Red Dead Redemption 2

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So... I should pick up either an XboxOneX or a PS4Pro? Or merely my choice based on other games out for those systems?

Xbox One X has a true 4K experience without scaling. Apparently the HDR can be "Fixed" by turning it on, loading the game, returning to the Xbox menu, and opening the game again. PS4 Pro is 2K scaled up with an added visual filtering option. Regular PS4 is even less. I can definitely vouch for the X1X looking absolutely stunning.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So... I should pick up either an XboxOneX or a PS4Pro? Or merely my choice based on other games out for those systems?

Xbox1x provides a better experience for RDR2 for sure, but PS4 has the better selection of good exclusives. If you want to play any of those at all (you should. they're great), then the PS4 is the better option.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Finally picked up the game today. So far, I've only done the tutorial section in the Grizzlies and got down to the first proper camp, so I haven't seen the true meat of the game, but so far it's great. Even with a bog-standard PS4, the game looks amazing.

For anyone not liking the controls, or the camera, or whatever, a few days back I spotted this guide on reddit, and made all those changes as soon as the game gave me control (although I kept a little more aim assist than the guide recommended) and I've been liking the way everything feels.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone know if all the different horse gear you buy or craft has the same stats? I've mostly been using the special edition saddle and a couple of the ones from the trapper that come as a complete package, but wasn't sure if they were the same as buying saddle, stirrups, blankets, etc. individually from the stables. Sadly there's almost no info about horse gear in the guide at all.
To answer my own question here:

1. The special edition saddle is junk that has no stats whatsoever (bug? even the crappiest saddle has some bonuses).
2. Crafted saddles from the trapper have the best stats for stamina and health. However, you cannot use custom stirrups with them.
3. Saddles from the stable are the best overall choice if your horse is able to get benefits from the best stirrups (+2 to both speed and acceleration, also says +50% to something else but that doesn't actually appear to work). I chose the saddle in the middle of the list with +18% health core.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It’s a bit tedious, but I was able to reliably get cougars to spawn on the road where the trapper is close to the legendary buck. If you run from the north most point of the road to the south most point it takes about 30-45 sec. I got one cougar every 3-4 runs. I’ve got the buck trinket so 2 cougars were 3*, one was 2*. Lots of annoying snakes spawn alongside the road too so if you’re looking for snake skin that’s a pretty good spot.

Finally finished getting all the components to make Legend of the East satchel. I figured out that if you use the stage coach or train to fast travel then your horse follows you and doesn’t lose anything in its cargo (including any carcasses you have stowed on the rear and saddle sides). You’re almost always closer to a rail station than your camp so it’s a no brained if you need to get a carcass back to camp for an upgrade.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
It’s a bit tedious, but I was able to reliably get cougars to spawn on the road where the trapper is close to the legendary buck. If you run from the north most point of the road to the south most point it takes about 30-45 sec. I got one cougar every 3-4 runs. I’ve got the buck trinket so 2 cougars were 3*, one was 2*. Lots of annoying snakes spawn alongside the road too so if you’re looking for snake skin that’s a pretty good spot.

Finally finished getting all the components to make Legend of the East satchel. I figured out that if you use the stage coach or train to fast travel then your horse follows you and doesn’t lose anything in its cargo (including any carcasses you have stowed on the rear and saddle sides). You’re almost always closer to a rail station than your camp so it’s a no brained if you need to get a carcass back to camp for an upgrade.
I know non legendary carcasses will degrade, but do skins? I haven't started the satchel upgrades yet, don't want to get some perfect ones just to have them go to crap.

• 2Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I finished Chapter 3 last night, really enjoying the main story and a lot of the side stuff too.

I got to Saint-Denis and wasted like 1 hour buying new clothes at the tailor. :)

I went to the barber too and got a nice new look, that bugged out a few minutes later by having my short goatee grow into a full beard with a different style. That was weird an annoying.

So I get the mission where you're in Rhodes, going to meet the Grays for a job. It's you, Micah, Bill and Sean walking down the street, and all of a sudden "bang" Sean's head explode and all hell break loose as the Grays attack you, and there's major shootout in town.

I fully expected that some gang members would die by the end, but that came out of nowhere...and I was shocked, and felt loss at the death of Sean. The writing is so good, that you get to feel something for these characters, whether you like or dislike them, they are part of the gang, they are part of your dysfunctional family.

I was pissed off at the way he died, you know not in a moment of self sacrifice, or during the shootout itself. No he died shot in the head by cowards while he was just walking in the street, nothing noble about it.

Then you get back to camp, and the Braithwaite kidnapped Jack, the little kid. Even for these outlaws, kids are out of bounds, everyone gets together, all animosity toward each forgotten, they took the kid...the scene where they are all on horse back trotting down the lane to the Braithwaite's mansion was just awesome.

Then Dutch's speech about kid being out of bound, and the shootout that follows, just awesome sequence of events. Then the group leaves, and you see the mansion in fire in the background....totally awesome.

I wish I could have shot the old woman though.

The writing in this game is some of the best I've seen in a video game. The cutscenes cinematography is also absolutely spectacular.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I finished Chapter 3 last night, really enjoying the main story and a lot of the side stuff too.

I got to Saint-Denis and wasted like 1 hour buying new clothes at the tailor. :)

I went to the barber too and got a nice new look, that bugged out a few minutes later by having my short goatee grow into a full beard with a different style. That was weird an annoying.

So I get the mission where you're in Rhodes, going to meet the Grays for a job. It's you, Micah, Bill and Sean walking down the street, and all of a sudden "bang" Sean's head explode and all hell break loose as the Grays attack you, and there's major shootout in town.

I fully expected that some gang members would die by the end, but that came out of nowhere...and I was shocked, and felt loss at the death of Sean. The writing is so good, that you get to feel something for these characters, whether you like or dislike them, they are part of the gang, they are part of your dysfunctional family.

I was pissed off at the way he died, you know not in a moment of self sacrifice, or during the shootout itself. No he died shot in the head by cowards while he was just walking in the street, nothing noble about it.

Then you get back to camp, and the Braithwaite kidnapped Jack, the little kid. Even for these outlaws, kids are out of bounds, everyone gets together, all animosity toward each forgotten, they took the kid...the scene where they are all on horse back trotting down the lane to the Braithwaite's mansion was just awesome.

Then Dutch's speech about kid being out of bound, and the shootout that follows, just awesome sequence of events. Then the group leaves, and you see the mansion in fire in the background....totally awesome.

I wish I could have shot the old woman though.

The writing in this game is some of the best I've seen in a video game. The cutscenes cinematography is also absolutely spectacular.

During that sequence at the end of Chapter 3, after I felt fully immersed in the world is when I went... okay. I get it. I get the tedious shit, the long horse rides etc. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I get it. The last 3 or so missions in chapter 3 are as good as anything I've ever played in a game.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

If you already have both systems -- specifically an X and a Pro -- get it for X, its slightly better visually.
If you have an xbox and a ps4, get it on ps4, the stock xb1/xb1s is weaker than a ps4.
If you have neither console, get a ps4 or preferably a ps4 pro, the exclusive games on PS4 blow away the xbox catalog.

The game is definitely coming to PC in 2019, its already been leaked in internal data files and stuff including maybe a VR version.

BTW everyone is running an amazing deal on black friday for PS4, $199 gets you a slim PS4 with spider-man included. Target, gamestop, best buy, walmart, etc. Some of them accidently already put it up too I think. I don't know of any PS4 Pro deals yet for BF sadly, there will undoubtedly be some. Sony is selling the PS4 Pro bundle for $399 msrp which includes a Pro and RDR2, some retailers may discount that bundle a little bit on black friday.

I have played through to chapter 2 on both my X and PS4 Pro and honestly there isn't any difference the average user is gonna see, the X looks maybe slightly better but I'm 99% sure thats just me wanting to believe its the slightly more powerful system. Technically the X renders at a higher resolution.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So I haven't been able to play nearly as much as I have wanted to, like 20 or so hours. I also restarted once after I hit Chapter 2 and killed off some people that kinda fucked me over. Should finish up chapter 2 tonight. I did spend quite a bit of time tracking down and taming the white Arabian after I read about it sitting in a Dr office.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I know non legendary carcasses will degrade, but do skins? I haven't started the satchel upgrades yet, don't want to get some perfect ones just to have them go to crap.
All carcasses degrade but you can get a trinket that makes them never degrade. Legendary skins are impossible to lose. As soon as you have one, all associated rewards unlock (you’ll just miss out on the money from selling the pelt/carcass).

Pelts never degrade, but if they’re stowed on your horse and you die, you lose them. Definitely manually save before long trips if you have a stash of pelts you don’t want to lose. When you die it autosaves over your most recent save so those pelts are gone forever.

• 1Like

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
You guys are killing me. I have a regular PS4, is it worth trading it in and getting a Pro you think or is not that much of a diff? I do not have a 4k TV atm.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You'd only really be getting supersamping and a slightly more stable frame rate, which isn't really worth the couple hundred that upgrading would cost you.

• 1Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
You guys are killing me. I have a regular PS4, is it worth trading it in and getting a Pro you think or is not that much of a diff? I do not have a 4k TV atm.

If you do not have a 4k TV, do not get a Pro.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Are we done talking about HDR and 4k yet? Can we be done with that?

How do I unlock the other guns at the general merchant catalog? Just story progression?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Are we done talking about HDR and 4k yet? Can we be done with that?

How do I unlock the other guns at the general merchant catalog? Just story progression?

HDR wasn't mentioned and he had a legitimate question. You're able to just skip past discussions you don't want to take part in.

Guns are gated by story and some looting opportunities AFAIK.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That wasn't aimed at him, it was aimed at the last 10 pages of discussion.

What does "some looting opportunities" mean, or does that have spoilers?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Speaking of HDR and 1080p

That wasn't aimed at him, it was aimed at the last 10 pages of discussion.

What does "some looting opportunities" mean, or does that have spoilers?

I think I've unlocked guns by looting them from enemies, although I'm not sure if that extended past unique named guns.

• 2Like