Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Snicker. TMO is trying to get me to come back for Velious. They must seriously be in the shitter.

Xasten_sl

shitlord
Snicker. TMO is trying to get me to come back for Velious. They must seriously be in the shitter.
Who contacted you? We're sending out an email blast in prep for Velious to all registered board members but it hasn't gone out yet. TMO is still doing quite well all things considered. We've had a complete change in leadership, and we're facing a resurgent IB. Times are certainly interesting, but we are far from being in the shitter.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Broken record Gecko strikes again.
Fuck you and the 15 year old emu game horse you rode in on!

No, seriously, why did TMO lock down content for so long? That baffles me. It's not like poopsocking VS or Trak for the 50th time has any valid purpose that I can see except EMU cockblocking which seems a tad silly.

I've been on P99 less than 8 months. I'm already bored, and have two 60s.

Xasten_sl

shitlord

No, seriously, why did TMO lock down content for so long? That baffles me. It's not like poopsocking VS or Trak for the 50th time has any valid purpose that I can see except EMU cockblocking which seems a tad silly.

A combination of need, alpha male bravado, and sheer momentum. Vs gear is still strongly needed for most mains. Trak is the key to VP, and controlling him controlled Phara Dar. Plus, people seemed to think that giving up anything was a sign of weakness, and neck beard honor demanded that we shit where we eat. There's also something to be said for the high turnover of p99 keeping mobs in demand for each guild and momentum can really build up in an organization.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
The turnover makes sense. The rest is typical EQ but I wasn't considering heavy turnover. I played with my guild 99-01 and we had mostly the same 25 people, with another 25 coming and going. How many does it take to hit the bosses in P99? I did sparse raiding there, but can't really compare as the people in Azure Guard were far, far worse equipped than my guild on Nameless in the day.

The rest of the paragraph made me lolzer and think of real 1999.. well done, sir. +1.

Siliconemelons

I have been on P99 a long time, and while I have not been active this year I have seen a lot- and high turn over is a big problem that is a very emu based thing and is cause for a lot of the high need for constant loot flow... just think of back flagging in POP and how annoying that was before the X keyed people = Y need no key and other stuff that was put in. Here comes Joe, Bobs RL brother who while 65 and in decent gear has no PoP keys, you are deep in elemental trying to flag everyone for time and you gatta go back and do shit to get Joe and other recruits up to snuff, factor in that not everyone is always at each backflag event etc... it is the same type with the high turnover in P99, and its also with the re-rolling people (no pun!) who get a 60 gear it and then go F-That character I am starting over and you are going to regear me! and its worse when its not a reroll but a ban and they come back... those I really do not support.

Why did IB lock down HS keys? etc etc etc it all is to have an edge and win over your current compition.

Xasten_sl

shitlord
The turnover makes sense. The rest is typical EQ but I wasn't considering heavy turnover. I played with my guild 99-01 and we had mostly the same 25 people, with another 25 coming and going. How many does it take to hit the bosses in P99? I did sparse raiding there, but can't really compare as the people in Azure Guard were far, far worse equipped than my guild on Nameless in the day.

The rest of the paragraph made me lolzer and think of real 1999.. well done, sir. +1.
Most boss mobs can be done comfortably with about 36. However, the rapid response times required to FTE and engage the mob demand a lot. This means most raid forces tend to be very bloated to ensure enough numbers for any given pop, or that a raid force will be barebones because they're out of time to FTE and have to pull RIGHT NOW or lose the mob. For example, we downed Silverwing with 18ish people this morning because we had to go right then.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Been away from P99 since ~August, too lazy to catch up on everything. Last I checked, back then, Velious was "close".

Any word/update on that?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have to say, nothing feels more classic than level 18 rogues with ragebringers and clerics with watersprinklers...

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Who contacted you? We're sending out an email blast in prep for Velious to all registered board members but it hasn't gone out yet. TMO is still doing quite well all things considered. We've had a complete change in leadership, and we're facing a resurgent IB. Times are certainly interesting, but we are far from being in the shitter.
Someone emailed me when they tried to sign up for the eqdkp page and couldn't do something or other. My email address is still in the admin field, apparently. I told them I don't do that anymore and to go ask someone else, and they said "amagads, you should come back, Velious!".

Please take my email address out of there. heh.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I have to say, nothing feels more classic than level 18 rogues with ragebringers and clerics with watersprinklers...
On the flip side, see how many 60 Wizards actually have their epic?

Cleric and Rogue epic quests are a joke, which is why so many have them done early. My 50 cleric still doesn't have a water sprinkler. I never could be bothered...

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>

I have no idea why anyone would want to do that. It's part of the reason I stopped playing in the first place. But seriously, if you've only been around for ~8 months, you have absolutely no idea what you're complaining about. It's not like TMO is the only guild to have done this, and they won't be the last, either.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On the flip side, see how many 60 Wizards actually have their epic?

Cleric and Rogue epic quests are a joke, which is why so many have them done early. My 50 cleric still doesn't have a water sprinkler. I never could be bothered...
I'm not high enough to actually see high levels outside the EC tunnel, and I'm not looking at them really. It's just funny that they're currently discussing how to bring meditate by spellbook back by applying the blind effect to players meditating, because "it's classic" yet such a glaring oversight gets a pass.

axeman_sl

shitlord
They're only serious about simulating classic when it lets them take something away from you. They're not nearly as serious about classic when it would have to mean improving the server. There's always been this slightly sadistic streak to the server's developers, it's obvious that they enjoy putting players down for the sake of that classic ideal. When the lack of classicness is a huge hindrance to the playerbase, they do nothing, e.g. the endgame congestion and the fact that there's nothing simulating the fact that Everquest had like twenty servers for the nolifers to spread out on. It's clear that P99 has about ten times more nolifers than any server did back then, and it has been fucking the community up so much ever since the server opened, it's literally the #1 problem of P99, and they only recently started to even acknowledge that the issue exists at all.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Patch notes read to me like they changed agro to be nothing like classic anymore at all. Added to hate list simply for sitting? No. Never.

played a few rounds in unrest, their changes are absolutely horrible. Not like classic at all

Gecko_sl

shitlord
It's clear that P99 has about ten times more nolifers than any server did back then, and it has been fucking the community up so much ever since the server opened, it's literally the #1 problem of P99, and they only recently started to even acknowledge that the issue exists at all.
Well, the problem was early EQ was about cockblocking spawns. The solution from the Verant/SOE perspective was to keep rolling out expansions every six months. That nicely spread out the competition and also added a ton of new content.

The design of Everquest is built on small servers with few people. EQ Kunark is not built for 1000+ high level players and three years of spinning wheels. Couple that with many having unlimited playtime and multiple 60s and you have a recipe for frustration.

That said, P99 is as close to classic as one can get nowadays. It was fun to level to 60 and it had the old school feel. I did the raidwars back in 99-01, and won't be doing anything out of my normal playtimes. I like the changes that've been made. It's a shame they didn't go farther but I understand the overall goal is to be similar to some degree.

Noahx

N00b
My left nuts for enough cash to buy spells and get a few pieces of enc noob shit. I do somewhat remember back in '00 spells being hard to acquire because no one had cash... now its everything goes for x10.

Aside that...Orc camps n shit have been fun. Level 12 never felt so earned.

On as Pothe if anyone wants to group as noobs.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I'm not high enough to actually see high levels outside the EC tunnel, and I'm not looking at them really. It's just funny that they're currently discussing how to bring meditate by spellbook back by applying the blind effect to players meditating, because "it's classic" yet such a glaring oversight gets a pass.
It's not an oversight - you could MQ these quests in classic EQ, they put a required level on them sometime in Velious or Luclin so people couldn't equip them until 46. It was just rare in Kunark for people to MQ to low levels because actual level 60s still needed them and Kunark was only the endgame for like 9 months not 3 years - people have farmed a ton more cleric and rogue epics because of it.