Re-Live the 80's

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I had some bitchin' all white Bugle Boy pants with numerous velcro pockets all over them that I rocked during high school. I cringe just thinking about that now.

Nostalgia makes me reflect more favorably on a lot of the things from the 80s than they probably really were, but it did seem like a great time when I was growing up. And about 90% of my playlists are still 80s metal/hair bands. I'd rather listen to stuff that I absolutely HATED in the 80s now than most of the current music. For example, I couldn't stand Duran Duran, they were a bunch of "posers" to those of us into Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Slayer, etc. Now...eh, not so bad! Definitely better than anything on the R&B charts.

The biggest thing that I remember fondly about the 80s is that we still fucking went outside to do shit. Yeah the 80s got kids into video games and computers, but I'd still drop them in a second to go play football in the middle of the street. Not to mention telling your parents you were going outside to play at 10am, and their response being, "Be back before it is dark." No concern about child molesters or drive-by shootings, and if we fell off of our bikes and hit our heads, if we survived we probably got slapped upside the head for being stupid.

Terrible wardrobes and hairstyles aside, yeah the 80s was a pretty fucking good time to be a kid.
amen brother

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm still upset about astr0's retarded comment about music. It's to be expected from him, but I can't help but Internet rage over it a little bit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
some of the fashions i saw on stuff like MTV i had never seen in my own neighborhood. everyone still wore regular jeans and shirts. does anyone remember pro wrestling from the 80s? sgt slaughter straight up whipping bob backlund with his riding crop, larry zybyzko demolishing his former trainer bruno samartino with a metal chair, rowdy, roddy piper calling Mr T all kinds of racist names when he had him in piper's pit, including saying his family was a bunch of porch monkeys.

then there was that whole cindy lauper/capt lou albano feud. which was hilarious because she obviously was friendly with the guy to include him on all her music videos, when she guested friday night videos which also started airing pro wrestling on the same network saturday nights, she claimed that capt lou forced her to include him in the videos because he would just show up and threaten everyone if he wasnt in them. lol. stupid me i almost bought it. good times good times.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I'm still upset about astr0's retarded comment about music. It's to be expected from him, but I can't help but Internet rage over it a little bit.
Most of the pop music now makes me cringe, just as it did in the '80s. I'm sure there are bands now that make actual music, but I haven't heard any because I don't go looking for it.

I think it's generational preferences.

I remember rocking out to Zeppelin in my room when I was about 15-16, and my Dad coming in to the room saying 'Turn that spear-chucking music down!'. I used to HATE the country music that we were forced to listen to in the car, but now I look back on it compared to 'new' country, and find it much better.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
come at me brah, when was the last time you felt anything about a song and can remember a moment in your life when that song is played?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
come at me brah, when was the last time you felt anything about a song and can remember a moment in your life when that song is played?
A statement like this just comes across as "my life sucks now but 80s tunes bring me back to the good days".

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
A statement like this just comes across as "my life sucks now but 80s tunes bring me back to the good days".
A statement like yours say you cant answer my question. I still enjoy music even new music just rarely and i have no emotional connection to what i am listening to.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
A statement like yours say you cant answer my question. I still enjoy music even new music just rarely and i have no emotional connection to what i am listening to.
I'm guessing it had more to do with being young/impressionable/hormones than anything. Everyone remembers music from their teens cause they were having fun, new experiences, sex, drugs, etc.

Whenever discussing music with someone it's always something like "Man we used to rock out to this song while getting blazed/blowjobs in the high school parking lot 15 years ago." You never hear "Man I was rocking out to this song 15 weeks ago while I was making a sweet pivot chart in excel for my bosses powerpoint presentation." Life gets so boring once you start settling down that we probably just lose the ability to care/associate music like we did when we were kids.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I'm guessing it had more to do with being young/impressionable/hormones than anything. Everyone remembers music from their teens cause they were having fun, new experiences, sex, drugs, etc.

Whenever discussing music with someone it's always something like "Man we used to rock out to this song while getting blazed/blowjobs in the high school parking lot 15 years ago." You never hear "Man I was rocking out to this song 15 weeks ago while I was making a sweet pivot chart in excel for my bosses powerpoint presentation." Life gets so boring once you start settling down that we probably just lose the ability to care/associate music like we did when we were kids.
This is the internet, there's no room for logic here.

I remember getting a little stinky pinky while Foreigner was playing 'Urgent' in the background. Good times.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I remember getting a little stinky pinky while Foreigner was playing 'Urgent' in the background. Good times.
Carl on Aqua Teen Hunger Force has some similar memories tied to "Urgent". One of my favorite Carl lines. I will now always picture you as Carl.

Go to 1:13 for the exchange.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Carl on Aqua Teen Hunger Force has some similar memories tied to "Urgent". One of my favorite Carl lines. I will now always picture you as Carl.

Go to 1:13 for the exchange.
That fucking cracked me up. I haven't watched much of that show. Thanks for the laugh +1

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole

I still associate certain songs with various video games/years/classes to this day thanks to the 80s/90s. Head like a Hole = Class of 1999 = the movie that was playing in the background while I played Oregon Trail for the first time on an apple 2e. These days, I will totally admit to bands being superior technically (The Ocean's Pelagial is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any of Pantera's 90s albums that aren't Vulgar Display of Power) but for the straight feels, late 80s/early 90s music just hits that itch for the early 30s/late 20s set.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider

Best Scene, Best Song, Best Episode...............Best Show
The best part of this was how left field it was. The whole episode was this awkward, painfully bad comedy routine from the "crazy" ex cop that Crockett totally bought into and they spend the show searching for this bad guy that got away (the corpse in wall) whose capture the loony ex cop was supposedly obsessed with. Really he was just hunting down the last bits of the guy's organization before confessing everything.

The series is full of episodes like these. Where everything is all bright and happy and MTV and then the ending is what the fuck. It quickly gets ridiculous how often the person they are trying to protect gets killed or otherwise fucked over. People remember it for the pastel colors and soundtracks but forget how dark the show was.

As a kid it was my favorite "grown up" show. A-Team, Knight Rider and all that stuff was fun but even at 8 or 9 years old Miami Vice was my favorite.

Also it's funny as hell to watch now to see all these b-list movie actors show up as guest stars. Except when you spend the show trying to figure out wtf they are.

I enjoyed the 80's, graduated in '83. Traveled all over the pacific in the navy. Good music, wouldn't say the best, there's some really good metal out these days. But definitely worth remembering