Psychonauts 2

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Psychonauts 2

Developer Double Fine announced a sequel to the much-loved 10-year old adventure-platformer Psychonauts at The Game Awards tonight. Set a little after the events of the first game, which was set in a summer camp that provided training for mind-invading acrobats, it'll follow Raz's continuing adventures through the minds of other people as a professional Psychonaut.

It's going to be crowd-funded through Fig, a platform that lets pledgers actually become investors rather than just contributors, and Double Fine is looking for $3.3 million from fans (a nod to how much Broken Age raised). The rest of the development budget will be contributed by Double Fine itself, and outside investors.

We spoke to Tim Schafer before the announcement to get some further facts. Here are the big ones:

It is still in early pre-production.
Psychonauts 2 will explore more of Raz's backstory, including his family's curse to always die in water, as well as more adventures through different minds.
There'll be some new psychic powers mixed in with the old ones.
A lot of the old team is getting back together: Erik Wolpaw will help write it, Peter Chan will be doing more concept art, Peter McConnell is doing the music.
Voice actors Richard Horvitz (Raz) and Nikki Rapp (Lily) will also be returning.

Schafer you better not fucking blow this.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Psychonauts is an amazing game, you really have missed out if you've never played it. I view it like the No one Lives Forever FPS games that were so amazingly great, but relatively few people ever played them. Some of the humor and creativity are unmatched. Hopefully the second one is at least as good.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
After the Broken Age debacle I'd think long and hard before giving him any money on a kickstarter like project.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Very bittersweet. Psychonauts is the only decent game Double Fine has ever made, and eventhatwas still unfinished (not as unfinished as Brutal Legend, but still unfinished). I did really enjoy the Psychonauts characters and shipping Raz and Lili together (the gameplay was only okay), but I doubt Double Fine will be able to do justice with a sequel, especially because they've only gotten worse.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
The other interesting thing about this is him not using Kickstarter. Instead he's using a new crowd funding platform that he and a few other game developers have launched together.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I don't trust Double Fine or Tim Schafer after Space Base and Broken Age, and you shouldn't either.

If the finished product, in complete form, is ever released, and get good word of mouth, then I'll consider it.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The other interesting thing about this is him not using Kickstarter. Instead he's using a new crowd funding platform that he and a few other game developers have launched together.
I think it's just to look more attractive to people with more money, because of the whole "you get a share of the profits" thing.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Psychonauts is one of my alltime favorite games, considering giving a few bucks to 'em. I giggled at Gaben with his arms crossed saying Erik can be into it. Like 2 months ago Erik left to go work at Valve, and if they're actually going to let him work on Psychonauts while working there I'd be slightly surprised.

Djevel Innenfor

Golden Squire
Psychonauts was dope, but fuck Tim. Nope.jpg. I'm over all the major fuckups and vitriolic screeds this dude has engaged in. His last actually successful project was what? Grim Fandango in '98? Psychonauts was cool but not a commercial success, and Brutal Legend was also not successful. Everything since then has been a fucking mess. Plus him shitting on brad wardell for years.

But the real awful, terrible thing I can't forgive him for? He made me agree with, and say Bob Kotick was right. Fuck you Tim schafer. Fuck you.

Caliane

Im astounded its has high as it is.
1.45m atm, 9838 backers. $147 average.

so many of the big number backings taken. that is unusual.
2-10k taken, 20k
7-5k, 35k
10-2k, 20k
48-800, 38.4k
57-500, 28.5k
81-400, 32.4k

the $33 is only 100k of the total, and 39 another 100k or so.

Caliane

According to Schafer at TGA, investing in the game means you will get a share of the profits.
thats for investing, yes.
crowd funding is a separate action.

yeah, the break down is 659k investment, 797k crowdfund. the 1.45m should have been split.

they expect 700k units needed to be sold to break even for investing. more is profit.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
thats for investing, yes.
crowd funding is a separate action.

yeah, the break down is 659k investment, 797k crowdfund. the 1.45m should have been split.

they expect 700k units needed to be sold to break even for investing. more is profit.
I thought Fig was their investing platform?

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
rrr_img_118632.jpg

Caliane

I thought Fig was their investing platform?
its one and the same. thats the point of fig. its kickstarter with actual investing merged in.
Psychonauts 2 - Fig: Video Game Crowdfunding

"There are two different ways you can back this game: Traditional crowdfunding REWARDS and INVESTMENTS. Learn more here."

top left, you can see backers. then the 1.5m raised of 3,300,000.
click the "l" infotab under the green bar. shows you rewards vs investments.

Under the 10k reward tier has a "register to invest" link.