Reading Rainbow Kickstarter

spronk

FPS noob
the irony is that watching reading rainbow would have helped chuck understand reading rainbow, its a total catch-44 (from the famous movie, catcher in the dirty harry)

Jait

Molten Core Raider
5 million dollar stretch goal should be Data and Worf reading for the kids.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
3.2M so far. Guess people give all their money to preachers on Sundays as backing took a huge drop today, comparatively.
Backing for the mug, me. I'd get a T-shirt, but I have a feeling bunch of hipster kids who know nothing about it will start wearing them.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
im happy i missed the reading rainbow generation. i learned how to read with my mom using flash cards when i was 4. schools dont really care about teaching kids anyway, its just there to keep you out of trouble until mommy and daddy get out of work.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Was never about learning how to read it was making kids WANT to read.
my parents encouraged me to read, i got books from them and other relatives as presents. my aunt sent me a set of the narnia books and all the encyclopedia brown mysteries. my dad saved all his kid books and gave them to me (mike mulligan and his steam shovel ftw!) and when watching movies would point out in the credits that it was based on a book. my mom had her flash cards etc. i guess in today's world there isnt a whole lot of reason to read a book anymore, but back in the dinosaur days of the 70s, books were still an awesome thing.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
i was before this shows timetoo, so i really dont know how RR helped kids read and how schools are using this to teach kids to read instead of the teachers themselves. its pretty fucking pathetic that our school system is such a shitpile when we need a tv show to do what they can not.
It shows

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
my parents encouraged me to read, i got books from them and other relatives as presents. my aunt sent me a set of the narnia books and all the encyclopedia brown mysteries. my dad saved all his kid books and gave them to me (mike mulligan and his steam shovel ftw!) and when watching movies would point out in the credits that it was based on a book. my mom had her flash cards etc. i guess in today's world there isnt a whole lot of reason to read a book anymore, but back in the dinosaur days of the 70s, books were still an awesome thing.
what line of work are you in astrocreep?

iannis

Musty Nester
Jack and Jill went up the hill
to have a little fun
Stupid Jill forgot her pill
And now they have a son

iannis

Musty Nester
Jack and Jill went up the hill
each with a buck and a quarter
Jill came down with two-fifty

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
im happy i missed the reading rainbow generation. i learned how to read with my mom using flash cards when i was 4. schools dont really care about teaching kids anyway, its just there to keep you out of trouble until mommy and daddy get out of work.
You're 50+?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You're 50+?
frown.png

Vaclav

And you had Encyclopedia Brown as a child? If you're 75 they first came out when you were 25.

Narnia would've started in your LATE childhood (early teens) - which is way past RR's demographic which is more 4-8 or so.

And flashcards were first popularized in the US in the 1970's (although they have existed for a VERY long time).

Things don't add up. I'm pretty sure you were in the demographic and just are vainly attempting to deny it.

And Mike Mulligan was printed the same year as you would've been born (1939) so I seriously doubt it was a childhood hand me down from your father if you were in fact 75.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
And you had Encyclopedia Brown as a child? If you're 75 they first came out when you were 25.

Narnia would've started in your LATE childhood (early teens) - which is way past RR's demographic which is more 4-8 or so.

And flashcards were first popularized in the US in the 1970's (although they have existed for a VERY long time).

Things don't add up. I'm pretty sure you were in the demographic and just are vainly attempting to deny it.
dude i was born in 71, im just joshing you. my aunt gave weird presents, when she found out how much i liked the encyclopedia brown books she sent me the complete unabridged sherlock holmes mysteries. its a gigantic book with olde english words i couldnt really understand at 8 years old.

Vaclav

That was my presumption - thus you were right around the demographic, close enough you should've been familiar with it at least. (12 yrs old when RR started)

Not to mention you being a Sci Fi person not knowing one of the most prominent actor from STNG's history seems bizarre.

It's like the rare time you hear someone say "What's Disney?" or some other eponymous thing, RR was fricking huge.