Random technology news & announcements

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
3.2 Billion? These acquisitions are getting out of hand.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I still can't believe Snapchat turned down Facebooks $3B offer to buy it. Fucking take that money and run

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Didn't know that Honeywell has a lawsuit pending on Nest. They are seriously suing Nest over settings being set by asking the user questions. Patent law is such a fucking joke in this country.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Didn't know that Honeywell has a lawsuit pending on Nest. They are seriously suing Nest over settings being set by asking the user questions. Patent law is such a fucking joke in this country.
Just had my first Nest Protect experience...

Was cooking some bacon downstairs for a brussels sprout saute thing, wasn't really smoky or anything but yeah it rises. So watching Prisoners and all of a sudden my downstairs Nest starts saying "There is smoke upstairs" about 5 seconds before the upstairs one goes batshit. Not sure if I could have disabled the upstairs one from going off if I had waved the downstairs one in time, but there wasn't near enough. So had to run upstairs and jump punch the center to turn it off.

Meanwhile my phone is blowing up with Nest notifications about which one is going off and the next steps I need to take. And to top it all off the wife text messages me from dinner with a co-worker, "Smoky dinner?"

So, working as intended I guess.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I wonder how that is powered. I can't imagine that there's much of a battery in that thing and I don't see a micro-USB port to plug in the charger.

spronk

FPS noob
not really surprising, CPU power has really stagnated over the last 10 years. We're right around the time (next 2-5 years) when a leap forward is due - either in battery life, power, or size for compute devices. Either Intel will be the one to do it, or someone else will and drive Intel out of business.