Random technology news & announcements

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Honestly, they probably didn't need to "support" any of their Office products past Office 2016 XP. I can't think of a single improvement they've made since then. It's all been continuing to reshuffle/crappify the interface and more half baked web based horseshit.
FTFY.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
I only went as late as 2016 because i misrecalled when they expanded the maximum number of rows in Excel from 65k to 1M. Turns out it was 2007. Without that enhancement, I'd have gone with Office 2000, which is about where you landed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I only went as late as 2016 because i misrecalled when they expanded the maximum number of rows in Excel from 65k to 1M. Turns out it was 2007. Without that enhancement, I'd have gone with Office 2000, which is about where you landed.
64bit wasn’t until 2010. Power Query was integrated in 2016. Xlookup is better than index match

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
64bit wasn’t until 2010. Power Query was integrated in 2016. Xlookup is better than index match

Basically Excel has become Access, that's the only component that's really meaningfully improved. PowerPoint is still dumb, Word is still the same.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
All you guys talking about how these goggles are so clunky and dumb remind me of me 10 years ago.

"Nobody's gonna give up browsing the web on a real monitor and start using a retarded little 3x5 screen instead, thats so dumb"

You're all forgetting, clown world has no limits, and the dumber the better.

Inching ever so closely to the movie The Lawnmower man.

Virtual Reality Computers GIF

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Dunno how the fuck they shit up such basic programs. How many resources do you need to put some formatted text on the damn screen. Also the added bonus of having to “verify” the stupid things for like 5 minutes every time I open them on my work PC.
This reminded me of that YouTube video someone posted a while back on how bad the windows command prompt is and made some custom version that ran 10,000x faster. Someone knows what I’m talking about hopefully.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Can someone help me find a device, or even just the name of what I'm looking for?

I want a little pad that hooks up to my computer, that I can use to program certain buttons/button combinations. The catch - I want it to let me set the text that's displayed on each button. I'd be ecstatic if I can find one with mechanical buttons AND custom text on each button, but not optimistic that exists.

Right now, I have a Tartarus that I'm using with my lidar processing software, and I have a bunch of different stuff mapped to it like running certain macros or using classification tools. If I could have the same thing, but add the ability to set the text displayed on each button, it would be great.
1709141573322.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Can someone help me find a device, or even just the name of what I'm looking for?

I want a little pad that hooks up to my computer, that I can use to program certain buttons/button combinations. The catch - I want it to let me set the text that's displayed on each button. I'd be ecstatic if I can find one with mechanical buttons AND custom text on each button, but not optimistic that exists.

Right now, I have a Tartarus that I'm using with my lidar processing software, and I have a bunch of different stuff mapped to it like running certain macros or using classification tools. If I could have the same thing, but add the ability to set the text displayed on each button, it would be great.
View attachment 516946
You want a stream deck

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>

View attachment 516946
I think I’ve seen something like that. I remember back in the day some company was developing a keyboard where all the keys had a little screen…

this isn’t the company I recall, but seems to be what you’re looking for. No idea about reviews/quality etc

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
You want a stream deck
Huh? Steam deck does that?

I think I’ve seen something like that. I remember back in the day some company was developing a keyboard where all the keys had a little screen…

this isn’t the company I recall, but seems to be what you’re looking for. No idea about reviews/quality etc

Thanks! Checking it out now

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
How about not only no but hell no.

HP launched a subscription service today that rents people a printer, allots them a specific amount of printed pages, and sends them ink for a monthly fee. HP is framing its service as a way to simplify printing for families and small businesses, but the deal also comes with monitoring and a years-long commitment.

Prices range from $6.99 per month for a plan that includes an HP Envy printer (the current model is the 6020e) and 20 printed pages. The priciest plan includes an HP OfficeJet Pro rental and 700 printed pages for $35.99 per month.

HP calls this an All-In-Plan; if you subscribe, the tech company will be all in on your printing activities.

One of the most perturbing aspects of the subscription plan is that it requires subscribers to keep their printers connected to the Internet. In general, some users avoid connecting their printer to the Internet because it's the type of device that functions fine without web access.

A web connection can also concern users about security or HP-issued firmware updates that make printers stop functioning with non-HP ink.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider

I think this was the company - the Optimus keyboard. I remember being really interested until I saw the price, was well over $1k. Seems they gave up on it.

I see the elgato stream deck already got mentioned, that's the one that came to mind for me as well.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I think this was the company - the Optimus keyboard. I remember being really interested until I saw the price, was well over $1k. Seems they gave up on it.

I see the elgato stream deck already got mentioned, that's the one that came to mind for me as well.
Yeah, Optimus was it. I’ve heard good things about the elgato stuff as well.