Project Quarm - 1 Box Planes of Power

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
It's a fairly high quality experience outside of the client.

When we get Evolution working, I imagine we'll have the rest of our holdouts come back.

Tempted to give it a shot. Can bards kite kill groups like they did before they got nerfed?

:)

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Are you making a halfling ranger or paladin? They aren't in classic.
Yeah, I figured that out. I saw the yellow banner when clicking on iksar/vah shir and thought it would do the same for other race/class combos not yet available. I completely forgot that rangers weren't available for halflings in the beginning.

Thanks.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Exp is brutally slow

I cant even get a kill in Gfay so many people playing, and like camping spawns for level 1 mobs.

WILD.

I bet its a mess higher up.

I think I see a level 15 or 16 as tops right now, anyone beyond that?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Exp is brutally slow
We nerfed the inflated ZEMs that were present in Al'Kabor and the ones that were adjusted Late Velious / Early Luclin are gated to that era.
SolA had the Paludal bonus, as did Crushbone in packet collects - we were able to track those to various expansion changes and dev quotes. They were 1.6 in those packet collects.
When we did math to reverse them, we ended up at 1.0 modifier. There were flat boosts over classic, and then there were percentage adjustments.

Those were listed here:

I don't want to focus ZEMs to each timeline perfectly - sometimes they would fuck something up and overnerf it, like LOIO. Then they'd revert that later. So we're going with the effective average until 2001, when we'll add in the ZEM adjustments for Velious. Then, we'll do the Luclin superbonuses in that era. Paludal was on par with CB at that point.

We do not have the exp bonus that AK had. So that's 20% less.
We don't have the bugged XP bonus that AK had. We are following timeline for classic -> velious - 2% per group member, ending at 10% for 6. That gets boosted in Velious to 20% (4% per player) - there was a post-LOY bonus that Hobart had added, but he screwed up the implementation and TAKP replicated that. Torven helped me unwind.
There's also the reduced xp on pets taking a share if a single pet does more than 50%. So that's also brutal on top of the above 'bonuses' missing.

When I told everyone exp would be brutal and I wanted people to feel like they had to make an investment into their character, I wasn't joking. It's brutal so you consciously make choices about what alts you level, and what characters you invest into.

I'm a huge fan of the D&D style pnp approach EQ had in mind with its vision, so I wanted to replicate the immersive commitment that players made to their character.

I think we succeeded in that. It also means that bans for ShowEQ, MQ , hate speech and such will sting that much more if you've put a fuckton of time into leveling characters. Doubly so with account sharing restrictions.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Whites grant a ton more exp than blues, so max your defense skill by having level 1s beat on you and buy all the armor you can so you can kill whites, then leveling won't feel bad

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Whites grant a ton more exp than blues, so max your defense skill by having level 1s beat on you and buy all the armor you can so you can kill whites, then leveling won't feel bad
Good idea for your alt, but right now lvl ones have the average life expectancy of around 3 seconds.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
I'm a huge fan of the D&D style pnp approach EQ had in mind with its vision, so I wanted to replicate the immersive commitment that players made to their character.

I think we succeeded in that. It also means that bans for ShowEQ, MQ , hate speech and such will sting that much more if you've put a fuckton of time into leveling characters. Doubly so with account sharing restrictions.

Interested to see how that turns out.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So what is the plan for classic just having nowhere near enough mobs to support any kind of healthy population?

Do people just not remember the days of solb/lguk having 0 mobs alive at any time of day and wait lists 20 people deep to get added to a group. I haven't logged in but if Zaide is saying the XP is slow then y'all are completely fucked in classic cause there just isn't anywhere to grind.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
So what is the plan for classic just having nowhere near enough mobs to support any kind of healthy population?

Do people just not remember the days of solb/lguk having 0 mobs alive at any time of day and wait lists 20 people deep to get added to a group. I haven't logged in but if Zaide is saying the XP is slow then y'all are completely fucked in classic cause there just isn't anywhere to grind.

There aren't any layers/instances? Everyone's packed into 1?

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
If tlp taught the playerbase anything, it was that an easier eq is more fun.

Equally bad is investing so much time and effort getting to max level just to have nobody else to play with.

These things were fine with a massive (500k+?) Population and being the hottest shit on the market. That was 25 years ago. Love the idea but any emu needs to have a very light investment required to be raid ready to at least give people a chance to get hooked, slow as molasses leveling combined with growing pains and you got yourself a treadmill of burnt players by level 4.

That's without considering late expansion cycle leveling, where there's literally nobody to group with and no box to ease that pain.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
If tlp taught the playerbase anything, it was that an easier eq is more fun.

Equally bad is investing so much time and effort getting to max level just to have nobody else to play with.

These things were fine with a massive (500k+?) Population and being the hottest shit on the market. That was 25 years ago. Love the idea but any emu needs to have a very light investment required to be raid ready to at least give people a chance to get hooked, slow as molasses leveling combined with growing pains and you got yourself a treadmill of burnt players by level 4.

That's without considering late expansion cycle leveling, where there's literally nobody to group with and no box to ease that pain.
If only there was a server with faster XP and maybe lets you box 2-3 toons so you can play by yourself when there’s not a lot of people on!

🤔

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Love the idea but any emu needs to have a very light investment required to be raid ready to at least give people a chance to get hooked, slow as molasses leveling combined with growing pains and you got yourself a treadmill of burnt players by level 4.

Also don't forget the ever-present, looming threat with Secrets where he gets bored and his autism attaches him to something else or he has his typical tranny meltdown and deletes the server.

Just play TLP if you want to experience nostalgia.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users