Prescription Glasses

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Any you fella's order your own cheaper prescription glasses online? I just can't handle getting the 200-400 dollar rip off pairs at cosco or the eye places anymore, I go through em and scratch em (even the fancy no scratch ones) too quick. If I can get iphone style unscratchable glass glasses, i'd pay a premium, but until then i'm going to start buying cheap prescription glasses in bulk. Problem is I just don't trust search rankings anymore.

Anyone got some trusted sites they order their prescription glasses from?

thanks

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm personally blessed with perfect vision but most of my family gets their glasses from Zenni optical. The frames look a little plastic-y to me but for $20-40 a pair you can afford to scratch them pretty quickly compared to what they cost some other places.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I bought my last glasses from Warby Parker, and I would definitely recommend. You get to pick 5 different frames which they ship to allow you to see and try on and then send back. I have pretty bad eyes, so I opted for the "thin" lenses option, and it still only ran me like $125. Insurance paid me back $100, so it was $25 out of pocket for a nice new pair of glasses. Quality was good, and I definitely would use them again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I got my last glasses and sunglasses from Zenni. Will buy from again when I need new ones. I ordered 3 pairs of glasses, one which I wear daily, a decent backup (they were supposed to be red but are more pink than red so I probably won’t ever wear them), and a cheap one just in case. Also the sunglasses. Total was about $160. Main set of eyeglasses are good, sunglasses are good as well.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I was getting my shit done at Pearle? I think it was called? Before this, it used to be called DOC or something like this, but I guess Pearle bought them out. Anyway, it was always buy one (At super inflated prices) and get a second free, plus free exam. It always worked out around $300-$400 or so for 2 pair (glasses and/or contacts) with quality name brand (made in china) frames.

From like the age of 16 or so I always just wore contacts. 25 yrs of nothing but contacts. But I abused them, I wore those daily wear for 20+ days straight, even sleeping in them and it caught up to me. The doc told me that I should stop wearing them if I dont want perm damage. So I did and now sport glasses 100%.

Just the past like 2 yrs or so I started to notice that I could not see up close anymore with my glasses on. (Im nearsighted) So now I have to take the glasses off to see up close, lol. Fucking old age man.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I just get my lenses locally. I bought a really expensive frame about 10 years ago and I have it cleaned and tuned every so often. Still going strong. It's so light I don't want to replace it. Weighs almost nothing, made out of titanium. I'm sure one day it will give up the ghost. Have a clear set and a tinted set for driving in the sun, same frame for both.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm personally blessed with perfect vision but most of my family gets their glasses from Zenni optical. The frames look a little plastic-y to me but for $20-40 a pair you can afford to scratch them pretty quickly compared to what they cost some other places.

I bought my last glasses from Warby Parker, and I would definitely recommend. You get to pick 5 different frames which they ship to allow you to see and try on and then send back. I have pretty bad eyes, so I opted for the "thin" lenses option, and it still only ran me like $125. Insurance paid me back $100, so it was $25 out of pocket for a nice new pair of glasses. Quality was good, and I definitely would use them again.

I got my last glasses and sunglasses from Zenni. Will buy from again when I need new ones. I ordered 3 pairs of glasses, one which I wear daily, a decent backup (they were supposed to be red but are more pink than red so I probably won’t ever wear them), and a cheap one just in case. Also the sunglasses. Total was about $160. Main set of eyeglasses are good, sunglasses are good as well.

I'll check all this out thanks guys

I just get my lenses locally. I bought a really expensive frame about 10 years ago and I have it cleaned and tuned every so often. Still going strong. It's so light I don't want to replace it. Weighs almost nothing, made out of titanium. I'm sure one day it will give up the ghost. Have a clear set and a tinted set for driving in the sun, same frame for both.

I'm hard on my glasses and can't make it more than a few months w/o getting major scratches (even when I get the most expensive lens options), that I just deal with for like a year till I get new glasses. I want a nice pair or two for travel and wearing out with the wife, but I need to order like 4-5 pair of 30-50 frames/lenses that I can beat up and toss when I get that inevitable scratch. Sounds like zenni is where i'll start to look for those cheaper pairs.

thanks again for the options

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
sounds like zenni is you get what you order sight unseen. with Warby Parker you get to actually see the frames you're interested in and try them on before ordering. I know which one I'd rather try

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I bang my glasses pretty bad. Drop them all the time onto stuff including the hard floor. As long as I don't step on them they come out ok. I'm not sure but my theory is the lighter they are the less damage they take from falling. If you put mine on your hand you can't really feel a weight. I've had really heavy glasses in the past and they took more damage, of course being heavier they fell off more as well.

I'm someone that really doesn't worry about looks a lot but it would be real hard for me to order a pair of glasses without seeing how they look on me and how they feel. Maybe just me, lots of people ordering glasses nowdays.

I've never looked at them before. I looked them up and they have really dropped in price and listed as flexible for "rough and tumble".

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
sounds like zenni is you get what you order sight unseen. with Warby Parker you get to actually see the frames you're interested in and try them on before ordering. I know which one I'd rather try

Zenni has this virtual try on thing where you take a selfie video and it shows you how the glasses look on your face. Warby sounds nice though.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Zenni has this virtual try on thing where you take a selfie video and it shows you how the glasses look on your face. Warby sounds nice though.

I could give a fuck how my everyday glasses look on me. Ill def try warby too for my walking around glasses, prices are still good. The eye places around here have insane frame/lense prices

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another vote for Warby Parker here. Price and quality are both great. I have both glasses and sunglasses from there and I have no complaints.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Wife bought some from Zenni and they were extremely cheap, both looking and quality (could have been just the ones she bought specifically)

Then she bought a few pairs from Warby Parker and they look more expensive than they were and seem to be pretty well built.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I bought cheapo's from zenni to test out, will see in 20 days or so, I dont care if they look and feel cheap as long as they can make it 6 months w/o breaks or scratches (scratches will mostly be on me), and they are fairly comfy.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Warby Parker will replace lenses for free within the 1st year

that's intriguing, have you used it? I wonder if they make it painful or take a long time with shipping to deter people from using it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
When I was looking in to them Zenni didn’t accept VSP, not sure about Warby. Has that changed to where insurance is pretty good about covering these online guys?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
that's intriguing, have you used it? I wonder if they make it painful or take a long time with shipping to deter people from using it.

yes I used it on both my glasses and sunglasses. Glasses was a pain obviously but I still had my last pair to wear in the meantime.

If I remember correctly I dropped them off on a Saturday and I had them back the next Saturday. They shipped directly to my house too.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I was looking in to them Zenni didn’t accept VSP, not sure about Warby. Has that changed to where insurance is pretty good about covering these online guys?

We have Aetna vision I think? I had to submit for reimbursement but I got whatever my out of network allowance was ($95 or something so the glasses were pretty much covered since I think that’s the Warby Parker basic cost)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I've ordered a dozen frames from Zenni, and have had about a 50% success rate. My vision is pretty shit, so I get the maximum thinness to avoid as much weight on them as possible. As far as size and styling, I know around the mm length and width that fits my face, so every pair I've bought has "fit", it's just that certain styles don't work with my prescription.

Couple examples - these "sporty" sunglass style had a curved lens and with prescription made everything fucked up. I have no idea why they offered rx as an option with that style. Second example is the wire frames - they never bend back to have the lenses line up perfectly on my face, so it impedes my vision.

As far as build quality, if you get the $20-25 frames, especially plastic (which I tend to do because they're lighter), they're gonna be mostly cheap feeling. Every $50+ pair has been solid, even the plastic ones. Most of the pairs I've gotten have been between $100-125, the most thin lens, antiglare, oliophobic layer, which means the less themselves are $75-80.

As far as scratching, I've only ever done that to one pair, and it was because I'd set them on the side of a pool and stepped on them getting out when I was too drunk to realize what I was doing.

They do offer a safety glass option, which doesn't scratch nearly as easily, and when it does it isn't as blatantly obvious. I only know this because I know someone who had to use that option for their job.

If your glasses are falling off your face, it sounds like they're a) too heavy, b) too wide, c) screws are loose, d) frames are too big in general. My large lens frames give me the best vision, but fuck them things are always sliding down my face. Skinny frame with rubber earpieces also stick to your face better.

Last thing, I was able to use my HSA to buy mine, so I spent like $1200 to keep my HSA from capping out before the year ended. Never need to spend it on actually medical shit, so why not. I'm sure I could even get reimbursed $100 every two years by my VSP but that's not worth the effort. It's like pennies out of my check for the insurance and I just use it for the eye appointment to make sure I don't have eye cancer or whatever.