Red Dead Redemption 2

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
RDO could be fun but the economy is the most ridiculous fucking thing I've seen in a while. Jesus. Prices have been multiplied from single player and enemies drop 1% of the cash. Grinding for hours to get a basic gun is about as fun as cancer. Hopefully that shit gets retuned a lot before the beta's over. Don't see this being very enjoyable otherwise.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
RDO could be fun but the economy is the most ridiculous fucking thing I've seen in a while. Jesus. Prices have been multiplied from single player and enemies drop 1% of the cash. Grinding for hours to get a basic gun is about as fun as cancer. Hopefully that shit gets retuned a lot before the beta's over. Don't see this being very enjoyable otherwise.

I'm guessing it will. I remember cash in early GTA5 online was a nightmare. But once you started getting the heists done etc and grinding missions/multiplayer stuff, the cash came much easier. I hope they do kinda long story based heist/robbery mission stuff in RDR2 in the same way. I did enjoy those. Maybe build up plots/ranches or whatever, too. Ala Marston.

Speaking of Marston, anyone else a bit frustrated that blackwater/southwest part of the map is hardly utilized in single player? Even in the epilogues? I was really surprised that after everything was done. I still hadn't even explored more than 30% of that region. Rest of the map was cleared and explored because of missions. I didn't intentionally have to explore there just to uncover it for the most part.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm guessing it will. I remember cash in early GTA5 online was a nightmare. But once you started getting the heists done etc and grinding missions/multiplayer stuff, the cash came much easier. I hope they do kinda long story based heist/robbery mission stuff in RDR2 in the same way. I did enjoy those. Maybe build up plots/ranches or whatever, too. Ala Marston.

Speaking of Marston, anyone else a bit frustrated that blackwater/southwest part of the map is hardly utilized in single player? Even in the epilogues? I was really surprised that after everything was done. I still hadn't even explored more than 30% of that region. Rest of the map was cleared and explored because of missions. I didn't intentionally have to explore there just to uncover it for the most part.

I am hoping this is the case and not a way to encourage currency purchasing on the store front. Although I do know cash is different from gold so maybe they will bump up cash intake.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm guessing it will. I remember cash in early GTA5 online was a nightmare. But once you started getting the heists done etc and grinding missions/multiplayer stuff, the cash came much easier.
Early GTA Online was all about duping cars and selling them for millions of dollars. Certain missions and car racing in general gave decent money for those who didn't want to cheat (except whenever you played in an open lobby there was a pretty good chance someone would dump a shitload of cash on you anyway). Heists were repeatedly delayed to the point where people started thinking they were never happening, but finally released like a year and a half after the start of GTAO. During that time, R* consistently nerfed the shit out of every remotely viable way to make money without opening up your wallet for Shark cards. RDR Online seems to be using the end result of the ridiculous money printing machine GTAO turned into as the baseline.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Played a couple hours online. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Despite there being a lot more real people in it, the world feels stale and dead. Whereas i don't mind riding around in single player because there's so much to come across, it feels endless here. And I never seem to be in the same spot as other players. I find them on my map, set a waypoint, and by the time I get there, they've moved on. I know there are mini games to play and stuff, but I just hoped the free roam would be more interesting. Maybe I'll give it a little more time

Also, the frame rate blows online

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm

Hear, hear. I was 100% sure the final mission in Chapter 6 would be Blackwater.

All throughout the campaign it's "Blackwater" this, and "Blackwater" that. It's always on your map, taunting you. "The money's in Blackwater!" -- it would've made sense thematically for the gang to return to where all the insanity first began. Maybe find out exactly what happened on that riverboat that nobody shuts up about. Have a final showdown with Dutch over the truth.

I never bothered to explore that entire area partly because it was always DOA, and partly because I kept waiting for a mission to open up there... but it never came. Super disappointing.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
And when you do explore the New Austin areas, there's hardly anything to do. I think I found one town with a vengeful Sheriff who gives out bounties, but that's pretty much it. A huge, massive part of the map with nothing going on. Hopefully that's where a lot of the DLC will take place. It was nice seeing the desert environments again.

Anyone come across that guy looking for Gavin? What was that all about?

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I could see them doing a modified rdr 1 as a dlc, modified to include the new territories and the characters that carried over to the epilogue. Sadie’s proposed travel business could open all kinds of side mission opportunities and a potential fast travel system.

After that they should release an Undead Nightmare DLC that incorporates the entire game world.

And by “I could see” I mean with my eyes closed as I dream of a better world.

Edit: something they need to address in Online is why the fuck they abandoned the hair and facial hair growth system for derpy looking costume staches and beards.

The other thing is, unless I am misunderstanding how the core system works, they are going to end up with a world full of fat people riding fat horses.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Hear, hear. I was 100% sure the final mission in Chapter 6 would be Blackwater.

All throughout the campaign it's "Blackwater" this, and "Blackwater" that. It's always on your map, taunting you. "The money's in Blackwater!" -- it would've made sense thematically for the gang to return to where all the insanity first began. Maybe find out exactly what happened on that riverboat that nobody shuts up about. Have a final showdown with Dutch over the truth.

I never bothered to explore that entire area partly because it was always DOA, and partly because I kept waiting for a mission to open up there... but it never came. Super disappointing.

But Guarma!

I really liked a lot about the game, and there’s some really great things about it but the masterpiece moniker is just too easily thrown around by some people.

It’s really good, great even. But they fucked up too many things to be considered a masterpiece.

Brad2770

It’s really good, great even. But they fucked up too many things to be considered a masterpiece.

Im a Rockstar fanboy, so there is definitely bias from my side, but could you give examples?

As for the disappointment that the old RDR areas weren’t used, I think it’s wonderful that they are there. A lot of good memories in those areas. Seeing them in 4K has been a delight. If I had to do any of those areas with Arther, I would have felt they were being lazy. If you really want to play those areas, fire up RDR again. Plenty of things to do. The game is still a fantastic game with an amazing story line.

I think it was done well. Hell, my kid stopped playing Fallout 76 to watch me play because he said the dialogue was done so well, he felt like he was watching a movie.

Anyways, I understand you can’t win them all, but this game has been done well. Even with its “problems”, it’s still leaps and bounds beyond other games. H:ZD is the only game I think came close and there are things I feel it was lacking vs. RDR2.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Im a Rockstar fanboy, so there is definitely bias from my side, but could you give examples?

As for the disappointment that the old RDR areas weren’t used, I think it’s wonderful that they are there. A lot of good memories in those areas. Seeing them in 4K has been a delight. If I had to do any of those areas with Arther, I would have felt they were being lazy. If you really want to play those areas, fire up RDR again. Plenty of things to do. The game is still a fantastic game with an amazing story line.

I think it was done well. Hell, my kid stopped playing Fallout 76 to watch me play because he said the dialogue was done so well, he felt like he was watching a movie.

Anyways, I understand you can’t win them all, but this game has been done well. Even with its “problems”, it’s still leaps and bounds beyond other games. H:ZD is the only game I think came close and there are things I feel it was lacking vs. RDR2.

The mechanics/controls - I got used to them but they're clunky and stiff af. It's just like GTA etc but other games are doing it better, AC:O for example.

The story - Just one more heist. I rolled my eyes every time I'd start a mission with a new character and then Dutch pops in...oh nevermind Reverend Swanson, I'm going on a heist with Dutch.

Blackwater - It just got pointed out how disappointing that there was no conclusion there. Why? Weird foreshadowing of something that never ends up happening.

Guarma - Terrible interruption in pacing and completely pointless to the narrative. Nothing you do there or the characters that were affected have any bearing on the main story.

Cores - Why? What's the point of this unnecessary JRPG complication?

Challenges - Needed better integration with the missions and ruined by the sequential nature.

Those are my main gripes with it. There are other little details here and there that bug me but I'm willing to look past.

Like I said, it's a great game. But there are too many areas that prevent it from being a masterpiece. That's just my opinion though.

• 1Like

Brad2770

The mechanics/controls - I got used to them but they're clunky and stiff af. It's just like GTA etc but other games are doing it better, AC:O for example.

The story - Just one more heist. I rolled my eyes every time I'd start a mission with a new character and then Dutch pops in...oh nevermind Reverend Swanson, I'm going on a heist with Dutch.

Blackwater - It just got pointed out how disappointing that there was no conclusion there. Why? Weird foreshadowing of something that never ends up happening.

Guarma - Terrible interruption in pacing and completely pointless to the narrative. Nothing you do there or the characters that were affected have any bearing on the main story.

Cores - Why? What's the point of this unnecessary JRPG complication?

Challenges - Needed better integration with the missions and ruined by the sequential nature.

Those are my main gripes with it. There are other little details here and there that bug me but I'm willing to look past.

Like I said, it's a great game. But there are too many areas that prevent it from being a masterpiece. That's just my opinion though.

I will agree, I did dislike returning to camp, thinking I was going to help one of the regular people, only to have Dutch snatch me away.

Blackwater was resolved. Not like I expected or preferred, but it was resolved. I will agree I had also hoped for a successful single player Heist/Robbery.

Guards I had already stated what I felt. We got Mexico without going to Mexico. Hell, we got to sink a ship with a cannon. Plus, that was the first part where we truly saw Dutch slipping into his madness. I thought it fit. I liked it.

I like the Cores. I think the Deadeye core could work a tad differently, but I do like how they work.

I never really mess with Challenges or 100% completion, so I can’t really comment here.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I will agree, I did dislike returning to camp, thinking I was going to help one of the regular people, only to have Dutch snatch me away.

Blackwater was resolved. Not like I expected or preferred, but it was resolved. I will agree I had also hoped for a successful single player Heist/Robbery.

Guards I had already stated what I felt. We got Mexico without going to Mexico. Hell, we got to sink a ship with a cannon. Plus, that was the first part where we truly saw Dutch slipping into his madness. I thought it fit. I liked it.

I like the Cores. I think the Deadeye core could work a tad differently, but I do like how they work.

I never really mess with Challenges or 100% completion, so I can’t really comment here.

Speaking of the deadeye core, particularly it's regeneration of Deadeye, i could never figure it out.

Seemed like I could be at a full DE core and never actually regain lost meter. Where Health/Stamina automatically start filling up no big deal.

Main reason this bugs me is a LOT of the missions have that requirement to not use healing items, so I like to make sure im full up before I start a mission. But if I burn through it all mid mission I'm fubar on deadeye it feels like.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users