Prometheus (Alien 0) - 1 Year Later

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The first was rather disappointing. The marginally philosophical aspects appeared superficial and poorly incorporated. It felt like a 3 part movie condensed into 1 movie and many of the characters were poorly developed. The aspects from the Alien's movies appeared superfluous and unnecessary. Had the movie been set in a different universe neither related or inspired by Aliens, it'd have been less jarring. The special affects were pretty and Michael Fassbender was superb. For me, despite some eye candy, the movie fell into the cliche of smart people doing stupid things with tired horror elements tacked on. It's a good movie to watch if nothing else is on and you're in the mood for Sci-Fi.
Almost all of the problems with this movie would be exactly the same without it being in the Aliens universe. All four of the Alien movies did a better job of being at least a run-of-the-mill scifi/horror flick than this shit.

Bring back the formula of badass monster, skeleton crew of rough-around-the-edges space mercenaries/scientists/pilots, and being stuck in a remote ass end of the galaxy in deep space with no where to go and no one to hear you scream. You can see where Prometheus took a swing at the formula but struck out in epic fashion.

I'm dead serious when I say I like Resurrection better. There was never the slightest sense of the near hopeless dread and impending doom that a space horror opera should have from minute one until the monster dies.

In fact there was no fucking monster. Not even an abstract monster like in Event Horizon, or even Sphere which was underwater not even in space. Throughout the whole thing they were trying harder to inspire hope and faith in humanity than to instill a sense of dire against-all-odds urgency. The monsters were accidents, the engineer was without apparent motivation and far too humaniod. The ending was a cheap hacked up cliffhanger for Prometheus II: Cash Grab-a-Rama.

Kubrick nailed this formula better with 2001, even though that's not even really horror at all. At least he had the balls as a director to shoot significant chunks of dialog with actors inside their space suit helmets when it is obvious they should be.

They bit off too much. Trying to be something the franchise is not and ended up lacking most of the good aspects of the source and also being too limited by the source to become the artier work it aspires towards. The only thing the Alien universe really has going for it over the other examples of this sub genre was the darkly erotic and mildly disturbing Geiger-inspired art direction. Prometheus mostly came up short in that regard as well, despite the overall visual effects being generally striking.

I would definitely lick that dark haired bitch's nether regions clean, though. I'll hand it to them there.

Charles_sl

shitlord
The only thing I've learned from this thread is that autism is a real bitch and truly is plaguing our society.

Personally, I don't tie the movie in with Christianity, sure maybe it's some sort of inspiration but Christians would never compare their religion with aliens coming from outer space and drinking magic goo to create humans or whatever bullshit some of you people are saying. There's nothing Christian about the movie. There's a difference between perhaps ripping off Christian themes and ideas and actually being Christian. I doubt this movie appeals to Christians or religious people as a whole.

With that said, I think that the movie was pretty well done. As was just said: Fassbender was good as he usually is. The effects were great due to the massive budget of the film, it looked really nice. The story had some silly parts and a lot of things didn't make any sense and weren't explained, but those things weren't nearly as bad as some of you people and those stupid youtube videos make them out to be. Oh no, the girl ran in a straight line while she was running for her life? How idiotic... Wow I can't believe what a bad movie it was, people run in straight lines lol.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The movie could have been better if they made it longer but I understand why they didn't. It was not as good as it could have been but that doesn't mean it wasn't good.

iannis

Musty Nester
It would have been fine (hardly great, but whatever it was pretty -- that's fine) if it had just been a run of the mill space sci-fi movie. That it's associated with Aliens creates an expectation and that expectation was not met.

Oh look an alien urn! Being a trained stick-my-face-in-it-ologist at the top of my field I guess I better take my helmet off and stick my face in it.

Alien 1/2/3 didn't have to resort to people being flat out retarded in the way that this one did. We were hoping for a return to the creepy ass "I sell you rape" original Alien. What we got was Alien Vs. Predator 3 levels of scriptderping. And such PRETENTIOUS script-derping at that.

Edit: I haven't watched the 1/2/3 in years... and I'm not saying there weren't retarded plot devices there too. It's a monster movie. But from what I remember they were also stories about dumbass Space Marines and Asteroid miners. Not exactly the smartest people in the world to begin with. This one starts out with "here are some of the smartest people in the world".

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
My biggest issue with the movie was all the stupid crap they did. Taking their helmets off in the alien atmosphere, finding the first piece of alien biology EVER and fucking destroying it within 10 minutes, etc, just off the top of my head. What the hell. Even the regular boring archaeologists here on earth aren't that reckless with their sites, who the hell would be that stupid with the first objective proof of alien existence to ever be found? Then there's the old dude, who has himself frozen, then decides that the best way to achieve immortality isn't to let other people go find the aliens and learn from them so the method is perfected before he unfreezes, but to walk his decrepit ass across an alien landscape the moment they find a scrap of proof that aliens even exist.

That said, I thought it had some great moments too. The robot's discussion with the archaeologist about the motivation of creation was awesome. It was just buried under all the facepalm stupidity.

And when the fuck are people in the Alien universe going to learn to not fucking trust robots?

Caliane

Its the classic problem with B horror movies and actual scary horror movies.
Are you screaming at the person to not go back into the house, or is the person doing what you would do, and still in danger?

If the character is acting dumb, then it takes you out of the scene, and makes you yell at the character and/or laugh at them. While if the character is acting intelligent, but shit is still getting worse, then it puts you on edge.

first alien biology and the blow it up.
The second is a fucking eye worm, which the guy just shrugs off. Jesus christ. If I pulled a worm out of my eye in the morning. I would be in the emergency room 10minutes later, on what is a 35minute drive.
If I pulled an ALIEN fucking worm out of my eye...

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Exactly. I know that stupidity in horror movies is par for the course, but it veers too far into unbelievability when you see people who are supposed to be professionals, acting anything but.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I thought we already explained Holloway and the eye worm. Oh well, some people just refuse to "get it".

But you're completely right, every good sci-fi film I've ever seen is always 100% rational and scientifically sound. Like that time when Luke blew up the Death Star by lobbing 2 torpedoes into a thermal vent. Or that time on Contact when that wacky rich guy had another trillion dollar machine built in secret, just in case.

Seems like the real gripe here is a bunch of nerds wanted "Alien" all over again and got a movie about something else instead. And they're salty about it.

Personally, I don't tie the movie in with Christianity, sure maybe it's some sort of inspiration but Christians would never compare their religion with aliens coming from outer space and drinking magic goo to create humans or whatever bullshit some of you people are saying. There's nothing Christian about the movie. There's a difference between perhaps ripping off Christian themes and ideas and actually being Christian. I doubt this movie appeals to Christians or religious people as a whole.
This. If anything, it's a movie about how fucking stupid humanity is that they started to worship and built a religion that would last thousands of years off the death of an alien being. He may have been what humanity thought was Christ, but he was a fucking ALIEN. Not Jesus. Not the Son of God. Not anything supernatural or religious. This movie is blasting Christianity as being the dumbest moment humanity has managed to allow to thrive and continue. At least to me anyway. I know I'd be pissed if I believed in "God" and then had someone tell me he was an alien being who had no real omnipresent or omnipotent properties.

Caliane

its one of the good things about Sunshine. (which fails at the end unfortunately).
Constantly through the movie, the crew are doing fairly stupid things. And they get called out for it. Johnny storm is the asshole. The Vickers of that movie. Except he is completely fucking right the entire movie.
Every time he insists on doing something "by the book" and he gets ignored, it ends in tragedy for the crew. Every time they listen to him, hes right. Hes willing to sacrifice crew, etc, for the sake of the mission. But he is also absolutely correct in doing so. (in the end, even sacrificing himself for the mission)

Caliane

This. If anything, it's a movie about how fucking stupid humanity is that they started to worship and built a religion that would last thousands of years off the death of an alien being. He may have been what humanity thought was Christ, but he was a fucking ALIEN. Not Jesus. Not the Son of God. Not anything supernatural or religious. This movie is blasting Christianity as being the dumbest moment humanity has managed to allow to thrive and continue. At least to me anyway. I know I'd be pissed if I believed in "God" and then had someone tell me he was an alien being who had no real omnipresent or omnipotent properties.
no not at all. Its one of those bullshit creationist attempts to what we know, with religion. Its the worst kind of psuedo-science and religion.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
no not at all. Its one of those bullshit creationist attempts to what we know, with religion. Its the worst kind of psuedo-science and religion.
LOL, what does that even mean?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Alien 1/2/3 didn't have to resort to people being flat out retarded in the way that this one did. We were hoping for a return to the creepy ass "I sell you rape" original Alien. What we got was Alien Vs. Predator 3 levels of scriptderping. And such PRETENTIOUS script-derping at that.
That blonde bitch in the first alien film was seriously DERP.

Her character was at least consistent though, unlike Prometheus's scared of dead things but wanting to pet clearly hostile snake aliens biologist.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT FUCK YOU ARAYSAR, FUCK YOU FOR REMINDING ME OF HOW COMPLETE SHIT THIS FILM WAS.

Were you so fucking lazy in your writing that you didn't think the audience would care that your BIOLOGIST was afraid of dead aliens 20 minutes ago (bad enough when it happened) and now thinks a goddamn freaky ass alien snake monster is cute and cuddly? How can you be that retarded? Your fucking GEOLOGIST with the pet magic mapping toys is the one that gets lost? COULDN'T YOU AT LEAST PICK DIFFERENT FILL IN SCIENTISTS WHO AREN'T IN DIRECT OPPOSITION TO YOUR PLOT DIRECTION.

FUCK SHIT PROMETHEUS CUNT CRAP BULLSHIT FUCKING GARBAGE @$!@#!@#!#!@@#!@!%!!@

Caliane

LOL, what does that even mean?
its like the people that trying using plate tectonics to insist the great flood actually happened. They don't understand plate tectonics. And are trying to use real science to give legitimacy to their insane made up shit.
Same deal with ancient alien theories.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Where does space balls figure into the Aliens/Prometheus timeline? I guess Prometheus would have to take place before Space Balls pivotal diner scene, seeing as the character portrayed by actor John Hurt says "Oh no, not again!" Also why does the alien in Space Balls have the ability to sing old show tunes? Did John Hurt become a traveling minstrel man between the events of Alien & Space Balls? Well that's all for now, Prometheus sucked a dog dick.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
It would have been fine (hardly great, but whatever it was pretty -- that's fine) if it had just been a run of the mill space sci-fi movie. That it's associated with Aliens creates an expectation and that expectation was not met.

Oh look an alien urn! Being a trained stick-my-face-in-it-ologist at the top of my field I guess I better take my helmet off and stick my face in it.

Edit: I haven't watched the 1/2/3 in years... and I'm not saying there weren't retarded plot devices there too. It's a monster movie. But from what I remember they were also stories about dumbass Space Marines and Asteroid miners. Not exactly the smartest people in the world to begin with. This one starts out with "here are some of the smartest people in the world".

It barely has anything to do with Alien 1/2/3, its a standalone film on the origin of humanity, not a prequel to a monster chasing people through the vents film. Just because its set in the same universe, doesnt mean that the film cant deviate from the typical Alien plotline and explore another aspect of that universe. Get over it.