Real Estate Agents - Anyone have this career?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I've lived in Hawaii a little over a year now, and I haven't seemed to find my niche. I've made friends with plenty of people out here, but haven't gotten my footing as far as a career goes. Ultimately, it lies on the fact that I don't want to go through school all over again (even though I stopped after graduating high school). I've been employed for 2 decades now, and I'm just looking for something that pays well very quickly. I know, it's a shitty way to look at the world, but at least I've understood that about myself. That said, since moving here, I've taken a few "middle tier" jobs. Neither of which require education. The first of which was a retail sales job for toilets/bathroom fixtures. In my "past life", I always did company sales. But I really excel at retail sales because I can connect with people. They want more than just the lowest price and that's it. You want something you "feel good" about, and I can provide that.

When I lost that job for being unavailable every moment when the positions schedule changed, I looked for anything else. I'm currently doing construction. The pay is there, but it's back breaking. I'm filthy every day and I sweat my ass off from the moment I leave the house until when I return home again. This is a great temporary position, but I'm looking for something more. And I think I've found it in the form of real estate.

Hawaii is an interesting market. Sure, the median single family house sells for $795k, but that isn't the only reason. Because this is such a tourist location, there's an enormous market in property management. People own property out here for the sole purpose of renting it to others. And the state doesn't allow off-island rentals without someone on the island managing the property. So there is a sure thing in this market. You just need to be willing to do the work and make the connections that could carry you to greatness. Something where you are your own boss. You aren't begging for handouts in the form of raises from another person. It's entirely based on your own ability.

With all that in mind, I just began taking real estate school. To become a licensed real estate agent out here, you need to take a 60 hour course from an accredited school. Pass their final. Then finally pass the state issued real estate test. It's not a very large financial investment, which is why there are so many real estate agents out there. Probably $1200 after all is said and done. And the state of Hawaii has around 30,000 licensed agents. A little more info is that last year, roughly 5,000 agents (the active ones... Many people have a license that sits virtually dormant because they're doing it as a side job) handled approximately $2.4 billion in property sales. Granted, an agent only receives 3% of this at the most. Usually it's in the 1.5% range. But the property sales don't take rental prices into consideration. Unfortunately, I don't have any figures on rental numbers.

But yeah. I think this is a career that I would like to jump into. I'm a people person that can talk with anyone. I'm professional. I have my lazy side, but I think (or at least hope) that working for myself will steer me past that to the bigger picture.

Are any of the members of this board real estate agents? Or possibly brokers (broker is an agent that doesn't have to work under the guidance of someone else, but they need 3 years experience to become that and a little more schooling)? I'd love to start a conversation about what has worked for you in the past and what has failed. Kind of a learning opportunity. I'm in the process of listening to a few audio books by Gary Keller about real estate. I hope this is a good start.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

I had a good friend from high school that did many random jobs and lots of IT stuff etc. he got married and had a kid and started doing real estate.

He got an agency to fund his training, tests and certification - he had to stay with them for 2 years in total from the sign on, so the first year-ish was training, testing and getting the cert- then 1 year basically being the owners pet puppy bitch - he got very few listings from the agency "pool" but still was able to use the agency for marketing, backup, insurance etc. so it is give and take if you go that route or something similar.

He moved to a sister agency and has decent sales- few homes a quarter plus his assist $ he gets for doing paperwork or whatever in the office. He does it because he is able to be a stay at home dad, once his kid gets into school I suspect he will change careers or increase his moving up "the ranks" more.

It is a real career and there are many ways to approach it, I wish you luck. If you are indeed a people peson and enjoy traveling and showing and doing open houses and catering to the whim of however many customers you take on at one time- you should be golden :)

Good luck out there!

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
There are shit tons of people I know with Real Estate licenses that have never sold a house.

Hawaii has massive competition for listings. Unless you are a hot local chick who can speak both english and pidgin with equal fluency you will never make it.

You might be able to do commercial and or property manager. But you aint gonna close houses. A Hot Hapa girl who went to a Hawaii private school is gonna slap on too much make up push her tits into a business suit and not break a sweat slaughtering you.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There are shit tons of people I know with Real Estate licenses that have never sold a house.

Hawaii has massive competition for listings. Unless you are a hot local chick who can speak both english and pidgin with equal fluency you will never make it.

You might be able to do commercial and or property manager. But you aint gonna close houses. A Hot Hapa girl who went to a Hawaii private school is gonna slap on too much make up push her tits into a business suit and not break a sweat slaughtering you.
looks like 1 older hawaiian girl and the rest are white ppl, white ppl, white ppl.
Maui, HI REALTORS® & Real Estate Agents - realtor.com® in maui.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Who cares what their real estate agent looks like?? Huh?

My friend does it, in fact he helped us buy our house and has sold a ton but he hasn't been able to quit his full-time job. (not Hawaii)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Who cares what their real estate agent looks like?? Huh?

My friend does it, in fact he helped us buy our house and has sold a ton but he hasn't been able to quit his full-time job. (not Hawaii)
When I looked on Zillow and ZipRealty the only ads I clicked were hot women.

When I actually started talking to a realtor I picked a balding dude named Rad and he did amazing.

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
2 friends are real estate agents. 1 is a retired LtCol who we used to buy. Super honest and practical, which is nice. Other is one of the top agents in the DC area and makes bank (he's jewish). I'll let @Mario Speedwagon provide further commentary

Vinen

God is dead
You really need to know the market to provide value. I don't think this is possible after 1 year.

The only reason I find my Real Estate agent valuable is.

1.) She knows and can explain details about current and paste neighborhood state.
2.) She understands old houses. My wife and I are likely putting an offer in on a house built it 1860 (actual) today. It's had significant renovation but there is always some qwerks.
3.) She understands what my wife and I are looking for more than we do. She has explained clearly to my wife and I why certain houses would not suit our lifestyle (location).

Agents that just act as a proxy between sellers and buyers are useless. You need to offer a value-add service and being the proxy is not that.

My agent has 40+ years of experience in the Cambridge, MA area (she is based out of Harvard Square). She is a fixture in the community and every year we find more people in our circle of friends who had an excellent experience using her as buyers agent (This will be out second house).

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Most real estate licences are held by desperate housewives who need to get out of the house to keep from drinking themselves to death on white wine or driving their husbands away. All of my real estate knowledge came from the movie "American Beauty".

Mine was a balding dude named Chuck. Balding dudes make the deals

This is great news for Xarpolis.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I was balding. Well, I still would be if I grew my hair back. But as it stands, I've shaved my head for the last 6 years.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
My opinion is you need to have at least 2 of:

1) Connections
2) Extensive Knowledge of Real Estate
3) Photogenic female form

Doesn't seem like you have any :(

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea my old white realtor, is just an old white guy, but he's got experience and he knows all the ppl associated in the industry, (contractors, roofers, inspectors, etc)

he told me some info on a previous property, cuz he was volunteering w/ another realtor w/ a soup truck or whatever.

So seems like you really gotta put yourself out there.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Wife and I are planning to get real estate licenses as a side gig for now. But in a few years when she's fully vested in her current company, she might want to quit and do real estate full time. I talked to one of my former real estate agents about it, and it turns out she's just joined a new agency called EXP that has a pretty sweet deal. $50 a month for a tech fee, and you keep 80% of your commissions until you've paid the company 16 grand (I think) in a year. Problem is, it sounds a lot like a direct marketing amway type thing. If you sign people up under you, you get a taste of their commissions before they get sent to EXP. So when we get our licenses we may do that just to get a cheap, no hassle tech support and office space without anyone breathing down our necks to make sales.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Not for nothing too, but every Yacht broker or IG model in a major city with 500k-5m followers has her real estate license. Its one of the legal hustles that everyone tries to get out of the 9-5 paper-pushing grind.

I'd guess its what you make of it. It seems an awful lot like being a lawyer without a mentor in 2017. Same saturation, same competition.

• 1Solidarity

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Its one of the legal hustles that everyone tries to get out of the 9-5 paper-pushing grind.

It does seem to be a profession people who are fed up with office life and have no other real skills get into. I know quite a few people who tried it because they were post-college and un/under employed and said "fuck it I'll sell houses." Unfortunately it isn't like selling real estate is some secret profession. There is an absolute ton of competition. You have to really grind and grind to get a client base and a reputation. No one is going to give some rando person who just took a 60 hour class a shot at selling their 1m+ house. It just isn't gunna happen. I imagine Hawaii is even worse than most places for competition on agents.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The opinions of most of you are "If you're new, just give up." Everyone in real estate that is experienced HAD TO START SOMEWHERE. They weren't born with a real estate license and 30-60 friends that buy and sell houses on the regular. I fully realize that this is a job that will take a lot of work, but it isn't one that follows the typical 9-5 schedule. In some situations it may, but you typically work nights while trying to be a buying agent. At least if you're trying to be a buying/selling agent. There's also the opportunity of property management, which also requires dedication and time commitment, but this type of job isn't an independent contractor type. You receive a base salary as well as commissions on properties (you will manage) that you bring to the firm.

Nothing in life is easy. But you shouldn't give up just because other people have done it longer and have an advantage.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The opinions of most of you are "If you're new, just give up." Everyone in real estate that is experienced HAD TO START SOMEWHERE.

Have you googled this much? Sure, it's doable like anything else, but most people don't realize that it's not a job at all. You're basically running your own business. You're fully responsible for pouring people into the top of your funnel, and in the early years that's 90+% of your job. People tend to think the bottom of their funnel is what the job is, but it's really the smallest part. Most people don't want a job doing marketing, or they'd just get a job doing marketing. As a new RE agent who doesn't want to suck, you'll be doing a full time marketing job on top of everything else, and you'll probably be doing it literally for free for a year or two until you make enough connections to starting actually bringing in clients.

Have you done your local research? How many local agents have you talked to? Go have a few show you a couple of houses, see what they're good at, what they're terrible at, etc. The opportunity as a RE agent is that most of them are shit. The bar to beat is very low. However, most people don't really shop around for agents, so it's on you to sell people on why you're not shit. People may click on the perky 20 year old's ad, but once you make contact, it shouldn't be the hardest thing to sell someone on why you're a more reasonable choice to manage a massive financial transaction for them.

If you're ok with working like a dog for a couple of years for zero money doing your own marketing and winning in the spots most agents suck at, then you could make a reasonable go at it. (Of course, working like a dog is also a trap because its easy to feel like you're working like crazy without actually accomplishing anything that pushes you forward.)

• 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I've been listening to a few audio books, and they're fascinating. I know this career is 100% about marketing, even if you're in the industry forever. You're reaching out to x many people who have never heard of you, just to give them a name to think about if something ever happens.

Branding is a strange thing. Shoes, Beer, Soda, Cigarettes... The typical person can think of 7 brands. That's it, even if you know more, you can really only think of 7. With realtors, you can MAYBE think of 2. So you need to invest a fair amount of money into marketing for the sole purpose of making your name one of the top two people think of. A good idea is to offer small gifts ($25 gift cards) for ANY referral you receive. If it turns out to be a sale or not, always give a gift. Truthfully, a real estate agent isn't legally allowed to give referral commissions to anyone that doesn't already have a license. So you can bypass this by giving them to everyone for anything. But the cap is set at $25. And it can't be cash, just a gift card. Or movie tickets. Shit like that.

So your job as a realtor is to put your name in the head of others that don't know you.
Once you build up a base of people that you know (phone or in person), they go into a different category. A different style of marketing. It's strange, but it's true. This business is entirely about doing cold calls and being able to take rejection.