Recomended Reading Thread

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looking for a new fantasy book/series to read. I've read most of the books already listed in this forum: Abercrombie, Cook, Malazan, Sanderson, Weeks, Robin Hobb, Jordan, Rothfuss, Lynch, Martin, and Bakker.

Favorite books to get an idea of what I like: Lords of Light (Zelazny), Chronicles of Amber(Zelazny), Everything by Sanderson so far, Malazan(Prefer Ericson).
you could try Richard k Morgan's land fit for hero's series. Warning main character is gay and author doesn't shy away from the graphic.. If you can get past that it is a good read.

Phaint_sl

shitlord
Just read "The Thief" by Megan Whalen Turner, which is part of a series. While it had almost no action, it was a good read. Going to start on the rest of the books in the series and I'll let you guys know if it gets epic.

VisualSilence_sl

shitlord
If you like espionage/military thrillers I highly recommend reading Vince Flynn's series about the main character Mitch Rapp. His first publishing was 'Term Limits' which is a good preface before starting the Rapp series. I compare these to the John Rain thrillers which are also a must read for any assassin lovers.

Fiddler

Lord Nagafen Raider
One series I would highly recommend that I haven't seen mentioned much is Daniel Suarez's Daemon and Freedom(TM), for anyone interested in the internet it has some great future tech and some brilliant concepts about distributed systems, wrapped in a creamy nougat fiction center.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
A few suggestions.

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman (supposedly kids books, definitely some mature subject matter...quick reads)
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (if you game this is pretty much a given...quick read)
The Exorcist by Peter Blatty (less like the movie based on it, more like Silence of the Lambs)
Armor by John Steakley
The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (some of the best sci-fi I've read)

Seventh

Golden Squire
Just finished AMOL and am hunting for some cool sci-fi. I've read all of Morgan and SA Corey's stuff - anyone have a solid recommendation in that same vein? Something like Leviathan Wakes would be great.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Just finished AMOL and am hunting for some cool sci-fi. I've read all of Morgan and SA Corey's stuff - anyone have a solid recommendation in that same vein? Something like Leviathan Wakes would be great.
Could give Alastair Reynolds, Peter F Hamiltion or David Weber a go. Just start with early Weber, he suffers from uneditable disease now and a lot of his books are like a collection of meeting minutes. Actually, even Stephen Donaldson's foray into space opera was very solid - give the gap series a bash.

dnL

Molten Core Raider
I use goodreads for 'to-get' list management, but their suggestions functionality is pretty terrible IMO, I've had much more success with Amazon recommendations. ( Part of the problem is that goodreads has a very extensive, but very shallow selection of reviews, so small numbers of people can drastically distort results ).
There's another site, LibraryThing, that has user recommendations for a lot of books, otherwise I'm sure it uses a similar algorithm to determine recommendations. I do prefer the overall site to Goodreads, though, so maybe a little bias.

Ender's Game, and Dune are two books that I heartily recommend in the sci-fi genre. Plausible, entertaining, and full of substance.

I also just recently read, for the first time, Neuromancer, by William Gibson. If you've seen Johnny Mnemonic or Hackers, you have a basic idea of some of the concepts in the book - GUI/navigation of a computer system; jacking into the brain; surgical, electronic implants to make people super-human or to increase brain storage capacity, etc. It was entertaining, and Gibson does write some nice prose. Nothing about cell phones, though...

velk

Trakanon Raider
I also just recently read, for the first time, Neuromancer, by William Gibson. If you've seen Johnny Mnemonic or Hackers, you have a basic idea of some of the concepts in the book - GUI/navigation of a computer system; jacking into the brain; surgical, electronic implants to make people super-human or to increase brain storage capacity, etc. It was entertaining, and Gibson does write some nice prose. Nothing about cell phones, though...
The weirdest contradiction for me for Neuromancer, was that it describes terrabytes of data flying around constantly, but still had 1MB of storage as something worth killing for. I had to wonder where those terrabytes of data were actually going.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm wondering...do we have our own GoodReads group already? Or did we have one before?
Someone made an FoH one I believe, might have been Grimlockk, I can't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure whomever made it said it isn't really being used, so we can either try to rename that one or just make a new Rerolled one. I'd be up for joining it because most of my friends are too dumb to read, or too lazy to make an account, so I've only got a few Goodreads friends
frown.png
Forever alone!

I say if someone wants to make one, go for it. Or I imagine I could, but I may not be as active about adding people as someone else, so let's see if anyone else wants to do it.

frown.png

totania_sl

shitlord
I greatly enjoyed the Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton. It's a two book series starting with Pandora's Star and ending with Judas Unchained. It's also semi-plausible sci-fi which I find fairly enjoyable.

The series is followed by the Void Trilogy. That one took a couple of reads before I really started to like it.

ffwrx_sl

shitlord
I like the James Rollins Sigma Force books. They are basically a Dan Brown and Clive Cussler combined type of book.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Robin Hobb's 4th book in her latest "elderlings" series is coming out this April. I'm looking forward to it. I've enjoyed all of her books... it seems that the more I learn about the world, the better the series becomes, just went back and started rereading assassin's apprentice, it's pretty amazing the things I pick up after having read the other 12 books set in that world.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I just started that series. WTF man. This shit is depressing. It's an unending litany of bad shit happening. The first book was OK, but book two is like 10x as depressing.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Has anyone read The Thousand Names by Django Wexler? Was browsing at the bookstore today, and this one sounded pretty interesting.