Punk Music

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My personal history with punk rock.

Punk rock is the one genre I never seem to tire of. I had a rap phase, a heavy metal phase, a grunge phase, and while I still love a lot of artists from those genres, punk will always have a special place in my heart.

The first punk band I fell in love with was Bad Religion back in the early 90s.

At that point if someone asked me if I liked punk rock, I would've said no, just Bad Religion.

A few years later Green Day's Dookie came out. Say what you will about Green Day, Dookie was a great album from start to finish. It was in heavy rotation on my CD player.

Still - I wouldn't have said "I love Punk Rock" at that point.

It was the mid-late 90s and I was deep into my metal phase. I had recently become good friends with a guy who was big into all the Fat Wreck Chords bands. He would play the compilations nonstop (they were dirt cheap!). For some reason I felt like all the bands on the compilation sounded the same - which I find to be a typical reaction from someone who is not an avid listener of a certain genre of music. After awhile, I started to pick out the subtle and wonderful differences between the bands on the compilations. My appreciation for skate punk was growing. The band that first sparked my ongoing love for punk rock was No Use for a Name.

Those fast drums had me hooked. After that I picked up all the Fat Wreck Chords compilations for myself, and bought the CDs of the bands I loved the most. My favorites were Propagandhi, NOFX, Lagwagon, and Strung Out.

Continued in next post...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Punk has changed a lot since my skate punk days. For instance, I loved the way the singer in None More Black. He had this raspy voice that I had never really heard that much in my previous punk rock listening experience. Of course since then I have gone back and listened to some of the original bands that did this same kind of awesomesinging. See Jawbreaker and Hot Water Music.

Folk punk came outta nowhere and punched me in the dick. Against Me! writes songs that you can't help but sing along and get drunk to.

I was blown away by the bass and guitar in A Wilhelm Scream. They're like the next level Strung Out.

Polar Bear Club. Post-grunge/punk rock/melodic hardcore goodness. ITS.NOT.WORTH.LISTING.GENRES.AT.THIS.POINT.

Bomb the Music Industry! has been my favorite for the past three or so years. BTMI! proved to me that you don't need money to start a band, or make an album. BTMI! frontman Jeff Rosenstock recorded nearly all BTMI!'s albums for next to nothing. They embrace the DIY attitude like no other band I've ever seen.

And Banner Pilot just because.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
I approve of all of these bands + this thread

Dookie will always hold a place in my heart despite everyone hating Green Day. I think what really started to spark an interest in punk was playing Tony Hawks Pro Skater, haha. AM! and NOFX are still to this day one of my favorite bands. AM! puts on a hell of a show. Forever in love with them.

I like most types of punk, lately been on a hardcore phase but here are some of my overall favorites.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
Also.. Obligatory

HE WAS THE PUNKEST MOTHERFUCKER THAT I EVER DID SEE

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The Flatliners. I love both their old (ska) and new (not ska) stuff.

I live close to where they're from, so I get to see them quite often.

Daggermouth

Insomnia_sl

shitlord
I listen to punk over anything else, even to this day. I get to leave my headphones on at work, and NOFX Pandora station all day never dissapoints. Some of my favorites have been listed but I'll name em anyways.

NOFX
Bad Religion
Social Distortion
Lagwagon
NUFAN
Me First and The Gimmie Gimmies
Millencolin
The Bouncing Souls
Goldfinger
Blink 182 (nothing after Enema of the State, which is a stretch.)
The Supervillians
Propagandhi

Those are just to name a handful heh, the first 3 are my favorites though. I would pay some good $$ to see Me First live, have seen NOFX and lagwagon already live, but never got the chance to see Me First, and that makes me sad. (failing at embeding vids, I tried reg embed code and video tags, did I miss something?)

http://www.youtube.com/embed/wcChJCrPtwI

http://www.youtube.com/embed/gEl1xSPyOwA

http://www.youtube.com/embed/2GoSel917BY

Orcus_sl

shitlord
80s skate punk here. Hardcore was the genre that awakened me musically. My first LP was Suicidal Tendencies. Saw many of these bands live in the day. All ages shows ftw
smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Ian McKaye probably had the most influence on me musically of anyone when all is said and done.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
Also, Cerebral Ballzy. I haven't discovered them until more recently, but they're pretty awesome.

Maroon_sl

shitlord
One of my favorites from my punk years: Civil Disobedience
thanks to this thread prompting me to look them up, i learned they just release a discography in November called 'the whole 9 grams' on H.F.T. Records.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I came into punk rock in '95/sophomore year of HS when I moved to a town about 30 min from Santa Cruz. Made some friends there who were pretty big into Fat Wreck and Burning Heart. So it was Good Riddance, Lagwagon, NUFAN, Strung Out, No Fun At All, Satanic Surfers, Millencollin, etc.