Post Your Pet

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Thanks man.

I don't really know how to grieve without a dog. She was there for all the major losses in my life the past few years. She made everything better. I guess all I really have is this thread. I reached out to an old therapist because man, this year has been a fucking lot. Best friend dying, okay, that sucks. Buddy offing himself right after, jeez, that's rough, but I was starting to get thru it. This though...I just don't fucking know. All of the shit you take for granted. Like, I've been carrying Zel up the stairs for the past 6 months or so because her hips just couldn't drive her up them anymore. GF came down to make sure I came to bed at a reasonable time, I turned off the light and followed her up and then had this split second thing where I was like "oh shit, gotta get the dog." Fuck. Or when my GF locked the back sliding door before she went up. Any time you so much as touched that door, Zelda would wake up from a fucking dead sleep on a different floor of the house and be down and out the door before you could even get a foot out. She hated being outside alone, but anytime anyone else was out there? I dunno if she felt the outside world was too dangerous for us to go alone, and we needed to take her, true to her namesake

takethis.png

Or if she just didn't want to miss out on the possibility of adventure, but whatever it was, she was there, every time. Side note, if any of you fuckers are good at Photoshop and wanna slap the dog into that, go right ahead.

They deserve some recognition, so I'll post them here.

When I checked, they had a perfect 5 star rating on Google. Every single person I spoke to with that company was in near tears and handled me very gently. I was actually fine and clear headed when all of those conversations started, but it's really hard to maintain that composure when someone else you don't even know is broken up for you because they know exactly what you're going thru. The only thing that gave me any pause at all was they required everyone to wear masks if it was going to take place indoors. I absolutely refuse to wear a mask in my own house, and there was no way I was gonna have that be my dog's last memory. But, they had no such stipulations for outdoors, which while I personally feel it's ridiculous, was a fair compromise. We bought some string lights and landscape lights and lit up a corner of the yard for her and it ended up being pretty good, sheltered from the wind a little, and it was a great send off for her. If you guys have something like this in your state, wholeheartedly recommend.

IMG_20231108_214515157.jpg

Now my biggest problem is that I don't wanna get a puppy in the winter. Training would be an absolute bitch. Spring can't come fast enough.

Sorry for turning this thread into the waterworks guys. But thank you for letting me do this. I don't have a lot of outlets left for saying this kinda shit. We'll end on a majestic high note. What a great dog.

IMG_20231109_155631089_HDR.jpg

• 11Solidarity
  • 7Like
Reactions: 17 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
This was pretty good. I mean, I don't have anything to compare it to. Last dog I lost like this, I was about 10, and she had a stroke, so she hobbled into the house on her elbows, couldn't stand up straight. Parents took her into the vet, I didn't go with. The other dog died after I moved out, think she just up and croaked one day.

Zel and I spent the whole day outside. About 40 degrees, windy as shit. Cold as fuck with all that. Perfect for her. She had a blast. We laid in a leaf pile for like 2 hours and watched the sunset, while I pulled cheese cubes outta every pocket I had. She started to get suspicious around cube 4, because I was nowhere near where cheese comes from. Goddamn she was a smart dog. When the vet called me to tell me she was on the way, she was crying. That's kinda how I knew things were gonna go okay. I asked her if she just did this shit for extra cash after hours, and she said no, it's her entire job. Just drives around and does this all day. I asked how she ended up like that, she said she was a vet at a practice for 13 years, and then realized how important this kind of work is. I gotta agree with her. Even though it sounds kinda psycho to just literally drive around and kill dogs all day, she isn't unaffected by the work, she just does it because it does a tremendous service for situations like mine. She said 5-15 minutes after the first injection to fall asleep. Took about 45 seconds. It's like she finally realized she didn't have to be on watch anymore.

We talked afterwards for awhile, and it really was the best thing. Dogs with 4 legs and good hips don't do good on snow and ice, and I'm just saving her the pain of another winter. It's just hard to let such an amazing animal go. I don't know how I would have made it thru my divorce without her. She died in her own yard, on her own bed, wrapped in her own blanket, being hugged by everyone that loved her.

My oldest fucked around and found out, though. I told her exactly when the appt was 4 days ago. She's been hiding in her room ever since, and came out as we were bagging up the dog beds (They're all covered in piss from the various leakage accidents over the last few months), looked absolutely shocked, then ran back to her room and locked herself in there. Well, you're learning an important lesson here - you can't avoid death. It comes for us all. And exactly zero people have ever said "boy, I really regret spending so much time with X before they died." Now she gets to live with that.

I'm glad I don't.

When she finally laid her head down, I had seen that look before. It was hanging off the bed, between her paws. She did the same thing the very first day I got her. She was exhausted from overstimulation and new environment and feeling me out and her little puppy body couldn't handle it, so she just fell asleep. She left my life like she came in. I'll never look at this picture the same way again.

View attachment 499750
Who opened the bag o' onions?

You ask 10 billion people if they prefer to die in their own house, with people that love them or not and see if *anyone* answers no. I know I'll be in that long ass line.
You did good bro, you did real good.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The girlfriend snapped this the other night. This is Hymir. He sleeps like this because I have chronic nightmares (suffer from CPTSD) I'll wake up in the middle of the night in cold sweats, heart racing, sometimes yelling. He'll lay on my chest and keep me from throwing myself out of bed and will calm me down. Note: he's not a support dog. He started doing that on his own when he was a puppy. Big enough to still fit on the window sill where he used to sleep when he was tiny.
20231119_222446.jpg

• 13Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Got this in the mail the other day. Considering the specifics included in such things, it's a nice gesture that this is hand written, and was actually written by someone who took 5 minutes to do it, instead of just being a form letter thing.

Can't recommend this company enough. I guess there's a reason why they have a perfect 5 star rating on Google.
IMG_20231121_053639949-1.jpg

• 6Like
  • 5Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Got this in the mail the other day. Considering the specifics included in such things, it's a nice gesture that this is hand written, and was actually written by someone who took 5 minutes to do it, instead of just being a form letter thing.

Can't recommend this company enough. I guess there's a reason why they have a perfect 5 star rating on Google.View attachment 501423
who opened the bag o' onions over here?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Molten Core Raider
My girlfriend loves my fuzzy sherpa blankets, so I bought her one but this thing has triggered some primal longing in her savannah cat. This guy spends almost every moment in, under, or on this blanket and gets visibly antsy if he cant get to it for some reason (if it's in the laundry, etc). Clearly his blanket now.

371481562_1679874645867084_7063643822188980298_n.jpg
400266682_314182861562947_206238323836825787_n.jpg

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
While I enjoy this thread, I also hate it at the same time. It's like a Schrodinger's thread where it isn't until I open it that I know the cat, dog, donkey, cow, horse, or whatever is either alive or dead.

Sorry for the loss Cutlery. You've had a shit year for sure.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
While I enjoy this thread, I also hate it at the same time. It's like a Schrodinger's thread where it isn't until I open it that I know the cat, dog, donkey, cow, horse, or whatever is either alive or dead.

Sorry for the loss Cutlery. You've had a shit year for sure.

Actually I have the same problem....someone finally checks this thread, I get a bunch of reaction notifications and then I see it was for the post your pet thread, and then I remember why I have posts in there.

Whole thing fucking sucks. After Andrew died, I didn't wanna be at work. We worked together for a few years, and stayed friends after he quit. It was really hard coming in every day because that's all I thought of, for awhile. Got so bad where I'm actually in a bit of financial trouble (I mean, I'm not racking up CC debt or anything, I just mean I'm not as far ahead as I want to be) because I don't wanna be there, so I'm not working any OT.

Now, I don't wanna be at home. It's fucking awful. Who the fuck rinses out yogurt cups? I haven't in 13 years. I grill 6lbs of chicken a week for lunches, and I would feed her the fat and scraps right off the cutting board. Now, right into the trash. Every time I opened a frozen pizza and there were little cheese shreds, id feed them to her one at a time. I haven't had to vacuum in 2 weeks. There's literally no part of being at home that doesn't remind that my best friend is gone. I've had 3 best friends die this year, one after another.

My girlfriend actually said last night that she's starting to get a little concerned that she's gonna die next, because of how much I've just been enveloped by death this year. I can't say I fucking blame her.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Man, Chewy sure shit the bed. They sent me an auto refill notice a week after Zel died for her prescriptions, and I canceled it with a dropdown menu selection that said "pet is deceased."

They sent me a form letter condolence email within a day or so and then said that all of my autoships related to her were canceled.

I got a letter in the mail from them yesterday with a card in it. Front of it said "Happy birthday, here's a discount code" and I thought "What the fuck, thanks, assholes, my birthday was 2 months ago" and then I opened it up and it was for Zel, who was born in January.

You fuckin shitbags.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Don’t talk to me or my son ever again.

IMG_7418.jpeg

I am a little sad that it seems Bruce has completely lost his cute tabby stripes as his new coat grew in. Still adorable, though, but damn he’s getting big. I also apparently need to get a second window perch, since these two are always trying to claim it and then ending up smushed together like this.

IMG_7417.jpeg

• 13Like
Reactions: 12 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Didn't see if this had been posted before, and wasn't sure if this is the right place but:

If this works out I'll be almost 80 when my cat dies. Although a Maine coon did recently live to 31 anyway....

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user