Redfall (Vampires, Open World Co-Op Shooter)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
UE4 is almost always terrible at texture streaming but this is the worst I've ever seen. Textures constantly unload even right in front of you, the ground turns to pea soup, etc. Jedi Survivor is a masterpiece by comparison.

Some really weird shit with the loot too, like this when I went to pick up a rifle off the ground:

rifle.jpg

You can't loot the guns enemies have either. I guess they only come from crates and stuff like the above pic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Arkane makes my favorite games. Single-player, first-person, immersive sims with exploration and heavy environmental storytelling are what I want to play until I die. Was absolutely heartbroken about this being a co-op looter shooter or another Left 4 Dead (loved those games, but plenty of non-Arkane studios can make them), but apparently over the last 3 months they hired a marketing department and this game is going to be fantastic.
Fucking... FUCK. What a waste.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
This game makes Division 2 look like a masterpiece. The movement is janky as fuck, the AI and game balance is all over the place and the core game is just dumb. Here's an example:

Health packs. You can carry 5 (initially) and the drop semi-infrequentlt from human mobs. You heal to full when entering a safe house, but you can only get guaranteed health packs from the main base and they cost $$ to get.

There's is also seemingly no penalty for dying and zerging an encounter, so if I am just doing normal non-boss shit I'll just fight until I die and then run back rather than use a health kit. If I'm at 5 and there are some health kits in the ground I'll go ahead and use one and replenish it but otherwise I'm just kamikaze-rushing every encounter.

Just damn poor game design.

Then there are the characters. I started as the telepathic chick only to find out her abilities are limited to the umbrella shield/missile and the elevator spring-launcher. It's right there on the edge of being creative, but with the lack of uses for the elevator (since the game has to function even if you don't have someone with the ability in the squad) it just seems silly. Then you get the ultimate ability at level 5. I thought she might go Phoenix Force and do a huge attack or maybe a timed period of psychic minigun fire.... Turns out her ultimate power is to summon her 'vampire ex-boyfriend' who runs around for a bit hitting enemies. Just dumb.

Vorph

Anyone still dead-set on trying this dumpster fire for themselves, save yourself some hassle and start as Devinder. Translocate is like a much more useful version of the elevator (can even upgrade it for a big heal on use), arc javelin is great for dealing with multiple vampires at once (definitely the tree to max out first), and blacklight is an amped up version of one of the most useful weapon types (UV light might seem shitty vs. bosses, but shatter them with a stake launcher instead of melee and you'll see).

It's not just medkits that are retarded either. Ammo is even worse since it costs 1250 to refill whether you just fired 1 pistol bullet or you just emptied your entire stockpile into a boss.

Loot is a joke too. There's no crafting/upgrading/modification, so if you like killing off the cultist enemies without drawing the attention of the entire block you'll want a suppressor on your gun. These seem to just appear randomly and you'll only know it's there by actually looking at the gun model in your inventory which makes evaluating whether or not each drop you get is useful even more annoying than in other games with a similar leveled loot-tier system. Also I haven't seen any storage/stash whatsoever, though I guess it's really not needed with a loot system as basic as this. You'd have to be the most extreme masochist alive to be concerned about saving guns for a second character.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I have unlimited internet and won't even waste the neighborhood trunk :p

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Just remember, 99% of the time a game has “fall” in its title it’s bound to be trash.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
This looks like a ripoff of Back4Blood, shit atleast ripoff the good games like Left4Dead or TF2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

This looks like a ripoff of Back4Blood, shit atleast ripoff the good games like Left4Dead or TF2.
Uh, what? You're not even talking about the right genre there. Redfall is nothing like those games. It's a shitty looter-shooter that had all the GaaS stuff Zenimax wanted to get in on ripped out when MS bought Bethesda. Closest comparison would be something like Outriders, except that Arkane somehow managed to make their game even worse than that.

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm not very far in, but if someone said this was made with the tools they released to let you make new game modes in Fortnite I might not have instantly thought they were lying if I hadn't already heard of the game...

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So after you finish the Redfall map based around the Firehouse (which is essentially a tutorial) you go to a second full town which is a suburb of Redfall with two more 'Vampire Gods'. I'm guessing their season pass will consist of adding in more and more of these maps with new content that people can run through.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I mean if youre gonna make a looter shooter, how bout making sure the shooting feels good first, then work on the rest. Just looking at that shit makes me laugh. Shit on Outriders and even the broken ass unfinished Anthem, but at least the shooting in those games felt good.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
lost me at the hot pinks and purples, that shit just blasts you in the face everywhere now

yuck

Caliane

there is a fun game buried in this sadly.

There is some Forspoken diversity going on here, I think Nirgon is noting. Its not as in your face as Forspoken or saints row, but its still there.
US coast guard lady who is so very Puerto Rican. she tells you nonstop.
"telekinetic threat with the student debt" purple afro fellow kids.
edgy the hedgy with his raven.
south Asian UK guy.
reverend eva.
In a Massachusetts island town. yeah. so very Martha's vineyard.

Im playing this solo. I can't imagine how this plays co-op. It can't be fun. Open world, survival sandbox co-op. I could get. this game, with 7daystodie setup. fantastic setup. or arc/conan style. on to something. But, vermintide style quest progression in an open world? host only progress? it'd be trying to wrangle chickens.

mkopec is right. the gunplay feels off.

System requirements are high. or poorly optimized. insane popin on my system. tough to aim without missing. my system is old, fair enough. but, still should be noted, its dragging more then other games. watching streamers, also seeing the popin, visual artifacts, etc too.

A.i. is beyond stupid. mostly standing around to die. difficulty is all over the place. 99% cake. then, heres 8 vampires at once for some reason. heres a boss? that gives you a giant black bubble around you, so you can't see shit. also, you can't even see the boss, as its behind some wall or some shit.

Picking up loot for cash. needs to stand out more. world is full of visual props.. telling what is loot and what is not, is so annoying ESPECIALLY in a game thats supposed to be co-op. nobody wants to wait around as you slowly loot a place. if that was the game focus, and built for it, like a survival base builder, sure.

same with stopping to read notes. who puts this shit in a co-op mission game? devs PLAY games right? they know none one sits around waiting for you to read this shit right?

so theres a big mismatch in the core game. It'd be a great world/base design for a survival sandbox. homebase with events that popup for you to go do. very similar to 7dtd. I've not played state of decay. is that how that plays? its open world, preset base right? which you upgrade? we should be recruiting survivals, have base defense, etc...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
There is indeed something buried in this mess. The zerg-rush nature of the setup wherein you get quickly ganked and then run a short distance back to continue fighting is just really weird. It results in almost no gravitas to the encounter and actually causes me to do things like willingly kamikaze against a swarm of trash vamps because I don't want to waste a health pack that I'll want to use in a boss encounter later. After I have 'angered the Vampire Gods' they eventually cause a Rook Storm which causes red lightning to strike all over the place as a jacked gymbro vampire chases me down. But since death is just losing 10% of my 'currency' I just take the hit from the dude and get respawned 40 feet away. Once he has 'killed' you he despawns and the event counter goes back to zero.

The layout of the towns is actually quite nice and has a variety of structure and flow to it interspersing large open spaces with tight cramped quarters. The overarching storyline is even shockingly reasonable and immediately evocative of The Secret World in so many ways that I doubt it can be a total coincidence.

I've only played Layla so far and I can honestly say her whole 'kit' of abilities is shit. Her parasol shield missile is pretty darn nice as a defensive move / AE attack that gets stronger as it absorbs shots, but it doesn't do jack for melee (which is what the vamps do) and while it can be used in place of a stake to off a vamp the cooldown is long enough that it is a waste to do so most of the time. Her 'elevator boost' is designed for a completely different game. It would be handy in fortnite but here? I honestly have only ever used it to get to the tops of houses for puzzles. I mentioned her 'ex boyfriend' before and the few times I remembered to use it I was stunningly underwhelmed. Maybe the other characters have better abilities? I would certainly hope so.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Reading all the terrible reviews of this game and all I can think of, "this looked gay af from the get go".

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

After I have 'angered the Vampire Gods' they eventually cause a Rook Storm which causes red lightning to strike all over the place as a jacked gymbro vampire chases me down. But since death is just losing 10% of my 'currency' I just take the hit from the dude and get respawned 40 feet away. Once he has 'killed' you he despawns and the event counter goes back to zero.
Rooks are simple to kill* and by just giving up against them you're not only losing 10% of your 'supplies' but also missing out on the best guaranteed source of loot. Even nests don't drop a gold item every time.

* - Freeze with UV, headshot with stake launcher.

Maybe the other characters have better abilities? I would certainly hope so.
Dev definitely seems best, and I don't even think it's remotely close having played Jacob a little and looked at the cringy DEI characters' skill trees.

Javelin will one-shot almost any vamp it hits directly or stun a group of both cultists and vamps if you throw it into the ground. Translocate is superior to Lift in every way and really only needs a single upgrade (the heal) ever. Blacklight freezes just about any vamp for a simple melee (stakethrower if boss) kill. Plus he has passives for a damage buff as soon as he's noticed by enemies, and another that lets him put vamps into stakeable state easier and it lasts longer.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Outriders was great

It was, but it had no lasting appeal once you beat it. You could continue to upgrade your gear for the sake of upgrading, but because it wasn’t live service, it had no “meaning” beyond your own motivation to keep playing

Kind of like Vampire Survivors - you can get wtf powerful but once you unlock all the secret shit, there isn’t much reason to play since the gameplay loop at max tier is boring