Power Tools

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll just drop this here:
I bought a cheap little black and decker trimmer/weed eater 4-5 years ago and the battery is starting to die. Rather than go out and buy a new battery (which probably costs as much as a new trimmer) I'm thinking I need to get a new trimmer anyways as this one wasn't really even getting the job done even when new. It just does not have the power to cut through my thick, viney st aug grass. So the question is should I just go with gas or are the new lithium battery powered tools also more powerful?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lithium is like infinity better than nicad so if you're still a pussy bitch you might try a new electric rig, def do not get a new nicad battery

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, fuck NiCad. A lithium one will be *much* better both with regard to power and to charge time/run time. Do you have any other cordless power tools? Makita at least makes some nice trimmers that work with their lithium batteries that go with their cordless drills and shit. I have the 18V single battery model and it works fine but I hear that the2-battery 36 volt modelis really badass. I think DeWalt has a trimmer too if you're in that camp instead. IMO you're not giving up that much vs. gas powered these days and they are so much quieter and their carburetors don't get gummed up and shit. If you have a small yard even the corded electrics aren't that bad once you get used to dragging a cord around. Gas is nice when it works but nothing is more frustrating than when that little engine won't start for whatever reason.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
What Picasso said. NiCad's are mostly being phased out and they're inferior anyways.

You should go with the gas for power, however. No battery-powered tool can compare to the strength of fuel.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cool, I think I may just stay an electric pussy bitch then. My yard isn't very big, which is why I got a cheap/small one to begin with. Even if its only just slightly more powerful that'll do.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My neighbor got a 40v and said it does the job but he'd def reconsider the 80v if he had to do it over again because sometimes he has to wait for a recharge of about an hour.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have a li-ion (20v or 40v, can't remember) black and decker trimmer and it's ok. If you put it on the high power setting it lasts for 45 minutes to an hour of pretty constant use. It's not the greatest thing ever, but it cuts through everything well enough.

Had it 2 years and bought 3 extra spools of line for when it runs out and I still havent run out on the original line. In fact I opened it up and it barely looks like I used any.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm looking to buy a less than $200 reliable lawnmower, with bag or bag option

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck you spend 350 and get a honda
My Honda is going on 10 years and I have a neighbor who's handy who got his old Honda mower from his dad, it's like 30 years old. Both start in 1-2 pull every time. One of those things that might be worth the money.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Honda small engines are totally bulletproof. I have 5 or 6 of them and they all start every time even though I'm not too careful on maintenance. That said, I have 3 or 4 Briggs and Strattons as well and they are also very reliable.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Need a power drill. Putting up pictures and stuff in the new appartment. What do I get?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If you're just going to put up a few pictures it doesn't matter, just get some POS from Harbor Freight for $20. If you think you might actually use it regularly in the future it seems like most construction guys are saying that Makita is the best right now but they are also the most expensive of the big brands.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
If you're just going to put up a few pictures it doesn't matter, just get some POS from Harbor Freight for $20. If you think you might actually use it regularly in the future it seems like most construction guys are saying that Makita is the best right now but they are also the most expensive of the big brands.
What he said. Makita is used by a lot of professional workers, of any kind. We had a new roof built, they brought their Makitas. The electrician? Brings his Makita tools. Guy doing the plumbing? Makita.

When I did the attic I was going to buy a Makita too but ended up with a Kress. Fucking thing almost broke my wrist a few weeks ago when I put up the playtower for our kids.