Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Go shaman. You guys would be unstoppable with slow / haste / buffs / cripple / torpor.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
My friends have really been enjoying it. We tend to be adding another person everyday who gets interested because it's all our fb chat has turned into. Everyone other than me has either never played everquest or hasn't played since SoL, so it's been quite the adventure so far. We've been going at it pretty hardcore too. We're between level 13-15, which I'd say really isn't bad considering the circumstances and only starting on Saturday morning. Most of these guys have played mmorpgs before and they've pretty much collectively decided this is the most fun they've had in a while. They laugh at some of the mechanics, rightfully so though. Other than that, it's been pretty awesome.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Good to know. We are about 10 right now. We're going pretty slow... 2 of the guys i'm playing with haven't played since 2002 and one has never played eq, so deaths are happening lol. We're in crushbone right now, but will probably head to ec soon.
If they fixed Unrest, it's a great spot for small groups up to the high 20s. If they didn't, you can get to 15/16 on yard trash and then leave.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Stupid question, but you can run P99 in addition to playing the live/test servers? I know it requires Titanium, so do you just install a separate folder of that? Will it overwrite anything in live EQ?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah, you can do both.

i had like 5 different EQ installs on a single computer at one point

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'd like some opinions on the best duo for starting fresh on the server. Factors to consider are leveling efficiency, strength at upper levels, and ability to be effective both outdoors and in dungeons.

Was considering necro/chanter or druid/chanter. Druid/chanter may be weak in a dungeon setting though. Open to other combo ideas too.

I'm going to have to work my way up with gear, so keep this in mind. For example, monk/shaman seems like a great combo, but it's actually pretty shitty to the point of almost unmanageable for the low levels without any gear.

Edit: Thought I would add that I'm starting with a friend. I only mention this because some duos are easier to box than others, but boxing won't be a concern here.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Hmm, can't decide on a class. Thinking either Rogue, Cleric, or Enchanter. How tough is it to find low level groups as a rogue?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I'd like some opinions on the best duo for starting fresh on the server. Factors to consider are leveling efficiency, strength at upper levels, and ability to be effective both outdoors and in dungeons.

Was considering necro/chanter or druid/chanter. Druid/chanter may be weak in a dungeon setting though. Open to other combo ideas too.

I'm going to have to work my way up with gear, so keep this in mind. For example, monk/shaman seems like a great combo, but it's actually pretty shitty to the point of almost unmanageable for the low levels without any gear.

Edit: Thought I would add that I'm starting with a friend. I only mention this because some duos are easier to box than others, but boxing won't be a concern here.
In the long run, Monk/Shaman or Shaman/Enchanter.

Monk/Shaman is a bit weak to start off with since the Shaman sucks balls without gear until 34.

Roxby

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a group starting on P1999, we've all played EQ live. Started a cleric, warrior, enchanter, and rogue. We are all under level 10 atm. If anyone wants to group with us, or help us out send me a PM =)

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Rolled an enchanter. Haven't decided on enchanter or cleric as a main yet though. Let me know if anyone wants to group! Gotta make money for spells first though =p

klepp0906_sl

shitlord
And still, despite the wealth of raid content in Velious, one guild will claim every single bit of it and cockblock the other 95% of the server from the endgame for years to come. Business as usual. If P99 has one big failing, it's that they've done nothing to emulate the fact that Everquest had two dozen servers to choose from and to dilute the poopsocking nolifers a little.
That's how real mmos are played son. You either get In said guild, or create/join a guild and compete for said spawn. Or start a calendar.

The grown ups don't play with instances.

klepp0906_sl

shitlord
You cant blame p99 handlers for that fact the "classic" eq community is is literally divided into only two camps;

Neck bearded basement dwelling downies who will do anything they can to make sure they have all the loot in a nearly 15 year old game

Casuals who just want to experience some nostalgia.

No matter what changes they make or how many servers are released, the neck beards will be there. You cant do anything when there are people out there who for whatever reason will spend 100+ hours a week locking down content.
I love this mentality. Ironically I wouldn't doubt im thoroughly more aloft life-wise than you/most and yet I get the lions share of my enjoyment from mmos by conquering end game content and the loot that comes with it.

If you loathe said individuals, then your obviously from the other camp. If so then why do you care? You either don't or you must have a "neck beard" ...

Either way.. That's a sad sad excuse that came around with the wow generation used to try and justify their shortcomings or refusal to rise to the challenge. Cry more.

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I love this mentality. Ironically I wouldn't doubt im thoroughly more aloft life-wise than you/most and yet I get the lions share of my enjoyment from mmos by conquering end game content and the loot that comes with it.

If you loathe said individuals, then your obviously from the other camp. If so then why do you care? You either don't or you must have a "neck beard" ...

Either way.. That's a sad sad excuse that came around with the wow generation used to try and justify their shortcomings or refusal to rise to the challenge. Cry more.
Agreed. I love this argument. My RL best friend and I both started playing EQ in 2000, when we were high school sophomores. We were in the top guild on E'ci - Reconstructed, raiding big bad dragons, yet meanwhile we somehow both were able to continue with football in the fall and wrestling in the spring. We both had an active social life, doing normal high school kid crap. In college I continued to wrestle, dedicating more time than ever to training, yet somehow I started leading a guild on an Emu server that was a great success for years afterwards.

I'm not gonna continue on, I'm sure the picture I'm trying to paint is getting across at this point. Just because some folks do not understand how to be efficient with their time doesn't mean everyone ends up in the same boat. Time management folks, time management.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
High 50s mage and a low 50s sk for sale on p99.

Chars have some raid gear & solid droppables. Chars have been inactive for over 6 months, were always low profile. Full info will be provided, I have good references
smile.png

PM if interested.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Agreed. I love this argument. My RL best friend and I both started playing EQ in 2000, when we were high school sophomores. We were in the top guild on E'ci - Reconstructed, raiding big bad dragons, yet meanwhile we somehow both were able to continue with football in the fall and wrestling in the spring. We both had an active social life, doing normal high school kid crap. In college I continued to wrestle, dedicating more time than ever to training, yet somehow I started leading a guild on an Emu server that was a great success for years afterwards.

I'm not gonna continue on, I'm sure the picture I'm trying to paint is getting across at this point. Just because some folks do not understand how to be efficient with their time doesn't mean everyone ends up in the same boat. Time management folks, time management.
Also, this. Most of the TMO leadership is super fucking busy and well accomplished individuals. I'm not one of them, but I digress :p You'd be surprised how little time investment there is on p99 -- or was, anyway, until the last few months. Fucking FTE spamming.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
If anyone has a power level account they looking to move pm me. Hell I'd even rent it from you.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
If anyone has a power level account they looking to move pm me. Hell I'd even rent it from you.
Interestingly enough, the best power leveler I saw was a Monk. You seem like you've been around here a while. Half this board have 60s on P99, so PM someone you know.

Veer away from RMT or paying cash for leveling as I think they keep an eye out for that.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unrest is fine now. No more rooftop parties, lol.
it was just a partial fix. Roamers still warp through floors. Skeletal monks popping into MR is a bit too much for an ~18ish group.

It is still almost impossible to pull bar without training knight, or to even pull the roamer on the staircase. Unrest is basically just good for a mid 20s group camping FP, because they can deal with sudden monk adds, and basement groups.
However, people rather go to MM because Pond / GY offers enough stuff for two groups in the FP level area and low 30s groups even have four different camps to do in MM.