he came out of his crate and bounced around between us and we got some playtime in with the little worm on the string. Been doing a lot of gentle picking up as well, and just feeling his toes so he can get used to be picked up and having paws touched for when he needs those trimmed eventually. He even got to ride around on daddy's shoulder for a bit. He was extremely energetic this morning and for the first time, he did not at all want to go back in his crate for a nap after about an hour or so of hanging with us and jumping and goobing around. His voice is getting stronger as well; could barely hear it yesterday, but he's getting to be a noisy boy today. Could feel his ribs and spine just a little less, but his pelvis and shoulders are still very sharp, but he seems to be improving. I will feel a lot better once he gets in for a vet check up. Just hoping he doesn't have some kind of worm or something that's going to sap his nutrition until we can get him dewormed.

Oh, he did take another big, adorable poop for us while we were down there as well. Was super cute just bounding over to his box, lol (I know, I'm weird).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Sorry for the picture-less update; didn't take my phone down with me this morning. Came to give breakfast and saw a nice little poop in his box. We're feeding him 3-4 meals a day so far, just so we don't upset his stomach, but my god, he is ravenous when eating. Afterwards, he came out of his crate and bounced around between us and we got some playtime in with the little worm on the string. Been doing a lot of gentle picking up as well, and just feeling his toes so he can get used to be picked up and having paws touched for when he needs those trimmed eventually. He even got to ride around on daddy's shoulder for a bit. He was extremely energetic this morning and for the first time, he did not at all want to go back in his crate for a nap after about an hour or so of hanging with us and jumping and goobing around. His voice is getting stronger as well; could barely hear it yesterday, but he's getting to be a noisy boy today. Could feel his ribs and spine just a little less, but his pelvis and shoulders are still very sharp, but he seems to be improving. I will feel a lot better once he gets in for a vet check up. Just hoping he doesn't have some kind of worm or something that's going to sap his nutrition until we can get him dewormed.

Oh, he did take another big, adorable poop for us while we were down there as well. Was super cute just bounding over to his box, lol (I know, I'm weird).
You tried calling around to other vets? I know some people have hardcore loyalty to their vet when they find a good one but for this initial checkup it may be worth calling around to get it going sooner.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
You tried calling around to other vets? I know some people have hardcore loyalty to their vet when they find a good one but for this initial checkup it may be worth calling around to get it going sooner.

I tried calling the local humane society to see if they had any resources for this kind of visit. There is another vet that I used once around here when mine wasn’t available, but I’ll be honest, I was not a fan of the place what-so-ever. I am calling my vet daily to see if any cancellations happen, though, but at least for right now it looks like the 15th is the earliest I can get in to that clinic at the Tractor Supply. I’ll keep looking around, though.