Quake Champions

xzi

Mouthbreather
Really? I've only had a handful of problems with netcode issues which I expected because beta anyways. Also the first 2 tests there was a huge queue to even play so I think they've been forcing stress tests without calling them stress tests, that could be contributing?

Either way I agree. Feels really close to how I remember quake being. I've spent an absurd amount of time playing the last couple of weeks and think I'm definitely gonna buy the full game when I can

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I played a few matches and it was pretty terrible, but it could very well be my connection.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Have you played today? My shit is all fucked up today lmao so I feel you

They somehow made the rocket delay worse which was my one major issue, feels like having an insanely high interp while all the other weapons are fine

xzi

Mouthbreather
Kinda nice to watch old players playing the game right now and enjoying it. I hope there's a Quake revival tbh

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
As long as the back end matchmaking is stellar, and the population reaches a critical mass, its going to survive.

The game is good, and the 4v4 esports mode makes me optimistic that its going to have the variety of modes it will need to survive. I hope they do add ctf however.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So this is gonna be FTP and full of micro transactions?

xzi

Mouthbreather
100% FTP, non default heroes need to be bought with either real money or with ingame currency they can be rented for periods of time.

At the moment it's pretty easy to get currency and hopefully remains the same, it's a pretty fair system I think like you're not gonna have to spend 8 weeks playing to unlock one character. Currency can also be used for cosmetics etc

Or you can spend I think the price was 35$ and fully unlock everything in the game which seems like a fair asking price for a multiplayer game anyways so I'm just going to buy it since I've been enjoying it as is.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
expected all the characters to be available for the beta. Is there a way to unlock them all and I'm not seeing it? Only way I see using them is to play enough to unlock them daily

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Kinda nice to watch old players playing the game right now and enjoying it. I hope there's a Quake revival tbh

Fatal1ty is a cool dude. I played as Opium in Q2/3. This does indeed look amazing. I'm on board when I get back in town from work.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
My reset email got sent right away just an 1 1/2 hour or so. Maybe since it is prime time PST its being slow? I'm having more fun watching fatal1ty atm tho, lol.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I duo que'd into the 4v4 competitive mode with an old top tier friend from Q1 days, its remarkably good little mode. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but we had a fucking blast. Looking forward to roping 4 friends into it. I really had a good time, closest thing to Clanring 4v4 on DM3 for hours back in the netquake days. The objectives are simple and obvious, but they do drag the fighting around the maps. There are minor custom edits to a couple of the levels to make space for the points. For the most part. Really enjoyable. Some wacky lag and some visual errors. But I like where this is going.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, I assume once beta is done the lag issue will be fixed. I played mostly fine last night but for some reason around 3ish the game was just spiking constantly and became unplayable.

That new mode they just added is fun as fuck, I'm not sure if people realize you can throw the ball or not but it adds a whole new level to the game, it's almost like CTF KOTH had a baby and somehow fucking works amazingly for quake which I didn't expect when they first started talking about it

• 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I think it works because they kept it simple. 4v4 on DM3 was legendary, but the gameplay was about zone control and item denial. This captures a lot of what made that great without putting too many rules. Fragging the fuck out of the enemy and running the powerups is still a sure fire way to win at all points. I appreciated it a lot after I started to play it myself. Yeah chucking the ball as your last gasp is great and hilarious but the game definitely doesn't overtake the game of playing quake. I really like that.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, it's fantastic. Also the fact that if you pick up the ball first you can choose what pillar you want to go to, and it has some perks depending which you go to. Like a red armor being closer to one point while rockets and mega are closer to the other point. There is still strategic placement of items but each pillar has different types of items. I can see this being played out in the long run like having big ass tanks near the mega

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Finally got around to playing this tonight. Have been in since day 1 just busy with RL and wow - Really enjoying it. At first i was turned off by how much it looked and sounded like Quake 3 sound effects/announcer/meh item icon/graphic things for weapons/ammo/etc but then after getting into it, it felt more like a hybrid of Q1 and Q3 (I miss the Q1 days) which is still a step in the right direction.

I hope it will be moddable to kinda cut out some of the Q3 type announcer/sound effects. I am fine with visual queues for when i hit someone, dont need that hit detection sound, gets annoying. Would rather just hear the person's character scream etc.

Though the most fun I had in Quake 1 with mods etc was with custom sound paks anyway. I think I absolutely loved a Simpsons/Southpark mix I had.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm afraid it won't be moddable, but they could surprise us I guess? Just the fact that it's going to be F2P mixed with the DOOM (2016) modding tools which were extremely lackluster and get zero support from the dev team and constantly break, the future is looking grim.

The rest of the game I absolutely love but I sadly don't have much hope for any form of mapping or modding. I hope I'm wrong though.