(PS4 and PC) - Death's Gambit

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Releases tomorrow, August 14th.

2D Dark Souls like side scrolling

Death's Gambit is a lush 2D fantasy RPG releasing this month | PC Gamer

Death's Gambit is a challenging 2D action RPG which has been in development since at least 2016. When you watch the new trailer embedded below, you'll probably be put in mind of Dark Souls, and there's some fairly obvious comparisons to be drawn with Dead Cells, too. But this is no rogue-lite: it's a meticulously pieced together Metroidvania with tough bosses and a very detailed and vibrant pixel-art aesthetic.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Looks like a prettier Salt and Sanctuary. Pretty skeptical though, as the people making it seem to have little previous experience and it's published by Adult Swim who thought it would be a good idea to have one of the most retarded review embargoes I've ever heard of (they didn't even send review codes out until the game released). Though after reading random people's impressions on Steam/Reddit/GameFAQs I think I understand why. Lots of complaints about performance problems, game speed tied to framerate on PC that forces you to play in windowed mode (and there's no borderless option), frequent crashing on PS4, and a shitty control scheme that can't be re-bound.

Hopefully it will be patched up to be as good a game as S&S eventually but for now they've made the decision between buying this or Phantom Doctrine extremely easy.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Played it for around 2 hours. Runs perfectly, no performance problem on my end at least. Playing in 4k. Not noticed anything about windowed mode. I just loaded it up and it booted to full screen with no issues.

Fun game so far. Plays similar to Dead Cells while feeling like Dark Souls. Not bad so far. I am bad and die a lot, but that's not the games fault.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Got it last night, there are a couple places that have a very minor, very repeatable stutter but it isn't in combat, so it's not a huge deal at all.

I'd say it's a bit slower than dead cells (which makes sense)... this is really just a 2d souls game, it has a stamina bar, boss death counter, classes to choose from that don't REALLY make too huge of a difference, everything.

I'm enjoying it, and I think they already had a pretty hefty patch that solved bug problems.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I started this yesterday and its decent for a 2d Souls clone. There's moments where the combat is a little awkward, but its negotiable. Trying to parry is a little funky, but blocking isn't bad except that it locks you into that direction so you have to drop your guard to turn around. Their "flask" system is different in that you can get newer ones that have improved healing or side effects, like a 30% damage reduction bonus for 4 seconds after using it. You can find two tomes for each boss, which give you a hint of lore about them, and each you find hidden in the world then gives you a 5% damage bonus against them.

Neat game so far.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
New update revamping the entire game, doubling the world size, adding tons of weapons, new areas, bosses, talents, etc. Ready to play through it again, update looks great.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
New update revamping the entire game, doubling the world size, adding tons of weapons, new areas, bosses, talents, etc. Ready to play through it again, update looks great.

Released now.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I played a couple hours of this last night on PS5. I’m definitely enjoying it. I went in completely blind except for this thread and a couple trailers.

The death mechanic is a welcome break from the more hardcore/roguelite games I’ve been playing recently. Your estus flask is a Phoenix feather with charges. When you die you drop a charge at that location and respawn at the last shrine (bonfire) visited (there’s plenty and I’ve yet to find one that was more than a screen away from a boss). If you don’t want to do the boss fight again yet or can’t be bothered to go back to get the dropped feather (again, 1 charge - I currently have 6 total) you can reclaim all dropped feathers at any shrine for a pittance.

The aesthetics and area themes are a little all over the place right now, but not in a bad way. I don’t know if some of the areas I’ve been in are the newly added ones. The boss I just beat was electricity themed (positive/negative charge) and the area leading up to it was very 8 bit Metroid feeling (while all previous areas were medieval high fantasy themed).

Surprisingly there’s voice acting for most characters and the story seems pretty good so far. It’s interesting enough that I’m as curious to see where it’s going as I am to see the next boss fight.

Gameplay-wise I’d say it’s a mix of Salt & Sanctuary and Hollow Knight. There’s classes that generate ability energy in different ways (blocking, parrying, and others I forget) with an RPG stat system, gear slots with stats, and a consequential but not significant death mechanic. It’s Chill Souls. Combat and exploration demands to be taken seriously, but you never have to be anxious about losing the last hour of “souls” you collected but haven’t yet spent.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Synj Synj this was the metroidvania game I was trying to think of the damn name last night. It’s pretty cool. They just revamped it and made it a lot bigger, more bosses, loot, etc. so I’m doing my second play through.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Synj Synj this was the metroidvania game I was trying to think of the damn name last night. It’s pretty cool. They just revamped it and made it a lot bigger, more bosses, loot, etc. so I’m doing my second play through.
Haven't seen this one, will definitely play for 12 minutes and then read all about it and then never play again!

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I played a couple hours of this last night on PS5. I’m definitely enjoying it. I went in completely blind except for this thread and a couple trailers.

The death mechanic is a welcome break from the more hardcore/roguelite games I’ve been playing recently. Your estus flask is a Phoenix feather with charges. When you die you drop a charge at that location and respawn at the last shrine (bonfire) visited (there’s plenty and I’ve yet to find one that was more than a screen away from a boss). If you don’t want to do the boss fight again yet or can’t be bothered to go back to get the dropped feather (again, 1 charge - I currently have 6 total) you can reclaim all dropped feathers at any shrine for a pittance.

The aesthetics and area themes are a little all over the place right now, but not in a bad way. I don’t know if some of the areas I’ve been in are the newly added ones. The boss I just beat was electricity themed (positive/negative charge) and the area leading up to it was very 8 bit Metroid feeling (while all previous areas were medieval high fantasy themed).

Surprisingly there’s voice acting for most characters and the story seems pretty good so far. It’s interesting enough that I’m as curious to see where it’s going as I am to see the next boss fight.

Gameplay-wise I’d say it’s a mix of Salt & Sanctuary and Hollow Knight. There’s classes that generate ability energy in different ways (blocking, parrying, and others I forget) with an RPG stat system, gear slots with stats, and a consequential but not significant death mechanic. It’s Chill Souls. Combat and exploration demands to be taken seriously, but you never have to be anxious about losing the last hour of “souls” you collected but haven’t yet spent.
Not sure if you noticed, you see you can use your Phoenix feathers to up your damage at the shrines? You lose a charge but gain 10% damage bonus per. You can change it up and down at will.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Dandai Dandai you get to the black and white boss yet? That fight was so fuckin cool/unique. Haven’t hit it yet on this play through, interested to see if they made any changes to it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Dandai Dandai you get to the black and white boss yet? That fight was so fuckin cool/unique. Haven’t hit it yet on this play through, interested to see if they made any changes to it.
I guess not. I haven’t gotten to play it since last night. [I think] I did all the tier 1 bosses around the hub area - owl king, dark Knight, Phoenix, ancient Gaian?, the ice chucking seesaw platform guy, and bulwark. Then the Metroid/polarity boss that I need to look up how it’s supposed to be done because I brute forced the shit out of it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I guess not. I haven’t gotten to play it since last night. [I think] I did all the tier 1 bosses around the hub area - owl king, dark Knight, Phoenix, ancient Gaian?, the ice chucking seesaw platform guy, and bulwark. Then the Metroid/polarity boss that I need to look up how it’s supposed to be done because I brute forced the shit out of it.
Yeah you would know if you did, the whole experience of that guy is unique to what you’ve been playing so far.

One thing I really like about this game is how non-linear it is. I have done a few bosses that you haven’t, and I haven’t even found the ice boss yet. That’s one they moved and I just haven’t come across it yet. Haven’t done the polarity guy yet, and yeah he was pretty tough my first play through, was one of the last bosses I did.

They did add some cockblock mechanics that made it a little more linear like the double jump and air dash. Stuff you get after each boss kill. It was a good change though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I’m a few hours in to this off and on, maybe more than a few and really enjoy it. There’s something about it that is cool yet not blowing me away as awesome. Using only halberd but have killed a few bosses, that Ione chick like 4 times, and done a lot of exploring and the map still only says like 35%. Plus tons of areas and items I can identify as not accessible. Also like spending too much time trying the heroic versions of the bosses after beating them. It’s much better than Grime or whatever that other one was that I tried out and couldn’t get it to at all.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So it's worth checking out now for someone who thought the game sucked when it first released?

I loved Salt and Sanctuary but every other game that has tried combining metroidvania and souls has been a complete disappointment.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah you would know if you did, the whole experience of that guy is unique to what you’ve been playing so far.

One thing I really like about this game is how non-linear it is. I have done a few bosses that you haven’t, and I haven’t even found the ice boss yet. That’s one they moved and I just haven’t come across it yet. Haven’t done the polarity guy yet, and yeah he was pretty tough my first play through, was one of the last bosses I did.

They did add some cockblock mechanics that made it a little more linear like the double jump and air dash. Stuff you get after each boss kill. It was a good change though.
I just looked up a vid of the Bysurge fight. Looks like I did it “correct” with the exception of forgetting I had a shield to block when he does that energy leash attack or whatever.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So it's worth checking out now for someone who thought the game sucked when it first released?

I loved Salt and Sanctuary but every other game that has tried combining metroidvania and souls has been a complete disappointment.
It’s not Salt and Sanctuary good (IMO) but it’s worth playing, especially if you already have it.