Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I see a few guides for making your own server- which is the best to use? And keep in mind I have zero programming skills, so the more "step by step" the guide is the better.
You might want to ping Secrets or one of several other people who are rare spawns here, but have set up their own server to ask that question.

The wiki seems to be decent, but I've not setup my own EQ server before as that doesn't really interest me:

EQEmulator: Running Your Own EQEmulator Server

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
would be so awesome if the P99 code/database was open source.... the stock eqemu database just doesn't cut it

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
would be so awesome if the P99 code/database was open source.... the stock eqemu database just doesn't cut it
QFT.

P99 isn't perfect, but it's a significant leap forward from the stock EQEMu. Wish the team would share their work with the larger community.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
QFT.

P99 isn't perfect, but it's a significant leap forward from the stock EQEMu. Wish the team would share their work with the larger community.
They won't, simply because the donations they get probably far exceed the costs. Why share what makes them money? They put so much work into that project, if suddenly someone took their code / DB and ran an even better server with it, they'd lose players. And honestly, if a new server opened right now, I'd see many people giving it a try simply because the game is pretty dysfunctional with top kunark gear twinks making up 90% of the 1-40 population.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I was under the impression that the server actually loses money.

I do think they won't share the code, but it's not about dollars and cents, it's about control and their little fiefdom.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was under the impression that the server actually loses money.

I do think they won't share the code, but it's not about dollars and cents, it's about control and their little fiefdom.
That would mean the e-peen contests of paypal transactions that happen every now and then on the forum have to be fake
smile.png

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
Does Rogean rent server space or does he run the whole thing from his home? I don't even know what kind of computing requirements you would need to run an EQ server supporting the kind of pop EQ99 has, but I'm guessing it's quite modest by today's standards.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Does Rogean rent server space or does he run the whole thing from his home? I don't even know what kind of computing requirements you would need to run an EQ server supporting the kind of pop EQ99 has, but I'm guessing it's quite modest by today's standards.
the P99 servers have more of a load than most emu servers, but i know guys that have run emu servers off of 10 year old computer towers

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
velious beta is up and running for the general public

if you want to participate, log into your P99 character and type /beta twice, then logout and find the beta server on the emu list

i just had a blast running around with <Azure Guard> in Velketor's Labyrinth.... a couple of the GMs (Derubael and Allusasomethingorother) stopped by and hung out with us for a while

fun times, winter is coming

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Doesn't he work for a data center somewhere?

In any case, running an eqemu requires very little in terms of computing power. Running an eqemu under heavy load, however, requires quite a bit.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm pretty sure he rents server space. He has mentioned data center outages as the reasoning behind the server going down in the past.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
He does do some sort of network or system administration work but whoever he works for isn't going to give him free hosting.

Siliconemelons

velious beta is up and running for the general public

if you want to participate, log into your P99 character and type /beta twice, then logout and find the beta server on the emu list

i just had a blast running around with <Azure Guard> in Velketor's Labyrinth.... a couple of the GMs (Derubael and Allusasomethingorother) stopped by and hung out with us for a while

fun times, winter is coming
Azure Guard are good peeps- some should remeber as they are orig from veeshan- they where in the 2/3rd tier on veeshan during the vel/sol/pop hayday of EQ - my guild (PE) was in the same tier as them and never had bad disputes or run ins with them, unlike Jices guild ;-)

glad beta is up, gives me something to putz around with.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
^ i was not in Azure Guard on Veeshan, but i believe our current leader, Dulas, was also the leader back in the day.
smile.png

now its run by her and her son both.

stankwoo

Silver Knight of the Realm
Starting up with a buddy, rolled a high elf Enchanter. Is there a chat channel or anything that has the FoH/rerolled people? Starting out is scary
biggrin.png