Raya and the Last Dragon (2021)

Qhue

Trump's Staff
2.50 star(s) Rating: 2.50/5 4 Votes
Title: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021)

Tagline: A quest to save her world.

Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Family

Director: Don Hall, Carlos López Estrada

Cast: Kelly Marie Tran, Awkwafina, Gemma Chan, Daniel Dae Kim, Benedict Wong, Thalia Tran, Izaac Wang

Release: 2021-03-04

Runtime: 90

Plot: Long ago, in the fantasy world of Kumandra, humans and dragons lived together in harmony. But when an evil force threatened the land, the dragons sacrificed themselves to save humanity. Now, 500 years later, that same evil has returned and it’s up to a lone warrior, Raya, to track down the legendary last dragon to restore the fractured land and its divided people.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well it looks less rip offy than the first teaser, which screamed absolute ripoff of The Dragon Prince and Avatar The Last Airbender.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Watched this last night. As usual visuals were great. It starts off ok, then she meets with a young girl from another tribe and it was just weird. They were using modern slang and sounded like two girls from California. Then the story progresses and it got tolerable again, neat visuals. Time progresses into the future and everything’s ok then the dragon appears and I had to nope out. The dragon was just too over the top, silly, weird. I couldn’t tell what they were going for with it, cause it wasn’t funny.

Wife and kid finished it and liked it but the dragon was just really stupid/weird. Wife said the dragon leveled out and got more tolerable but said there was a lot of weird joke attempts that felt flat. She said it felt like someone from Asia who thinks they understand American humor but doesn’t wrote it.

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kids watched it last night. Loved it, thought it was super fun. Mission successful!

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

WTF is up with trying to double dip charge for everything? F Disney if they're going to put it on Disney+ I ain't paying more on top.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
WTF is up with trying to double dip charge for everything? F Disney if they're going to put it on Disney+ I ain't paying more on top.
Then wait a few months til it goes free. Or pirate it.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Saw this last night in the home cinema (gotta support the economics of releasing films for home screening vs AMC asshatery). Was a fun film with a cool mythology that was clearly SE Asian in nature but with enough fantasy to be its own thing.

Metacontextually it had a good view of the different lands and seeing themselves as the good guys and everyone else as bad when the real 'enemy' was literally mistrust. They don't explain how the whole thing started though, which would have helped the broader message.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Watched it the other day, liked it. Wife liked it. While the double dip sucks, price wise, it was comparable though less than the 2 of us going to a theater . Plus we could be..in bed watching (55" tv 5.1 sound system in bedroom)

Ladro

Anomaly
Watched with my kid who enjoyed it, worth every penny. Definitely support the economics and pattern here, need this to become normal as an option. Still will go to theaters again at some point but not having to listen to a bunch of other whining brats is a huge plus.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Well choreographed fight scenes, amazing animation, enjoyable story.

Disney did a good job here, lots of fun scenes, me and the wife loved it.

Couchy

Molten Core Raider
I liked it. Pretty cool setting. Heavy Avatar The Last Airbender vibes. Totally made for kids, not too much for adults/parents.

If Fang is China, and the Droon/Drune? Is the corona virus. We just have to trust each other and give China our trust and all the power, and they'll put it all together and we'll be saved.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I think it is their compromise with the movie theaters, instead of doing WBs "Free on HBO Max for 1 month"

Let people choose between VOD unlock on D+, going to a theater, or just wait 3 months and it will be a regular movie on D+ (Like Mulan before it)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Watched this last night and enjoyed it. HATED the scene where the dragon was first introduced though. I later came to like the dragon, but that intro had me about ready to turn it off. Also, I shouldn't have looked up who the voice actors are. I'm glad I wasn't imagining pig-faced Rose from Star Wars the whole time, and why is everyone pretending that "Awkwafina" isn't just a misspelled bottled water?? Goes a long way towards explaining why I initially hated the dragon.

Definitely more for kids though. The baby and monkeys (or whatever the fuck they were) did absolutely nothing for me. Wong was cool, and I liked the kid boat captain/restaurant owner. And the bad girl, I actually liked, particularly after I found out her voice actor was the hottie from Humans.

Still, it was worth the watch. Wouldn't have been worth 35 bucks for just me, but a group or family I could see it being fine.

Daidraco

We watched this like a week ago. Its an enjoyable movie to watch once, but thats about it. The world building was top notch, but like Void said.. they could have done away with the baby thief and no one would have even noticed the difference. Also agree with the Dragon, cause that character didnt get to a redeeming quality until much later in the film.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to watching this.

Holy fuck Aquafina (however absurd way she spells it) is just the fucking worst. This movie is actually not bad at all, quite enjoyable, if you put a fucking muzzle on that bitch. Really, the humor tone in general is bad, but Christ, Awkwahfeenah takes it to a new level.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Finally got around to watching this.

Holy fuck Aquafina (however absurd way she spells it) is just the fucking worst. This movie is actually not bad at all, quite enjoyable, if you put a fucking muzzle on that bitch. Really, the humor tone in general is bad, but Christ, Awkwahfeenah takes it to a new level.
Have to include ghetto in every movie, even one with an asian theme. :rolleyes:

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I liked this more than I thought I would. The water bottle voice actor was fine.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database