Ready Player One

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What if it was secretly Kubricks biopic.
giphy.gif

Truly the man is a master.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Theres nothing more uninteresting than a main character with infinite plot armor like the fat nerd in Ready Player One had zzzz

I'd definitely go see this though since the whole oasis thing was a cool concept, albeit nothing new

Antithesis

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Just read it... I agree the book is flawed.. I fucking hated the first time the main character interacted with the antagonist, that entire scene was awful, but the book has an undeniable 'heart' to it. Something tells me the author has spent some time interacting online with overly self conscious geek girls though, that part rang true and helped carry me past some of the more really cringe worthy stuff.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, this book was rough. I had a long road trip or I probably wouldn't have bothered finishing it after the first couple hours of the audio book.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I got this book for xmas from a close friend who noticed that James Halliday and I share WAAAYY too many things in common. Born in the summer of 1972, Atari for Xmas in 1979, Adventure on of my favorite games that I played over and over, D&D as main path to social interaction, Latin in High School, etc. I knew that the author had to be also born in 1972 because there are just things in the novel that you would only be tuned into if you not only grew up in the 80s, but were of just the right age when they happened.

i think it gets most of its credit from how completely 80s it is, but also because as weirdly depressing as this particular dystopia is, it certainly seems more plausible than the Hunger Games or any of that line of Teenage fantasy ilk.

spronk

FPS noob
I thought RPO was ok and look forward to the movie, but I really, really wouldn't read the next book the author wrote - Armada. Its really terrible. One decade later (90s) in nostalgia, and is just a straight up ripoff of Last Starfighter but very poorly written.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
God damn guys pretty harsh. I judge most fiction on how fast I plow through the book vs how fast I stop reading it. Ready Player One was great. I mean it wasn't Asimov or anything but come on, it was pretty damn fun if you lived through the 80's.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Maybe that's the disconnect for me and explains my inability to get past the terrible writing - I was born in 85.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The best part was listing things we liked 30 years ago. The worst part was the writing and characters and story and dialogue.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I thought RPO was ok and look forward to the movie, but I really, really wouldn't read the next book the author wrote - Armada. Its really terrible. One decade later (90s) in nostalgia, and is just a straight up ripoff of Last Starfighter but very poorly written.
The worst thing is how forced the nostalgia in Armada is. RPO might've gone a little overboard with the 80's references, but they actually worked since they were integral to the plot and moved it forward. In Armada, it's like someone is learning a new language so they keep trying to inject the latest words they learned into every conversation. There's really just no point to a majority of it and it's so cringey that it makes me wonder if Cline will end up being a one-trick pony.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
TJ Miller will play i-R0k in Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One
Release date update: March 30, 2018
Steven Spielberg has found himself the perfect griefer in none other than Deadpool and Silicon Valley star TJ Miller. According to The Hollywood Reporter, TJ Miller will play an online troll who goes by the username i-R0k

rrr_img_135060.jpg

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Good choice. I can totally see him saying: "If I didn't spend so much time offline, getting laid I'd probably know just as much worthless shit as you two do"

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm halfway through this book and I must say I don't care for it so far, and I doubt anything will turn it around. It's page after page of geek cutler 80s kid pandering.

"So there I was playing my .... .... ATARI 2600!!! ...." *Geeks start screaming and applauding wildly"

Combined with the writing style of a teenage fanfic writer.

I bet this could actually be improved by turning it into a movie. We'll see.