Rajaah's CRPG Blog

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Hello frens, here's where I'll post my CRPG updates from the Great CRPG Crusade. Also everyone else feel free to post anything CRPG-related here and discuss anything CRPG-related.

Here's the big list of things I'm gonna play. 20 things in all, so each one is 5% of the crusade. I've got System Shock, Diablo 2, and Warcraft 3 on here even though they're not CRPGs or D&D. They're major computer games that I totally missed out on, though, so I'm gonna slot them in. Considered adding Icewind Dale 2, NWN 2, and Fallout Tactics, as well as a few recommended modern games, but I think I have enough. TBD, subject to change if I hear enough good things about those. Tides of Numenera and TOEE are two that I might tap out on given what I've heard, but I'm going to at least give them a try. I'm gonna beat most of these though.

We'll see how this goes.

PHASE 1: Retro CRPG Crusade and Other PC Classics I Missed
-Baldur's Gate
----Siege of Dragonspear

-Baldur's Gate II
----Throne of Bhaal

-Icewind Dale
-Planescape Torment
-Neverwinter Nights
-*System Shock Remake
-*System Shock II
-Fallout
-Fallout 2
-Icewind Dale II
-Neverwinter Nights II
----Mask of the Betrayer
-Castle of the Winds
-Warcraft 3
----Frozen Throne

PHASE 2: Modern CRPG Crusade and Other PC Classics I Missed
-Pillars of Eternity
-Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
-Diablo 2
-Wasteland Remastered
-Wasteland 2
-Wasteland 3
-Divinity: Original Sin
-Divinity: Original Sin II
-*Baldur's Gate III

PHASE 3: Leaving for last, some optional
-Tides of Numenera
-*KOTOR
-*KOTOR 2
-Arcanum
-Temple of Elemental Evil
-Disco Elysium
-Pathfinder
-Pathfinder II

Gonna focus on P1, then P2, then P3, maybe a year for each? An asterisk before one of them means I don't have it yet, since I'm working on chipping away at getting all of these.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 2Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Repost of my Baldur's Gate 1 updates:

--------------

I'm still having choice paralysis on a BG1 class. Monk looks interesting now but I'm still leaning Fighter. Looks like this has both Mage and Sorcerer, thought Sorcerer wasn't until BG2. Maybe they streamlined classes too in this version?

Yeah, I have no clue what class I should pick here. Probably gonna make a big difference in overall enjoyment too so I better choose wisely.

I like how Paladin and Ranger get Cleric and Druid spells respectively at level 9. Sounds familiar...

Edit: Went with Paladin. Came down to that, Fighter, or Ranger. Decided being able to cast and heal would probably offset losing some power ground to Fighter. Then I compared Druid and Cleric spells and Cleric won. Character creation was a looooong process. Ended up going Cavalier with two proficiency points each in Two-Handed Sword and Katana. Hopefully those were good calls. Not really interested in wielding anything else besides those anyway. Hopefully Katanas aren't super rare in BG1. Str 18/83, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 17. Wish it woulda let me lower Cha a little to put more into Con, but it also says Cha is important for Paladins so maybe it's alright that the stat can't go below 17.

Wait, I can create a whole 6-person party at the character select? I probably shouldn't do that 'cause I want to recruit NPCs like Minsc, but it's also pretty tempting to just go ahead and make a party now instead of sorting it out later with NPCs. Maybe make four characters and leave two spots open?

Started this up pretty late after working for like 10 hours today, basically got through the character creation for one character and now I'm ded.

----------------

I'm like 90% sure that the "Streetwise" male voice in the character creation is the same voice actor as Frank Fontaine from Bioshock. That was quite a surprise!

----------------

I spent like 2 hours last night just creating characters. Eventually I deleted a lot of them and went with my Paladin and a Cleric/Sorc as backup. Then I realized I vastly prefer controlling one character versus controlling a bunch (at least for now) so I started over with just Paladin. Taking today off and I'm gonna hit the game pretty hard.

----------------

A few hours in now, have a full party and I've gotten used to controlling this many people. I've got Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Neera, and Minsc. I think Neera is my favorite character at this juncture. Still on Chapter 1 and everyone's level 1, probably barely made any real progress cause I've been mostly micromanaging and wandering around to get more fast travel points for the map.

In Nashkel now and it looks like there are two dungeons I've got quests for: Nashkel Mines and Gnoll Stronghold. The latter is where Minsc's boo is (not Boo, his other boo) and the party is full, so I'm a little concerned he might take off if we don't have room for her. Should I downsize to five people (Khalid would get the boot) before going there? Don't even know how to put characters in storage yet and I'm still on Chapter 1 so maybe I can't. Doing the mines first in case. Hopefully this is like other games and if you get a new recruit while full, they automatically warp to the character storage location.

-----------------

Damn, I shouldn't have gone to the Mines first. Minsc went psycho and I had to kill him! WTF!

Just got his GF. I was super close to getting her when he attacked. No reload is gonna fix it either.

Apparently it also changed over to Chapter 2 recently, not sure when or why. Is that time-based? I still feel like I've barely done anything storywise yet. Getting Minsc's GF rescued from the Gnoll Fortress would feel like my first big accomplishment if I hadn't lost the guy in the process. Maybe I'll just start over.

-------------------

Started over, got back most of the way to where I was pretty quickly. Got Minsc and his GF, but had to boot Khalid, so I lost the hot druid. Was gonna boot Neela and invite them back, but I got Edwin so now I'm back to not really having room.

Gonna redo the Mines and get back to Chapter 2. Pretty fun first day of CRPGing

Edit: Is Xan worth recruiting? Was gonna boot Neela out for him. The boss fight with the guy south of him and the army of adds seems to have my number. Everyone's super close to finally reaching Level 2 (My God, this really is an 80 hour game)

-------------------

I have the hero and Minsc up front doing melee and 3 damage casters (Dynaheir, Edwin, Xan) in the background with slings. Also have Imoen doing archery damage. Seems to be working really well, the only time I die is when the hero runs out of HP.

--------------------

I pooled all my spells to Dynaheir and booted out the other two, getting a lot more exp now with hero/Minsc/Imoen/Dynaheir. Might just keep it like this, might go back and recruit Jaheira/Khalid again, unsure. Right now I'm farming Ankhegs for mega-exp up north, got a few characters at Level 3. Last story advancement I did was the bandit camp.

--------------------

On Chapter 6 now, everyone's at level 6-7 and finally kicking some ass. The Ankheg cave got me several levels, and you can also lug their shells back to Beregost to sell for 500 G each. Don't need to worry about money anymore after that.

Took Monday off, then yesterday was a snow emergency, so I basically plowed BG1 for like 20 hours between them. I couldn't seem to turn the game off and now it's almost done, I think. BG2 soon.

---------------------

I set aside a lot of time for it and then could not turn it off, was crazy. Been ages since that happened. Not sure what it is that's so compelling about this game, but I always wanted to finish a level up, or look into a side quest someone gave me, or check out a newly-appeared map location. It was so hard to stop playing to like, sleep.

I really like this game, but it's also very... proto? Like I'm looking forward to seeing how some of the others advance on the formula, especially visually. PoE1 is 60 FPS and BG1 is like 20 FPS which was rough after trying PoE1.

Looks like all I have left are a relatively short Chapter 6 and 7 that are basically two big dungeons. I'm surprised I made so much progress in the game because I didn't use a walkthrough at all and had to figure it out about 50% from scratch. Only even referred to the guidebook on things like classes and stats. Just totally winged it in the actual game progression outside of that and this board. Did a fair amount of side quests, but focused on the main quest, and the game was always pretty clear about where to go next and what to do.

Never got "lost" which I expected to a lot in an open game like this. Closest thing I can think of in console RPGdom is Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 on the SNES/SFC (now also on Switch I believe). They both have similar open world maps where new locations unlock as you go. I spent a ton of time just outright lost in those games though. Vague objectives and usually unlocking any of the important locations meant talking to the right person, who could be like 8 zones away. Baldur's Gate actually did this formula right with clear objectives and letting me unlock things by simple exploration.

Looking at the world map, I visited about two thirds of the locations on it and did a fair amount of side quests but probably nowhere near all of them. Didn't see any of the southeast side of the map (mountains etc). If BGII uses the same maps maybe I'll see those areas there.

--------------------

Alright, I'll make sure I do this before I finish the game. I don't think my Paladin needs Int but I'll get some of the others. Gonna finally use some guides for this. Next time I play (tonight probably if I don't get tied up) the plan is:

-Finish Chapter 6 dungeon (Tomes of Str and Wis here)
-Get Cha Tome from Gnoll Stronghold (a place I thoroughly plundered earlier, hope I didn't get it and sell it or something)
-Get Con Tome from Pirate Cave
-Chapter 7 dungeon (getting Dex Tome on the way)

Optional: Two other Wis tomes I could get and I could grind more Ankhegs (or better yet Sirens) for a couple more levels. Not sure what level you need to finish the game but I have everyone at 6-7 and they were taking a full-on beating in Ch 6 so far. I'd rather just finish the game rather than doing more grinding though, and grinding seems very unnecessary in this game. Only did it midway to catch-up (2-3 to 4-5) since the main story was outpacing the party levels.

----------------------

Gonna miss running around at bardspeed with the Cheetah Boots. Don't even remember where I got those but it was a real game-changer. Was zipping all over the place for the second half of the game. Not looking forward to going back to normal walk speed in future games. These boots are probably a lot of the reason why I booked it through the second half of the game so fast.

Annnd game beaten, everyone was at level 6. There were a few very nasty parts later on, like the spiders with AOE webs (unless you bring the Spider's Bane 2HS), and the twin basilisks at the end of Ch 6 (unless you bring a bunch of anti-petrify scrolls from a temple). Got most of the stat tomes, everything except Int and some Wis.

The final chapter was pretty hard, particularly several of the group battles (the one outside the final boss temple and the one in the temple, right before the final boss). Had to pull the foes out one at a time to have a chance and it took a while. I thought the final battle was straight-up impossible for a few minutes, then realized the thing that was annihilating me were room traps around the giant floor face, not the actual fight.

Beat the game on Normal. Have Golden Pantaloons and that one good helm and a few other things to hopefully bring into the next game. I should skip the Siege of Dragonspear inter-quel, yeah? Since it's newer Beamdog content and would eat up a bunch of time. Kind of tempted to play it anyway just to get the "full picture" so someone tell me it's unnecessary!

Starting BG2 RIGHT NOW

----------------------

I think I'll give SoD a run and switch it down to Story Mode, just to get the story without struggling with the actual gameplay portion. This'll also make it take a lot less time. I'll turn it back up to Normal for BG2.

I checked out the beginning of both of them already, and while BG2 is definitely higher-quality, SoD's story is interesting enough that it grabbed me quickly. Going from being a wandering hero/outcast type in BG1 to a hero of the realm and worshipped war leader with throngs of people turning out to see you in the first chapter of SoD was a trip. Main thing that makes me want to play it though is that you go to Avernus (Hell 1) at some point and a whole chapter takes place there. Been wanting to see a D&D game (module or video game) that goes into the Nine Hells pretty much forever.

----------------------

One more note on BG1: I think people are short-changing Neera a bit. For a Beamdog character, she was pretty awesome. A lot of fun dialogue-wise and I ended up inadvertently romancing her. Never really went anywhere but it added a lot to the game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I am playing through NWN2 right now and this thread and the BG3 thread are great reads. Never finished nwn2 back in the day so I’m really enjoying it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

NWN 1 and 2 had some fantastic player-made campaigns. not sure if theres a repository for any of them you can access though now. persistent rp servers too.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I think I'll give SoD a run and switch it down to Story Mode, just to get the story without struggling with the actual gameplay portion. This'll also make it take a lot less time. I'll turn it back up to Normal for BG2.

I checked out the beginning of both of them already, and while BG2 is definitely higher-quality, SoD's story is interesting enough that it grabbed me quickly. Going from being a wandering hero/outcast type in BG1 to a hero of the realm and worshipped war leader with throngs of people turning out to see you in the first chapter of SoD was a trip. Main thing that makes me want to play it though is that you go to Avernus (Hell 1) at some point and a whole chapter takes place there. Been wanting to see a D&D game (module or video game) that goes into the Nine Hells pretty much forever.

----------------------

One more note on BG1: I think people are short-changing Neera a bit. For a Beamdog character, she was pretty awesome. A lot of fun dialogue-wise and I ended up inadvertently romancing her. Never really went anywhere but it added a lot to the game.

Dude, I assumed this gaming odyssey was going to make you appreciate the beauty of old video games, not praise the terrible modern woke add-ons to them.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Bored Christopher Walken GIF

• 1Dislike

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I still play temple of elemental evil, if you can get to level 4 on a solo run you start to really fuck shit up. When you get great cleave you have some serious mobility and damage.

Or just play a cleric, both good times.

What's that first one, Fighter/Warrior?

I haven't played a healer in any of these games yet (then again I've only played one so far but I never had any healer classes in it) so a "solo Cleric" that can get really strong sounds like it might be a fun change of pace for TOEE.

Dude, I assumed this gaming odyssey was going to make you appreciate the beauty of old video games, not praise the terrible modern woke add-ons to them.

Neera isn't woke. I think if people gave her a shot in the game they'd find the character to be a lot of fun, particularly the Wild Mage stuff (and the banter about how different characters are afraid she'll set them on fire, etc)

20230316_225042.jpg

In other news, found my old copies of KOTOR1+2 that I got at a flea market for $5 each in 2013. Considering adding those two to The List... probably right after the 90's ones end (so between NWN and PoE). That's right... I've never played KOTOR either.

Also got Third Age at the same flea market. Cool game, very much an FFX clone though.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Bunch of Baldur's Gate 1 images before I go on to the next one:

20230313_000117.jpg

Starting stats, basically made a Moor Paladin.

20230313_152516.jpg

I abused the Rest command all game, which meant getting harassed by guards. So basically RP'd a hobo.

20230313_183459.jpg

Some of the more hilarious dialogue choices. Didn't know this was a Bioware game at first and was totally unsurprised to find out. The dialogue is them in top form.

20230315_230233.jpg

Got the Golden Pantaloons right before the end, along with the best helm, after reading that I should bring those into BG2. Turns out they were super easy to get. The best helm on the game requires checking a painting in an inn.

20230316_031808.jpg

Siege of Dragonspear isn't much to talk about so far, but I like the "crowds cheering on the hero" part and I'm looking forward to seeing how he ends up imprisoned at the beginning of BG2, since this leads right up to that. Got Minsc right away in SoD and he's already making quips.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Are you going to BG2 now? Are you trying to avoid spoilers? If not, are you trying to figure out your party and will rush to get them asap? What class you picking for your main in BG2? Are you going to increase the difficulty or install any mods?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Are you going to BG2 now? Are you trying to avoid spoilers? If not, are you trying to figure out your party and will rush to get them asap? What class you picking for your main in BG2? Are you going to increase the difficulty or install any mods?

Doing SoD first, unless it stops being interesting, then I'll jump to BG2. SoD seems a bit short, especially since I turned the difficulty down to Story Mode for it and am one-shotting everything. Just there for the story. SoD is full of traps and ID-style dungeon crawling and it seems a little excessive (especially the traps) so I just wanted to get that part over with and see the story stuff.

BG2 I'll turn it back to Normal like BG1 was... or maybe go a step further to Core Rules, since BG1 felt just a little easy outside of the last chapter. No mods. Carrying over the same Paladin at level 7 (or 9, or whatever he is when I stop SoD). Not too worried about spoilers. No plans to rush party members asap, just get Minsc and then pick up whoever else makes sense. Got the guide handy for this one so I'll refer to that a lot.

Might not have too many updates for a few days between being busier now and SoD just not really having a whole lot for me to say about it yet.

I'm a little concerned that I sold my Spider's Bane +2 after reaching the final boss in BG1. I needed some quick funds to restock potions and didn't really think it through. That weapon was AMAZING for dealing with spider enemies, which are normally a PITA. My character's main weapon now is a Katana +1, which is slightly better than the Bane was on DPS while also allowing a shield, but it doesn't have the special effects.

I'll take any suggestions for an OP Katana/Shield to go after early in BG2. Celestial Fury, I think, was the one people were talking about?

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

What's your beef?

I am playing through NWN2 right now and this thread and the BG3 thread are great reads. Never finished nwn2 back in the day so I’m really enjoying it.
NWN 1 and 2 had some fantastic player-made campaigns. not sure if theres a repository for any of them you can access though now. persistent rp servers too.

I think I'll probably end up adding NWN2 to the list eventually, but let's see if I can even get through half of what I've got now. Fallout Tactics is also a very likely add since it's included with the Fallout 1 + 2 set I just got.

Once SoD is done (which won't take long), I'm gonna do BG2... and probably Fallout concurrently because I'm super pumped for both of them. So that might end up being an interesting contrast that'll give me lots of stuff to report here. And from what I've heard Fallout 2 is pretty incredible. I think the ones I'm most stoked for on the list are BG2, Fallout 2, and P:T. So it's a bit top-heavy in interest level.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm a little concerned that I sold my Spider's Bane +2 after reaching the final boss in BG1. I needed some quick funds to restock potions and didn't really think it through. That weapon was AMAZING for dealing with spider enemies, which are normally a PITA. My character's main weapon now is a Katana +1, which is slightly better than the Bane was on DPS while also allowing a shield, but it doesn't have the special effects.
Yar, Spider's Bane is pretty good to keep in a weapon slot, and switch to it, when you need the effect.

Clerics can cast Free action, so can high level Paladins, and you will get 2 or 3 other items with the Free action effect in BG2, eventually. Also, two rings of Free action could have been acquired in BG1 (one from a hostile mob and 1 from pick pocketing).

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Doing SoD first, unless it stops being interesting, then I'll jump to BG2. SoD seems a bit short, especially since I turned the difficulty down to Story Mode for it and am one-shotting everything. Just there for the story. SoD is full of traps and ID-style dungeon crawling and it seems a little excessive (especially the traps) so I just wanted to get that part over with and see the story stuff.

BG2 I'll turn it back to Normal like BG1 was... or maybe go a step further to Core Rules, since BG1 felt just a little easy outside of the last chapter. No mods. Carrying over the same Paladin at level 7 (or 9, or whatever he is when I stop SoD). Not too worried about spoilers. No plans to rush party members asap, just get Minsc and then pick up whoever else makes sense. Got the guide handy for this one so I'll refer to that a lot.

Might not have too many updates for a few days between being busier now and SoD just not really having a whole lot for me to say about it yet.

I'll take any suggestions for an OP Katana/Shield to go after early in BG2. Celestial Fury, I think, was the one people were talking about?

Yes, celestial fury is the katana to use for most of BG2 its a fairly difficult fight to get it though. After celestial comes Hindos doom. But really, katanas arent part of the top tier weapons and rare to find. Overall weapon+shield style loses in effectiveness at higher levels and I think most prefer two hand or dual wield

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Step 1: Finish Siege of Dragonspear
Step 2: Start BG2 and beeline to Celestial Fury
Step 3: ???

Amod Amod Can we change the title of this thread to just "Rajaah's CRPG Blog" since I'm not exactly doing anything quick aside from the first game (thanks to a two-day snowstorm)? TY

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
In other news, found my old copies of KOTOR1+2 that I got at a flea market for $5 each in 2013. Considering adding those two to The List... probably right after the 90's ones end (so between NWN and PoE). That's right... I've never played KOTOR either.

If you're going to play KOTOR 2, do it on PC and get the fan patch that restores a bunch of unfinished content.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If you're going to play KOTOR 2, do it on PC and get the fan patch that restores a bunch of unfinished content.

Good idea. And didn't KOTOR 1 get some kind of HD version on the Switch? Probably just go with those versions instead of digging up my old XBox with its terrible load times and fuzzy 480p (at best).

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Good idea. And didn't KOTOR 1 get some kind of HD version on the Switch? Probably just go with those versions instead of digging up my old XBox with its terrible load times and fuzzy 480p (at best).
There are a bunch of HD mods for the PC version for KOTOR 1, but there is only so much they can do with those early 3d games.

KOTOR is an excellent game, but just like NWN, the 3d engine is one of the worst looking, for old games (didn't age well).

This has a ton of various mods listed, but you can just pick out the GFX mods. "Non-spoiler" list:

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230316_221130.jpg

Finished my Party Like It's 1999 Guide Collection. I highly recommend the Versus Books guides (BG2, ToB, NWN), they're pretty fantastic

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For KOTOR get the widescreen mod, it fixes some of the UI issues that you get unless you run it at 4:3.

Anyone interested in reading about old RPGs might want to also check this blog out, I read it on and off. Guy is doing every computer RPG released since the 1970s in order of release. He's been going at it consistently for over a decade now, he's now up to the early 90s.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230318_151443.jpg

Just pulled it up on the Switch, looks like they added KOTOR 2 since the last time I looked.

20230318_151456.jpg

$15 each for KOTOR 1 and 2, looks very sharp visually so I'm pretty sure it's wide-screen and HD. Given the convenience factor I think I'll go with this version for 1.

KOTOR 2 is a different story though. I really want to have access to restored content and I don't know if this version has any of that, ao I might need to go PC for that.

Either way I have a while to figure out which version to get.

• 1Like