(PS4 and PC) - Death's Gambit

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So it's worth checking out now for someone who thought the game sucked when it first released?

I loved Salt and Sanctuary but every other game that has tried combining metroidvania and souls has been a complete disappointment.

I’ll spare you 10,000 words on the whole Souls thing but also agree with Dandai Dandai . It isn’t S&S good but it is also different. I never played the original incarnation of this but as a newcomer have been pleased. I probably bought every game in the Metroidvania category on Steam at this point 😬

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So it's worth checking out now for someone who thought the game sucked when it first released?

I loved Salt and Sanctuary but every other game that has tried combining metroidvania and souls has been a complete disappointment.
It depends what you didn’t like about it. If you thought it was too short and too small/easy to get around, that’s been addressed. It added a little complexity with more abilities, items, and skill trees. The core game and enemies and stuff is all the same though, it’s just a lot more of it.

Me, I liked the original but recognized it had shortcomings. I liked it enough I’m glad they expanded it. The boss fights are fun, the map is nice and big now.

Last edited:

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It depends what you didn’t like about it. If you thought it was too short and too small/easy to get around, that’s been addressed. It added a little complexity with more abilities, items, and skill trees. The core game and enemies and stuff is all the same though, it’s just a lot more of it.

Me, I liked the original but recognized it had shortcomings. I liked it enough I’m glad they expanded it. The boss fights are fun, the map is nice and big now.
Couldn't actually remember, but based on checking some old reviews I think it was the weird input lag that bothered me most. Just watched a review of Afterlife (Switch version, which I also didn't realize was a thing now) and seems like they've fixed the stuff that stopped me from buying it before. Switch version seems like an easy choice, the review said there were no issues with framerate or graphics and I need more stuff to play in handheld mode on the OLED.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Couldn't actually remember, but based on checking some old reviews I think it was the weird input lag that bothered me most. Just watched a review of Afterlife (Switch version, which I also didn't realize was a thing now) and seems like they've fixed the stuff that stopped me from buying it before. Switch version seems like an easy choice, the review said there were no issues with framerate or graphics and I need more stuff to play in handheld mode on the OLED.
Ok, yeah I haven’t had any performance issues at all. I’m on a 3070. No input lag on any of my controllers. Have used DS4, Gamesir G3 and a 8bitdo pro 2 with no issues.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Dandai Dandai you get to the black and white boss yet? That fight was so fuckin cool/unique. Haven’t hit it yet on this play through, interested to see if they made any changes to it.
So I just did the black and white boss. Yeah that was different lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Well, I just got the credits. Pretty good little game. $10 is a pretty good price, maybe $15. If that was twice as long as it used to be I could see why people were hating on it, but I think it’s just the right length now (that’s what she said).