Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Powering, camping the AC, camping MQ items, porting people around, and maybe farming Giants are the easiest ways that come to mind.

Speaking of this, I decided to login this AM in Charasis on my Shaman.. Server cratered. Logged back in, Sirken was cool enough to ress me, but as I looted with 2 rooted mobs at the entrance, I went LD again... Seems to be some server issues today.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Powering, camping the AC, camping MQ items, porting people around, and maybe farming Giants are the easiest ways that come to mind.

Speaking of this, I decided to login this AM in Charasis on my Shaman.. Server cratered. Logged back in, Sirken was cool enough to ress me, but as I looted with 2 rooted mobs at the entrance, I went LD again... Seems to be some server issues today.
Reason I ask is because my bud has a 60 druid and I'm trying to earn a little cash to buy gear to equip a chanter for myself. Going to duo the chanter with my friend up through the levels.

Two follow up questions: first, any recommendations for a partner with the chanter? Druid would be my first pick, but my friend already has a lvl 60. Was thinking pally or maybe shaman?

Second question: is it worth taking the time to gear and attempt to level a new character. I haven't played on this server since the first 6 months or so after it opened. My impression from running around a bit on the druid is that every significant spawn is locked down and instakilled on pop. Is the server too crowded/locked down?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
1) Mage and Shaman make good duo with Enc if you don't want to play a druid.

2) No more crowded than EQ back in 1999-2001, maybe less so. Seems to peak around 1k users in the evenings. But yeah, pretty much every spawn that drops something worth money is going to be camped usually but not perma camped.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i've heard a few level 60 enchanters say "paladins are an enchanter's best friends"

having a tank helps break camps, and the stuns/heals help a lot with charm breaks.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
i've heard a few level 60 enchanters say "paladins are an enchanter's best friends"

having a tank helps break camps, and the stuns/heals help a lot with charm breaks.
Yep, I've heard Pallys and chanters make a good duo. My friend has a 46 pally so I think the plan is to level a shammy and chanter from 1 to 46 then reassess if we want to continue with that combo or switch the shammy for the pally

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Any priest class rocks with the Enchanter. Druid is very good. Cleric is also good. Shaman is probably the best duo partner at 60, but leveling it doesn't work as well as Druid and Cleric, in my opinion.

I'd throw another vote for a Mage, but it doesn't work as well as a Priest class, in my opinion.

2) No more crowded than EQ back in 1999-2001, maybe less so. Seems to peak around 1k users in the evenings. But yeah, pretty much every spawn that drops something worth money is going to be camped usually but not perma camped.
1-59 this is true. The endgame is jam packed way more than LIVE ever was, though. If Velious does drop in the next few weeks, I'll be curious to see what how many more 60s login.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
When Kunark launched there were well over 2000 players on.

To put it mildly, everything was camped.

It is going to be worse when Velious launches due to the length of time between the two expansion. Rogean and gang also had a special unlocking event for Kunark so I would expect the same to happen with Velious. Last time, you had to collect heads of races. All mobs of every level were dropping classic loot that was no longer available.

This time around maybe we'll see Gem Encrusted Rings, Pre-Nerf Circlets, Rods of Mourning, Rods of Annihilation, Moss Covered Twigs, Scim of the Moonwalker?(whatever), and perhaps some classic loot to make an appearance.

Velious launch is going to be _________ (crazy / awesome / hectic / buggy / crowded / custom scripted)

They had to add a levitate effect to boats because players were falling off and getting bugged out trying to get to Kunark. Imagine that little raft in Oasis trying to hold a thousand people at once. That's what it was like.

rrr_img_52016.jpg

Siliconemelons

Beta needs to drop yesterday /sigh

not that i play much anymore but oh well... velious has so much more to do than kunark and classic

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Any priest class rocks with the Enchanter. Druid is very good. Cleric is also good. Shaman is probably the best duo partner at 60, but leveling it doesn't work as well as Druid and Cleric, in my opinion.

I'd throw another vote for a Mage, but it doesn't work as well as a Priest class, in my opinion.

1-59 this is true. The endgame is jam packed way more than LIVE ever was, though. If Velious does drop in the next few weeks, I'll be curious to see what how many more 60s login.
Well yeah, but it's not because of the amount of people playing. It's because the guilds with resources have level/gear capped alts (thanks to the delay between expansions) logged out at any major raid boss which completely removes the logistics of getting to raid targets before someone else does.

scal_sl

shitlord
I would go cleric with the enchanter. You can make an argument for a shaman being better than a non-BP cleric at 60, but the cleric will be a much better partner from 1-59. Additionally, cleric HP buffs and rezzes are significant in reducing the time spent grinding to 60.

Shaman start to shine as a partner when the 2 main factors in killing highend NPCs are 1) can our team reliably land slow and 2) can charm hold through the fight. Having Malo and a second slower are huge factors for dealing with both mobs that cannot reliably be slowed by a solo 60 enchanter and pets that break frequently with just tash (Emperor Chottal, Sebilite Protector, and Tolajmup to name a few).

But, for dealing with actual camps (as opposed to individual mob kills), cleric is once again better simply due to being able to drop 6-10k CHeals. Cleric is also better for duoing most of the epic mobs which are not slowable and have weak pet options.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would go cleric with the enchanter. You can make an argument for a shaman being better than a non-BP cleric at 60, but the cleric will be a much better partner from 1-59. Additionally, cleric HP buffs and rezzes are significant in reducing the time spent grinding to 60.

Shaman start to shine as a partner when the 2 main factors in killing highend NPCs are 1) can our team reliably land slow and 2) can charm hold through the fight. Having Malo and a second slower are huge factors for dealing with both mobs that cannot reliably be slowed by a solo 60 enchanter and pets that break frequently with just tash (Emperor Chottal, Sebilite Protector, and Tolajmup to name a few).

But, for dealing with actual camps (as opposed to individual mob kills), cleric is once again better simply due to being able to drop 6-10k CHeals. Cleric is also better for duoing most of the epic mobs which are not slowable and have weak pet options.
So you would go cleric or shammy over druid or pally even?

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Cleric, hands down. Complete heal, stuns, rez, buffs, nukes for the lols, root if needed. IMO cleric/ench is the most powerful duo in the game.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
They had to add a levitate effect to boats because players were falling off and getting bugged out trying to get to Kunark. Imagine that little raft in Oasis trying to hold a thousand people at once. That's what it was like.
rrr_img_52016.jpg
I had a screenshot of that but I can't find it
frown.png