Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Flattop

Trakanon Raider
Been playing again. 60 Wiz (Krolo) 55 SK (Rhodok). Been mainly working on the greenmist quest for SK atm but hit me up for whatever the fuck (help ports chat etc)!

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Hows the leveling experience? Are most of the mobs still dead? ;)

Having a grand time. Will be looting a mithril torque and mask for the SK later.

Got everything for rogue mask in one sky run.

DMO took over FBSS camp.

Good day here.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Feels good having the old UI after all these years. Well, it's close to perfect at least!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
need to make it required and forced until Velious
1601821648084.png

This is from my 1999 EQ instruction booklet.

• 1WTF
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never used sense heading. Never really understood LoC either. Just memorized all zones and routes

Stupid maps on tlp seem to kill the old memory somehow i noticed.

• 1Imbecile

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not every zone. But i at least knew a path how to get from point a to b in 90% of them. Yes some of that was following zonewall. But im guessing there were alot of people like me that never used maps.

Really so long as you know your location, and know where your going its not hard once youve been to a place.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
To be fair most zones in classic EQ are big squares where you ran along the zone walls or dungeons with like two routes.

Sure, but that all went out the window with Kunark, which was long before in game maps. I had the zone maps fairly well memorized just like everyone did who played EQ a lot pre maps, but I still used loc and direction sense all the time.

A lot of time it has nothing to do with having the maps memorized, it had to do with lacking a point of reference. Fall off the boat in TD or OT and try and find a specific island without loc? No chance.

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
Every time I come back to EQ it makes me realize how much of my brain is just storing old, pointless EQ knowledge from when I was a kid. No, I can't remember what you said on that conference call 20 minutes ago - but you better fucking believe I can run to Yelinak with my eyes closed.

• 11Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 12 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Not every zone. But i at least knew a path how to get from point a to b in 90% of them. Yes some of that was following zonewall. But im guessing there were alot of people like me that never used maps.

Really so long as you know your location, and know where your going its not hard once youve been to a place.

I think most did not use maps back in the day, we used landmarks. Even if it was the little dirt pathways and roads in the game itself.

Elderscrolls III: Morrowind is a RPG that did the same thing. Quests gave you vague directions and landmarks and you went out and explored and looked at the world around you to figure out where the hell you were.

Sure beats staring at a mini map 24/7 as is common these days in games.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Every time I come back to EQ it makes me realize how much of my brain is just storing old, pointless EQ knowledge from when I was a kid. No, I can't remember what you said on that conference call 20 minutes ago - but you better fucking believe I can run to Yelinak with my eyes closed.

Cuz this game mattered to you and yammering hogs is cringe

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Sure, but that all went out the window with Kunark, which was long before in game maps. I had the zone maps fairly well memorized just like everyone did who played EQ a lot pre maps, but I still used loc and direction sense all the time.

A lot of time it has nothing to do with having the maps memorized, it had to do with lacking a point of reference. Fall off the boat in TD or OT and try and find a specific island without loc? No chance.

I always used to drop a sword on the ground, they always point the same cardinal direction (north??).

• 1Like