Relo: Chicago --> The Heart of Crazy

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Good news: my fiance got a permanent job offer. Bad news: my fiance got a permanent job offer in fucking Mountain View. To make matters even more fun, his permanent position starts in the middle of January. I've done U-Haul twice before, and I'm sick of it; I will probably do all the packing, and then the movers will do all the loading and unloading.

However, I am probably going to have to cart my car halfway across the country. I have done the I-80 route before, and I am...somewhat apprehensive about taking a 110 HP car over the Rockies in the middle of January. Does anyone have any experience with the southern route (I-44 --> I-40) and then taking I-5 on up? Basically just looking for information about how steep the mountain grades are and how the weather is. Thanks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The worst part of I-80 will be the Sierras. Done that drive before and the only mountainous parts are heading into SLC and the Nevada-California border for the descent into the Central Valley. It was snowing very hard and they were making people pull over to chain their tires. I-80 kind of avoids the steep parts of the Rockies. The Wyoming stretch is extremely flat. Weather in northern Nevada can be unpredictable, but at least it's flat.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
I moved from Chicago to Las Vegas in January a few years back and I did the more Southern route through OK City and Albuquerque (I-40). It's about 3 hours longer to go this way according to google maps, but you mostly avoid the crazy traffic things. For your trip you can detour through Las Vegas and have nice night in Vegas, or stay south through Flagstaff which can have some random winter weather.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I’ve taken the both routes about 5 times and if you aren’t worried about time, just go south. It’s fucking boring as all get out, especially after Oklahoma City but believe me when I say that I was shitting bricks trying to drive down the section of mountain from Denver towards Vail in a moving van in the middle of winter.

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve taken the both routes about 5 times and if you aren’t worried about time, just go south. It’s fucking boring as all get out, especially after Oklahoma City but believe me when I say that I was shitting bricks trying to drive down the section of mountain from Denver towards Vail in a moving van in the middle of winter.

Awesome, thanks. I was shitting bricks descending into the Salt Lake City valley on 80, and that was in the middle of the summer in a 4-wheel drive SUV. No way in hell I'd do that in my Mazda2.

Also neglected to mention that it's a manual in addition to being a 110 HP subcompact. :p

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Awesome, thanks. I was shitting bricks descending into the Salt Lake City valley on 80, and that was in the middle of the summer in a 4-wheel drive SUV. No way in hell I'd do that in my Mazda2.

Also neglected to mention that it's a manual in addition to being a 110 HP subcompact. :p
And here I was balancing my desire to do 140 ish that stretch with whether there might be state patrol around....

• 1WTF

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
sleevedraw sleevedraw

2018 Kawasaki H2SXSE.jpg

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
sleevedraw sleevedraw

I am currently huffing raw wokeness for a work conference here in San Francisco. I mean we joke about it and shit but seriously. This place is absurd. That's even coming from someone who lives in Austin, TX.

Godspeed!

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
What did you deal with? I mean I believe you, but I wanna hear what absurdity you dealt with.

Note that I still love living here and don't want to be anywhere else.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What did you deal with? I mean I believe you, but I wanna hear what absurdity you dealt with.

Note that I still love living here and don't want to be anywhere else.

Saw a dude injecting drugs standing on the sidewalk on market. Like amidst hundreds of people in broad daylight. This was next to Twitter hq.

Having to dextrously avoid, I assume, drugged up passed out homeless people who also pass out in the middle of the sidewalk.

I was never really sure of the human shit thing. But sure enough human shit piles I did see. I also saw a homeless guy taking a shit next next to the convention center as I was walking in. Tents everywhere. Got grossed out of Peet's coffee by 5 dudes reeking of urine as they came in got a cup of hot water and read the paper and shit.

Saw several people chimp out and fight in the street.

And the general SJW rhetoric outright plastered all over the walls in the convention center.

The usual I guess?

Note I never strayed farther than the office and the hotel really. Like one square mile.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah it sucks that's the only area many visitors ever see. At least those for conventions. That's not something that most people who actually live here deal with.

Twitter and Uber are clients of mine so I'm there pretty regularly. That strip of Market between 6th and 9th is just awful. And I highly doubt this Market St being pedestrian-only initiative will help. The people that run this city are kind of retarded.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I was there Monday-Weds. Stepped over 2 piles of human shit otw to our office and saw about 12 homeless on my 3 block walk from the St Regis. Didn't really deal with a alot of super-wokes though, to be fair. Another beef I have in SF - I have literally never had a great meal while inside the city. The best I can grade is "pretty decent" at Yank Sing. I do need to try House of Prime Rib though.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I was there Monday-Weds. Stepped over 2 piles of human shit otw to our office and saw about 12 homeless on my 3 block walk from the St Regis. Didn't really deal with a alot of super-wokes though, to be fair. Another beef I have in SF - I have literally never had a great meal while inside the city. The best I can grade is "pretty decent" at Yank Sing. I do need to try House of Prime Rib though.

Going to the wrong places. Food scene here is fantastic. If you're only going to restaurants in FiDi or other business areas the good food options are somewhat limited. A lot of those places range from "OK" to "bad".

And skip House of Prime Rib. Go to Bobo's. Best steak in the city. The bone-in filet is very good.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Alex Alex so that was the Measure D thing I saw some people protesting/yelling about?

What is the logic behind that lol? Bikes on the Market Street bike lanes seem like the least of their problems.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Prop D is way more than that. It's a tax on Uber and Lyft so that they have to pay for some of the infrastructure costs in SF. Road repairs, public transit, and bike lanes. It goes beyond just Market St and it passed by a rather large margin.

Bigger thing is starting in January Market St will be public transit and pedestrian only. No civilian traffic. I have no clue how the city will be ready for such a drastic change in such a short amount of time. Gonna make traffic even more of a shit show. But anything that makes public transit more efficient again is mostly a plus to me.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Prop D is way more than that. It's a tax on Uber and Lyft so that they have to pay for some of the infrastructure costs in SF. Road repairs, public transit, and bike lanes. It goes beyond just Market St and it passed by a rather large margin.

Bigger thing is starting in January Market St will be public transit and pedestrian only. No civilian traffic. I have no clue how the city will be ready for such a drastic change in such a short amount of time. Gonna make traffic even more of a shit show. But anything that makes public transit more efficient again is mostly a plus to me.
oh jesus i remember driving down market st to get out of san fran, jfc, it's like 4 fucking lanes and 2 of them are for fucking bikes and then you got the fucking bus in the god damn middle and then barriers just popping out the rode designating slow cars and bike lane? i mean wtf.

so then, all those bike lanes will be gone?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Bike lanes are staying. Just civilian auto traffic will be no more.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm sure they haven't thought that far yet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users